Nepal gear list

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Re: Nepal gear list

Postby corvus » Thu 05 Nov, 2015 8:51 pm

Whilst not being anywhere near an UL walker I own and have used some essential LW gear IMHO :) Ocean Signal PLB1 147g with pouch, Sleeping Bag 900g Warmth Unlimited Pure and Dry -5 % ,Tibetan Titanium 550 Mug with lid (water boil and tea cup only) 89 g,MSR 1lt Titan Kettle and lid 127g(good cook pot),Snow peak Sea to Summit Titan Spork 16g,Survive Emergency Whistle 9g, BRS UL Titan Gas Burner 25g and Black Diamond Ion Headlight 31g.
These items would be the least I would consider for even a Summer Walk in Tasmania so cannot get my old head around this base weight concept :? :)
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Postby whitefang » Fri 06 Nov, 2015 12:18 am

corvus wrote:Whilst not being anywhere near an UL walker I own and have used some essential LW gear IMHO :) Ocean Signal PLB1 147g with pouch, Sleeping Bag 900g Warmth Unlimited Pure and Dry -5 % ,Tibetan Titanium 550 Mug with lid (water boil and tea cup only) 89 g,MSR 1lt Titan Kettle and lid 127g(good cook pot),Snow peak Sea to Summit Titan Spork 16g,Survive Emergency Whistle 9g, BRS UL Titan Gas Burner 25g and Black Diamond Ion Headlight 31g.
These items would be the least I would consider for even a Summer Walk in Tasmania so cannot get my old head around this base weight concept :? :)

Once you stop taking unnecessary items it's quite easy to get your weight down. So long as you have a lot of disposable income. If you were able to spend a decent amount on good quality, but light pack, tent, sleeping bag you'd be on a good start to going UL or close to it.

As an example of going light in pretty extreme environments Andrew Skurka had a baseweight between 8.2kg and 6kg for his 4700 mile Alaska-Yukon expedition in 2010 (his first 4.5 weeks were spent skiing in temperatures ranging from -23C to -12C on average). These weights included skis in winter and a packraft for summer.
whitefang
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby under10kg » Fri 06 Nov, 2015 8:01 am

It already sounds like you are a member on a number of the UL forums on the net & you clearly didn't need to (but seems like you wanted to) come on this forum to cause trouble.

This is incorrect on both statements.

I posted a question or two on backpackinglight forum a few times over the last 5 years that that is it.
I wanted some feedback from other ultralight gear guys here about my gear list for nepal because I was doing the harder 3 passes trip this time compared to the tea houses trips I had done before.

This is a ultralight gear forum and I still feel you should not post here (even though some posters had good intensions) if you do not use ultralight gear as a lot of the earlier posts seem to indicate. Nepal is different from Tasi with tea houses every 1 to 2 hours. (no need for a cup or stove!) I read with interest some later posts discussing some of the gear I used.

I would be interested to see a discussion on my conclusion that with care, my gear in October in Nepal was much safer in many ways than the traditional gear at 15kg plus. I did put a lot of thought and observation of gear on this trip for this conclusion.
under10kg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 06 Nov, 2015 1:00 pm

Perhaps some of the comments were because few of use were aware that you were going to be stopping in /at tea houses for all of your liquid and food needs as well as overnite accommodation
If you need comment on your choices of underwear that is too much of a personal comfort matter but I would have chosen the new Patagonia Cap 4 over merino wool
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby stry » Fri 06 Nov, 2015 1:59 pm

under10kg wrote:I would be interested to see a discussion on my conclusion that with care, my gear in October in Nepal was much safer in many ways than the traditional gear at 15kg plus. I did put a lot of thought and observation of gear on this trip for this conclusion.

No thinking person would disagree with the proposition that (all things being equal) lighter is safer. Less strain on joints, less chance of a slip, gentler landing if things go wrong, better hill climbing, less fatigue, etc. etc. Advances in technology and lightweight gear, and walking poles, are the things that have made much walking still a possibility for many of us.

The trade off point between lightness and safety and/or comfort is where the argy bargy begins.

U/L is another example of the 80/20 rule. IE: One can obtain 80% of the benefit for 20% of the cost (NOT $ cost :lol: ) If one unthinkingly pursues that last 20% of benefit, the chances of paying 100% of the cost increase disproportionately.

I nearly always like to have a "hunker down" option. Of the two items in your list that caught my eye, you have attended to one - socks that weigh 40gms a pair and runners, in snow, would simply not cut it for me. Frostbite would be a very real possibility. I have dodgy ankles, and the footbed of any runner that I have tried, simply does not give my foot the support that it needs. Flat footbeds lead to pain for me very quickly. Loose snow falling in the top is another issue, but as I have been only a tourist in Nepal, I don't know if this is relevant.

The 89g bivvy bag is another. My lightest sleeping bag cover is approx 100/150. For me the hunker down option would require a bivvy bag in the true sense of the word, and this would be difficult to achieve at much under 500gms.

All the clothing would work for me, but could be marginal for me, as there does not appear to be a reserve, and I get cold when I stop at the end of the day. The weight of the shell does not suggest robustness, but that doesn't mean that it is not sufficiently robust for the use to which you put it. My 880gm bag would work for me in the conditions you describe.

Weight of the first aid stuff seems pretty low, particularly considering that that you were in a third world country.

Without getting super detailed, I think there is a good chance that without applying U/L for the sake of it, with what I have (dont have a b/bag) and use already,
I could probably be around 10kg for the trip as you describned it. IE: I would be aiming for the 80% of the available benefit from weight saving.

U/L, like hammocks and quilts, is a development that has very real applications and can extend our horizons.

All three can be seen in a bad light, perhaps at least partly as a result of the evangelistic fervour of a few proponents who seem insistent on promoting their use in any and all circumstances.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby johnrs » Fri 06 Nov, 2015 4:06 pm

Dingboche on October 31 looked rather Snowy.
Attachments
Dingboche.jpg
Dingboche.jpg (77.61 KiB) Viewed 16943 times
johnrs
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby wayno » Fri 06 Nov, 2015 5:51 pm

even ultralighters go home to live in buildings don't they? and how heavy are they? :mrgreen:
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Supertramp » Sat 07 Nov, 2015 12:07 pm

under10kg wrote:
It already sounds like you are a member on a number of the UL forums on the net & you clearly didn't need to (but seems like you wanted to) come on this forum to cause trouble.

This is a ultralight gear forum and I still feel you should not post here (even though some posters had good intensions) if you do not use ultralight gear as a lot of the earlier posts seem to indicate. Nepal is different from Tasi with tea houses every 1 to 2 hours. (no need for a cup or stove!) I read with interest some later posts discussing some of the gear I used.

No...
This is a forum dedicated to bushwalking. Most of the members on this forum are traditional bushwalkers with their old school gear (will last a lifetime, but break your joints) this Ultralight section of the forum was created due to those oldschool gear users putting down (unintentionally) a UL user, hence this section. A lot of people that do not fit the category still come and voice their opinions/concerns, that is to be expected as this is still a forum with 95%+ of the users not fitting into UL weight categories.

Considering my pack fits into the UL category I feel as though I am able to comment in this thread more than most that have (Sounds cocky, but I do not mean it like that).

Again, I'm glad your trip went well, I still ask though, what shelter were you using & would it survive 100km/h+ winds and snow?

I know my gear & I can safely say that it wouldn't survive a night with those conditions, nor would I want to try.
Supertramp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby wayno » Sat 07 Nov, 2015 12:17 pm

from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby aloftas » Thu 19 Nov, 2015 4:24 pm

its kind of a sad indictment on society, if a broad range of expressions cant be aired without the obligatory pandering to political correctness or the ego.

Gone are the days where a billy can be boiled and the warmth of a fire can provide some cheer and camaraderie.

Gone are the days where one can camp on a farmers verge, being welcomed.

And so it goes on, until what we have is a bunch of preening opinions.

Where is the joy?

Where is the encouragement of a divergent opinion?

Same old tired voices lambasting the pioneering spirit.

You know what, viva le difference!

As an example
I took my solar panels off my kayak because I got sick of the dumbass questions and the dumb *&%$#! assumptions and the pedantry of the stultification of the ignorant mind.

I shudder to think how we would cope if we were cast back to 1903 or whenever the Orrible Orville and the wacky Wilbur set their contraption to flight.

Open your minds.
aloftas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Thu 19 Nov, 2015 5:55 pm

aloftas wrote:As an example
I took my solar panels off my kayak because I got sick of the dumbass questions and the dumb *&%$#! assumptions and the pedantry of the stultification of the ignorant mind.

*shrug*
You could always have ignored the people and kept the panels. Your choice. Unless we're talking an official opinion that there were major safety issues . . .
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby jdeks » Tue 15 Dec, 2015 10:13 am

Holy *&%$#!, I just found this thread.

Can we have it bookmarked or something?

I estimate it is at least 23 - 36% funnier than anything else I've read here.
jdeks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby aloftas » Tue 15 Dec, 2015 10:17 am

we try to stick to facts, ideologies and whatever marketing hype we wish to adhere to.

Sadly, the humeric lexicon is sometimes lost, in the hurry to walk 100 miles a day carrying nothing but a latte.

Peace.
aloftas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby aloftas » Tue 15 Dec, 2015 10:20 am

"we" being simply a collective term, which does not imply or infer any similarity, carriage of intellectual properties or other imbued statements of self.
aloftas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Previous

Return to Ultralight backpacking