MYOB 3 layer insulted (IX) underquilt

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

MYOB 3 layer insulted (IX) underquilt

Postby Bluegum Mic » Wed 30 Nov, 2011 2:34 pm

Im very excited to finish this project. I've been waiting a while for the materials (IX was out of stock). The ripstop nylon, IX, grossgain and shock cord all came from DIY gear supply. Scott is fantastic to deal with and great prices. Its also his design for the underquilt. Very easy instructions.

Overall took me 6 hours and I was being careful. Great little project and works great. Apologies I forgot to take pics during the cutting and dart process.

Very happy with the result and just kipped out for a couple hours. It seals well and was rather breezy/gusting whilst in it. Folks in the US have taken this to zero (and below). It weights in at a whopping 490grams rigged. I tend to roll my hammock and the two stay together rolled and fit in my hammock bag).

Pics-
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: MYOB 3 layer insulted (IX) underquilt

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 30 Nov, 2011 2:51 pm

How thick is the finished quilt? When you say 3 layers is that the outer inner and insulation or did you use 3 insulation layers??
my outer fabric is the same pattern by the way, it was the cheapest at the time
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Bluegum Mic » Wed 30 Nov, 2011 2:58 pm

Hi there,

Its not very thick at all. IX is not a lofting insulation. It is thin and relies on an air gap between layers to trap heat (the design of this differential cut quilt relies on offset darts to create the space between layers). Its very similar to the thin packing you get around a new TV.

It does squash as well as it rolls/folds. Its good however as you can compress it till the cows come home and it won't affect it. Ill go upstairs and take a photo of a scrap.
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Bluegum Mic » Wed 30 Nov, 2011 3:02 pm

Ere you go! As you can see its paper thin. Apologies for the photos. Tapatalk has gone nuts and is uploading pics in supersize. Its also crashing lots (grrr at recent updates).
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby phan_TOM » Wed 30 Nov, 2011 4:51 pm

Looks great Mic,

I'm wondering how and where you've attached it to the hammock, it looks like it fits perfectly. I'm guessing that you used 'shock cord' from each of the UQ's corners but I can't see where it goes to the hammock from your pics, does it loop around the hammock suspension near the gathered ends? Any trouble with it trying to slide up either side of the hammock when you move around inside and leaving the other side or the bottom exposed? I've heard of other people having that problem and mine was doing it to start with but I managed to fix it by tying a loop in the UQ suspension where it attaches to the hammock, works a treat.

I like the camo material, very cool, it definitely goes with your stealth tarp :wink:

No doubt they will go to zero, I've been to 5 comfortably and plan on a trip out west next year when it cools down and see how it goes a bit lower
ALWAYS be yourself.
Unless you can be outside, then ALWAYS be outside.
phan_TOM
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Bluegum Mic » Wed 30 Nov, 2011 5:49 pm

Gday phantom.

The suspension is as follows. The shorter ends both have a 32inch piece of shock cord sewn in one end, cord lock at the other. The rest of the shock cord goes down one long side then feeds back up the other with the ends in a cord lock. My hammock has grossgrain loops near the gathered end so instead of just resting the shock cord up on the hammock, I've fed the cord through these loops so it stays in place (Ill take a close up on the weekend when Im out with it). It slides well and I can adjust every point from within the hammock. Really happy with it :-)
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Make Your Own Gear