Dyneema Fishing Line

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Dyneema Fishing Line

Postby Aushiker » Sun 29 May, 2016 8:53 pm

I am looking for some 1mm to 1.5mm dyneema cord and notice that it is also sold locally as fishing line. Has anyone tried the dyneema fishing line as guylines etc. I believe it is preferable to have coated dyneema but not sure if the fishing line is coated.

Anyway hope to get along to a fishing shop in a couple of days for a look see but thought I would ask here as well.
Andrew
Aushiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Western Australia

Re: Dyneema Fishing Line

Postby Mickl » Sun 29 May, 2016 10:48 pm

Might be worth trying some spearfishing sites/shops as well as they often use think dyneema on spear gun reels...
Mickl
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Gadgetgeek » Mon 30 May, 2016 6:40 am

I only use it as fishing line, and nothing near that thick. It should work, knots are more difficult, and once they are set that's all there is, but thicker stuff might be different. I use stuff that is the equivalent diameter to 12lb mono, so pretty thin stuff. One thing to keep in mind is that it is capable of giving a nasty cut if you let it slide over skin under load.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 30 May, 2016 6:52 am

I bought a 150metre reel of 32lb line for less than a dollar at Safeway last year for sewing with. Far too light for using as anything but lashing or sewing really and yes it gives a nasty painful cut
Look in the discount bins first
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Aushiker » Mon 30 May, 2016 6:04 pm

Thanks everyone. I might take a look tomorrow but it does not sound promising. I see Ultralight Outdoor Gear in the UK sell Lightwave Lightning guylines which is 1mm Dyneema braid so that is an option, but an expensive one.
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Gadgetgeek » Mon 30 May, 2016 6:27 pm

From how easy zing-it is to work with, I'd go with that and learn to splice. the only other thought would be the stuff from picharpak workshop, he has some with reflective trace, and a 17$usd for 10m it better be good stuff.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Aushiker » Tue 31 May, 2016 3:58 pm

I dropped into Oceanside Tackle and Marine today and thanks to the helpful staff picked up 5m of 1mm braided cord similar to Dyneema for $5.00. It is coated cord, meant not to stretch and has a load high rating. Should do the trick for me.
Andrew
Aushiker

Return to Ultralight backpacking