Rebuilding my Supergaiters

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

Rebuilding my Supergaiters

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 22 Nov, 2011 4:57 pm

Just a quick query asking for advice.
I have an old pair of Chouinard/Scarpa supergaiters that are not quite dead yet.
For my forthcoming trip to Northern New York state in the USA; which fabric would be best to line the upper body of the gaiter with?? Upper body is worn a little thin and is uncoated coarse weave nylon oxford.
Cotton duck? heavy but breathable and can be treated with Nikwax.
Japara? lighter, more breathable less windproof also treatable with Nikwax
Goretex?
EPIC?
Urethane coated WPB?
Polar fleece for more warmth?
Thinsulate for even more warmth
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Rebuilding my Supergaiters

Postby Orion » Wed 23 Nov, 2011 3:39 am

Wow, you still have a workable pair of those things? How did you keep the rubber rand from cracking to uselessness?

The ones made in the mid-90s had Ultrex on the top part, lined with a wicking polyester mesh.
The bottoms were tougher, some sort of extra-beefy coated cordura.

The first time I bought a pair was a year they had a shortage of the rands and they used the next size down
rands on some the gaiters. I got one of those pair and, not knowing better, tried my best to put it on a boot.
You know the program: put it on the heel then pull it to get it over the toe. Well I pulled so hard on that toe
rand that when my hand finally slipped off I punched myself in the face and gave myself a black eye!
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 23 Nov, 2011 6:50 am

Armorall
it contains a UV inhibitor.
30 years old and just starting to degrade but I reckon I can get another couple of seasons out of them
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby andrewa » Wed 23 Nov, 2011 6:23 pm

Depends on what you are going to be using your "Rebuilt" SG for...

For skiing in the US, where I presume it's going to be really really cold, I'd prob just put a waterproof nylon top on, as you aren't going to get much condensation, as your feet/lower legs aren't likely to be sweating much, esp through plastic boots (it was you who had just got he new T1/2 boots, wasn't it?)

For using them for walking in warmer weather, where you might sweat, I'd use a breathable fabric.

Wouldn't put insulation on them unless you are really worried about the cold - wouldn't you just have your insulated pants down to boots, and they would insulat your shins enough. The purpose of the gaiters is more to keep the snow out for your use, isn't it?

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 23 Nov, 2011 7:29 pm

I was thinking of using the "rebuilds" for my old leather boots, just in case I want to do some skinny skiing, my old Scarpa leather ski boots are no where near as warm as my T1s, but thinking things through when I ski I get fairly warm and just the gaiter on its own should do the job.
Remote no longer sew rands for these ( haven't since Andrew sold the business apparently ) so when they die I'll need to buy a replacement.
I'll think it through and make the decision after I pull the stitching although at only $70- for a new pair maybe it isn't worth it
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby andrewa » Wed 23 Nov, 2011 9:29 pm

Or re-sew the rands by hand, as I have done. It's not that onorous.
Andrew ...can't remember his surname, started working in MDs when I was working there part time as a student in the eat 80s. He went on to run "One planet", didn't he? I went on to finish Medicine. They were fun days. MDs was flourishing, and designing some great gear back then. That was where my passion for making gear started.

If the rands are in good condition keep them, and design some new ones around them. You should be able to out design what you can buy!
A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 24 Nov, 2011 7:04 am

No the rands are on the way out, None left in Australia and Berghaus have not replied to any of my emails asking if replacement rands are still available.
Funny,I couldn't remember his last name either, but the business was called Aiking his family name is King
I agree that MD had real gear in those days, well designed and totally fit for purpose, my Foxhole was specially modified for me with extra HD goretex at the foot box and custom work was accepted. I still have my Everest down jacket with the Pertex shell.

Paddy Pallin used to keep spares but not for many years.
I admit to a problem with spatial geometry; I have trouble trying to translate a 3 dimensional shape into a flat pattern.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Make Your Own Gear