Comments requested - fabrics for lightweight shell mitts

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

Comments requested - fabrics for lightweight shell mitts

Postby Mark F » Sat 03 Dec, 2011 2:42 pm

Hi

Your input is sought. I am just about to make a pair of simple lightweight mittens for cold and/or wet conditions as these seems to have disappeared from outdoor shops. My primary aim is lightness but I am not willing to spring $45 + postage for MDL eVents mitts at 25g.

Other factors:
I have a simple 3 piece pattern from Lance Marshall of Enlightened Equipment (http://www.wvi.com/~ulmyog/rain%20mitts.pdf) that I have prototyped and am happy with the fit (size Medium).
I use walking poles so I want a more robust and less slippery palm than say sil-nylon but the back and wrist sections to be as light as possible.
In really cold conditions I will layer with polypro or merino gloves.
I will use these for 3 seasons walking - no skiing or snow trips. I really wanted them 19-20 December last year with 30cm of snow falling around Grey Mare when doing the AAWT.
I am not concerned about long term durability - if they get ripped up I can make another pair in an evening.

In particular, I am in two minds about fully waterproof and possibly sweaty vs water repellent but breathable.

I have various materials lying around. For the back and wrist sections I am debating between:
sil-nylon -53 gsm - light, waterproof, slippery
3 layer Goretex 147 gsm - I think too greater likelihood of body oil contamination and a fraction heavy. Could be used for the palm/thumb section.
2.5 layer WPB 135gsm - similar to the Goretex. Not sure of contamination issues.
Epic Malibou - 58 gsm - Not waterproof but breathable and with a good built in DWR so no need to renew it.

Palm/thumb section
Dyneema pack cloth 155gsm
1.9oz pu proofed nylon taffeta
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Comments requested - fabrics for lightweight shell mitts

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 04 Dec, 2011 10:18 am

Slip-not

http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Kits/ ... bric-Black

for the palms is probably the fabric with the most grip and greatest wear, although pack cloth or canvas works almost as well as the grip is easily improved by lines of silicone; for the backs almost any fabric would do what you ask. Even lightweight cotton japara which has the advantage of breathing very well
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Comments requested - fabrics for lightweight shell mitts

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 04 Dec, 2011 10:22 am

That pattern is similar to mine, the only thing i did was to increase the size of the back panel, I make mine wider and longer, by adding a fold on the back it curves around to follow the natural curves and becomes much more comfortable
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Return to Make Your Own Gear