Rab Quantum Top bag quilt conversion

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

Rab Quantum Top bag quilt conversion

Postby Bluegum Mic » Tue 25 Oct, 2011 9:41 am

I've seen this quilt converted on the hammock forums before (however the hoodless version). When Jeremy put a new one up for grabs in the market square I couldnt resist.

The bag arrived yesterday and its perfect to mod. The footbox, top/sides and hood are down. The back panel is simply a single layer of quantum fabric with a second layer sewn for securing a sleep pad. This bag will be a dream come true as I love the quilt concept, but I also love a hood. Ill have the best of both worlds. Ive already removed the pad sleeve which simply leaves the quantum back. I plan on cutting out a large section and simply sewing a grossgrain edge to finish. This will make more sense with pics which ill add by the end of the day :-) But to enter the bag/quilt (its really going to be a hybrid of the two) you enter via the large cut out via the back. This will be easily done in my hammock but will also mean it will stay on me more snug and secure than a quilt. Happy :-)
Top view
You can see the rectangular panel ill remove most of
Another feature that's nice for a hammock is the loops. You could tie it off the hammock end to keep in place.
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Rab Quantum Top bag quilt conversion

Postby Bluegum Mic » Tue 25 Oct, 2011 11:46 am

Back removed now (ie where you enter the top quilt)

Grossgrain pinned to reinforce/tidy up edge

Sewing

Finished

Excuse my posterior

Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Rab Quantum Top bag quilt conversion

Postby ofuros » Tue 25 Oct, 2011 4:46 pm

Made me chuckle when I saw you all mummified and a pair of eyes in da hood. :lol: Wasn't expecting that.
The modified mummy looks good, i like the idea of the easy access of a top quilt, while still
keeping the head insulated by keeping the hood intact, should work well in the hammock.....my annual Tassie trip springs to mind....
....hopefully you'll give us some feed back on its first trial run, the next time time you go bush. Go girl !
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Return to Make Your Own Gear