Paramo style top help please

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

Paramo style top help please

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 25 Oct, 2011 12:52 pm

After wet week-end experiment I think it is time to have a go at making a top.
I have some metres of EPIC fabric and I can use this as the outer.
I also have some cheap polyester mesh, some old Paddys Dritec mesh and some stiffer lightly resinated mesh in my cupboard.
I prefer pullover tops and I like a long length.

his will be a mid-layer and i want to leave enough room for at least 2 sets of underwear.
How should I size these?/ I haven't ever examined a real Paramo top to look at the cut and I cannot decide on the correct fit Loose and baggy or cut closer??

Will I need pit zips ? or am I better off with slit hems opening from the bottom and a half zip to the waist line ??

how many layers of mesh? The stuff I got from Paddys is brilliant at moving sweat and in a top over a long-john under a windproof provides just enough insulation for fast skiing.
A lot of questions and I'm hoping some-one in the community has the experience to help me decide on the best design
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Paramo style top help please

Postby photohiker » Tue 25 Oct, 2011 1:28 pm

Well, I have and use one, so perhaps I can help...

Mine is the now discontinued '5th element' Jacket. It is reasonably close cut - I can fit a light fleece under there with my base layer, but not much else.

It has no pit zips, the arm and shoulder section is removable, leaving me with a vest. I occasionally use this, but really if I get too warm in the jacket I take it off unless its raining.

I don't know what the material is. I doubt its epic, but there are multiple layers in there - Paramo call the inside the 'pump liner'. I don't know, but I reckon there must be at least 3 or 4 layers including the inside and outside surfaces. It does work for me (beading on the surface) as long as I maintain the Nikwax treatment. I've never gotten wet in it, and it seems to stay dryer inside than my goretex jacket. The garment as a whole is insulative and wind resistant. Warmth is probably about the same as a 100 weight fleece.

As far as zips and splits, if you size the garment to be relative close fitting then you will need them to get it on and off unless of course you use stretch material. My Paramo is not stretch, but it is quite soft material, especially compared to a gortex shell.

HTH...
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 25 Oct, 2011 4:26 pm

Photohiker thanx; is the lining mesh or a taffeta type of fabric in your jacket?

I'm going to use the EPIC because that's what I have, I think it may be better with the taslan polyester but I got the EPIC cheap via eBay so i need to use it or my wife will murder me
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby andrewbish » Tue 25 Oct, 2011 4:32 pm

Moondog55 wrote:..I got the EPIC cheap via eBay so i need to use it or my wife will murder me

I am hoping she said something along the lines of "Epic?! You better use that stuff or I'll give YOU an epic!"
Twitter: @andrewbishxplor Blog: Trails & tracks
andrewbish
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby photohiker » Tue 25 Oct, 2011 7:05 pm

Moondog55 wrote:Photohiker thanx; is the lining mesh or a taffeta type of fabric in your jacket?

It has an open weave mesh across the top of the back, (shoulder blades and up) the rest is a light lining fabric. I don't think it's taffeta though...
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 29 Oct, 2011 9:57 am

Given that information I would be happy with a full mesh liner then, I can use the cheap stuff as the middle layer and use the good hard-wearing mesh as the liner fabric.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Make Your Own Gear