Wanted: MSR WindPro Stove

Once an item is sold, found or thread is no longer needed we move it here. These maybe helpful for historic reasons.

Wanted: MSR WindPro Stove

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Mon 18 Mar, 2013 10:47 am

I'm chasing a MSR DragonFly Stove if anyone has one they don't want anymore.
Last edited by ULWalkingPhil on Thu 11 Apr, 2013 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Queensland

Re: Wanted: MSR Dragonfly Stove

Postby nq111 » Mon 18 Mar, 2013 8:27 pm

Top stove.

Have you considered a primus omnilite? - a little better still in many regards.
nq111
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby stefham » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 7:06 pm

Hi
are you still looking for a MSR Dragonfly? I have one available, if you are interested,let me know
stefham
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 9:32 pm

stefham wrote:Hi
are you still looking for a MSR Dragonfly? I have one available, if you are interested,let me know

how much?
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: Wanted: MSR WindPro Stove

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Thu 11 Apr, 2013 9:28 pm

I been offered a Dragonfly, but under close examination of images posted to me, I noticed that the Stove has a Flame Adjuster on the stove it's self.

My plans are to use this stove as a heat source for a Bemco Backpacking Oven. Looking at a exploded view of the Dragonfly I found an image online, it has O-Rings on the flame adjuster that's attached to the stove, I think the O-Rings will melt with the heat generated from the Oven causing a leak from the flame adjuster on the stove. I've had two gas stoves do this so far. I might need to look for a stove with no flame adjuster on the stove it's self.

Further investigations is warranted. The DragonFly is a great looking stove, but that O-Ring on the flame adjuster I'm very concerned with, particularly when where talking about Shellite here.

A MSR Windpro, looks to be the ideal solution. I don't see any signs of a O-Ring on this stove.

Anyone have a MSR Windpro they want to sell?
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Thu 11 Apr, 2013 9:41 pm

Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Thu 11 Apr, 2013 9:48 pm

ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Thu 11 Apr, 2013 9:49 pm

ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Thu 11 Apr, 2013 10:05 pm

Strewth that's cheap, (yeah, its one I forgot to relist) better make mine saaaayy $60 delivered? Actually, no, maybe not.. iv'e seen what happens when your not happy with something- LOL

PS.. It is possible to invert the canister (of sorts) but you might consider windpro 11 as well Phil..
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Maelgwn » Fri 12 Apr, 2013 12:22 pm

Phillipsart wrote:I been offered a Dragonfly, but under close examination of images posted to me, I noticed that the Stove has a Flame Adjuster on the stove it's self.

My plans are to use this stove as a heat source for a Bemco Backpacking Oven. Looking at a exploded view of the Dragonfly I found an image online, it has O-Rings on the flame adjuster that's attached to the stove, I think the O-Rings will melt with the heat generated from the Oven causing a leak from the flame adjuster on the stove. I've had two gas stoves do this so far. I might need to look for a stove with no flame adjuster on the stove it's self.

Further investigations is warranted. The DragonFly is a great looking stove, but that O-Ring on the flame adjuster I'm very concerned with, particularly when where talking about Shellite here.

A MSR Windpro, looks to be the ideal solution. I don't see any signs of a O-Ring on this stove.

Anyone have a MSR Windpro they want to sell?

Most shellite stoves don't have the adjustor on the burner, only on the bottle. e.g. Whisperlite, simmerlite etc ...

However Windpro is a good choice, its my go to stove for most bushwalking purposes.
Maelgwn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Craig D » Fri 12 Apr, 2013 2:41 pm

I've got a brand new MSR Whisperlite Universal if you're interested? Wide variety of fuel choices ;)
Craig D
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Fri 12 Apr, 2013 3:35 pm

Craig D wrote:I've got a brand new MSR Whisperlite Universal if you're interested? Wide variety of fuel choices ;)

How much?
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Craig D » Fri 12 Apr, 2013 4:23 pm

$150 inc postage?
Craig D
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Fri 12 Apr, 2013 4:41 pm

Craig D wrote:$150 inc postage?

Very tempting. Let me do some research, I need to make sure it don't have any O-Rings first.

I watched some Youtube video's on the stove, it appears to have good simmer control in gas mode from what I can tell.

What's included for this price?
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Craig D » Fri 12 Apr, 2013 10:18 pm

The price includes everything that is in the box. I've opened it tonight and taken some photos for you.

There are no o-rings anywhere near the burner - check out the manual for confirmation: http://media.cascadedesigns.com/pdf/MSR ... LOWRES.pdf

Starting in the top left hand corner and going clockwise, there is; the box, stove with tags still attached, repair kit and jets, gas canister stand (for running inverted), adaptor for liquid fuel, liquid fuel pump, aluminium windshield, instruction manual and lastly the bag.

All you'll need is a gas canister to get underway. Alternatively buy a fuel bottle, choose a petrochemical of your choice, switch the jet over and away you go.
Craig D
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Giddy_up » Sun 14 Apr, 2013 12:28 pm

Not sure if these have the O rings that are your problem but could be worth a look, and sure to cost plenty of $$$$$$$

http://www.optimusstoves.com/seen/optim ... imus-vega/

G_U

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
causa latet, vis est notissima
Giddy_up
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Strider » Sun 14 Apr, 2013 12:40 pm

Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Sun 14 Apr, 2013 2:21 pm

The Whisperlite Universal looks great, but the weight I'm a bit concerned with, as I will be carrying this with my Oven. I originally had planned to take my Featherlite XL Alcohol Stove with me on those occasions, but it's not been successful. In real world environment, it does not obtain high enough heat and it don't last long enough, as it's limited to 2 ounces at most of fuel.

At this stage the Windpro 2 listed above looks to be the stove,
I have a serious of hikes coming up in the next few weeks, 4 planned overnight hikes of upto 3 days each in a 4 week period, possibly 5, mixed with lot's of day hikes in between. I'm seriously reconsidering taking my Bemco Backpacking Oven with me on this occasion. I need all the funds I can get for my hikes and holiday's. For this reason, unless I can pick up more work in the next week or two over my regular work, I might leave the purchase of a new stove till after I return from my holidays, which will be sometime in June.

Thanks everyone for your advice.
Last edited by ULWalkingPhil on Fri 03 May, 2013 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Sun 14 Apr, 2013 2:29 pm

I can't see myself ever using Shellite fuel, I find it just to dangerous to cart around and it's expensive. The 6 times I've managed to use my gas burner, baking 2 Pizzas I used up less than 20 grams of gas, which is very economical. I think the Windpro 2 with a gas canister is the lightest stove thus far that I can find that should be suitable for me without adding to much weight.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Sun 14 Apr, 2013 2:40 pm

Last edited by ULWalkingPhil on Fri 03 May, 2013 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Wed 17 Apr, 2013 11:38 am

Craig D wrote:The price includes everything that is in the box. I've opened it tonight and taken some photos for you.

There are no o-rings anywhere near the burner - check out the manual for confirmation: http://media.cascadedesigns.com/pdf/MSR ... LOWRES.pdf

Starting in the top left hand corner and going clockwise, there is; the box, stove with tags still attached, repair kit and jets, gas canister stand (for running inverted), adaptor for liquid fuel, liquid fuel pump, aluminium windshield, instruction manual and lastly the bag.

All you'll need is a gas canister to get underway. Alternatively buy a fuel bottle, choose a petrochemical of your choice, switch the jet over and away you go.

Can you tell me what the weight of this kit in Gas Mode is?
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Wed 17 Apr, 2013 11:54 am

I tried my Bemco Oven again last night, this time indoors with my Packafeather XL Alchohol Stove, It's amazing the difference this makes indoors, Indoors I was able to Bake two lot's of Muffins, 20 minutes each time. That's 40minutes burn time at 350F. Outdoors, your lucky to get 300F and burns out in less than 20 minutes. What concerns me the most is the amount of Soot buildup in the Oven from the Methylated Spirits.

Overseas they obtain huge succes with alcohol stoves in the Bemco Oven. The Denatured Alcohol they use in the states, I think is a lot better than what we have here.
I have spoken to someone that works in the fuel industry and asked him about our Methylated Spirits compared to the Denatured Alcohol they use in the states and he informed me that there no where alike. Denatured Alcohol is a lot more pure than our Metho, and also informed me our Metho has a lot of water mixed in it.
For this reason, I'm going to forget my plans of using a Alcohol Stove for a heat source in my Backpacking Oven.

The stove will need to be as light as possible. So far my chooses are between the MSR Windpro 2 and the Whisperlite Universal pictured here. In saying this, I am looking into another system much lighter system for baking while out hiking. Have not decided if I will take my oven with me to Sydney in a couple weeks. Depends if I can sell what I have listed in the for sale section of this forum. If I can sell all of those items it would certainly make my decision a lot easier.
Last edited by ULWalkingPhil on Fri 03 May, 2013 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Maelgwn » Wed 17 Apr, 2013 2:26 pm

Phillipsart wrote:I can't see myself ever using Shellite fuel, I find it just to dangerous to cart around and it's expensive. The 6 times I've managed to use my gas burner, baking 2 Pizzas I used up less than 20 grams of gas, which is very economical. I think the Windpro 2 with a gas canister is the lightest stove thus far that I can find that should be suitable for me without adding to much weight.

Not expensive in Adelaide. 1L of shellite and 230g of gas are similar in price.

Phillipsart wrote:
The stove will need to be as light as possible. So far my chooses are between the MSR Windpro 2 and the Whisperlite Universal pictured here. In saying this, I am looking into another system much lighter system for baking while out hiking. Have not decided if I will take my oven with me to Sydney in a couple weeks. Depends if I can sell what I have listed in the for sale section of this forum. If I can sell all of those items it would certainly make my decision a lot easier.

Fire maple 117t would be a lighter remote canister gas stove. No preheat tube tho, so cant be used with an inverted canister - not an issue unless going to cold places.

Fire maple 118 is also an interesting option.

Certainly neither is as proven as the MSR. Not sure if there are o-ring seals between the gas hose and the bottom of the burner.
Maelgwn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Craig D » Wed 17 Apr, 2013 9:09 pm

Phillipsart wrote:Can you tell me what the weight of this kit in Gas Mode is?

Box says it's 268g minimum, 430g packed. Minimum would be for burner configured for gas (jet and adapter), whilst I assume the packed weight would include the canister stand for inverted operation, windshield and bag.
Craig D
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby dinnerdish » Wed 28 Aug, 2013 9:03 pm

stefham wrote:Hi

Hi
Stefham,
I just joined, and noticed this topic and your post.

Do you still have the stove to sell?

Thanks.
dinnerdish
dinnerdish
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Return to Sold Claimed Closed and Expired