280g Hennessy Hammock underquilt

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

280g Hennessy Hammock underquilt

Postby andrewa » Sat 22 Oct, 2011 9:10 pm

Yep, I'm in production mode at the moment........

Just made shell for my HH hammock UQ this evening.

Dimensions 155cm long, 50cm at foot, 100 at shoulders (35 cm down from head end), and 50cm at head. Put 2cm "drawer cord" type channels around each of the edges, which will allow some shock-cord to be placed appropriately when I finalise the suspension system.

Shell made from 0.9oz nylon - 130g. I put baffles in longitudinally at 13cm spacing, and did a poor man's differential cut, sewing them straight onto the inner, and then curving the outer seam, cutting off the excess mesh.

Planning on using my remaining 150g of 900 loft down to fill it, making a total weight of 280g for the UQ.

Hopefully piccies tomorrow.

Andrew A
Last edited by andrewa on Sun 23 Oct, 2011 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Re: 280g Hennessy Hammock underquilt

Postby HitchHiking » Sat 22 Oct, 2011 9:22 pm

Sounds like a great bit of kit eh! I hope you sewing machine is well oiled as its seems to be running non stop!
:D

Looking forward to the pictures
Evan- Terra Rosa Gear, Handcrafted adventure equipment from Melbourne.
HitchHiking
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.TerraRosaGear.com

Postby ofuros » Sun 23 Oct, 2011 5:45 am

Me three, can't wait to see pics of the finished product....if you keep
this up I'm going to have to buy some material & have a go myself !!
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby andrewa » Sun 23 Oct, 2011 10:26 am

UQ finished. Used only 95g of down, so total weight 225g, loft again about 5cm.

Haven't worked out suspension system yet, though lots of adjustments possible with the edges all having "drawer cord" style channels. Prob going to use 4 press-studs at head end corners, and bungee cord at foot, so allow it to be pushed aside for exit from hammock bottom, and some thin elastic in the channels to snug the quilt up under my hammock. In theory, once I've got the shape with the elastic, it can probably just be sewn in place, as I can't see that it will need to be adjusted again.
Attachments
UQ resized.jpg
UQ resized.jpg (63.95 KiB) Viewed 87760 times
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby andrewa » Sun 23 Oct, 2011 5:44 pm

Fiddled with hanging the UQ this arvo. It seems to fit quite nicely, despite the asymmetrical lie in the hammock. Fortunately I can attach the whole thing with 6 press-studs, with elastic around the perimeter. All the cord in the photos below was just used to work out how much tension was needed to snug it up. Also, attaching the quilt doesn't hinder entry/exit, as the quilt crosses the velcro closure about 6" from where it starts, so no need for long bits of elastic etc.
UQ 004 resized.jpg
UQ 004 resized.jpg (72.9 KiB) Viewed 87741 times

UQ from head end resized.jpg
UQ from head end resized.jpg (75.09 KiB) Viewed 87741 times

UQ from head end 2 resized.jpg
UQ from head end 2 resized.jpg (93.52 KiB) Viewed 87741 times

Andrew A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby HitchHiking » Sun 23 Oct, 2011 6:27 pm

Classic Coffin and in red! Looks the part mate, well done. Looks like you should go pretty low in temps with it as well.
Evan- Terra Rosa Gear, Handcrafted adventure equipment from Melbourne.
HitchHiking
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.TerraRosaGear.com

Postby andrewa » Sun 23 Oct, 2011 8:31 pm

Thanks, Evan. At least the red makes the "impossible to see at night" hammock potentially visible! Maybe some reflective tape would also have been in order.

It seems pretty cozy, and I've made it as minimalist as I could. I'm actually hoping it isn't too warm, as lying in hammock with UQ today for 5 mins was miles hotter than I had anticipated. I'm working on the concept that heat goes up. Must say I'm pretty amazed at this Thru-hiker 900 loft down. It really pumps things up.

This quilt/UQ project was the last major one prior to going to NZ in Jan. Glad they are done. Next project is a new deck for my packraft, and some new UL inflatable PFDs. Fortunately done all of this before.

Sewing machine might be quiet for a little while now.

AA
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby cams » Mon 24 Oct, 2011 10:03 am

Looks great. So did you sew press studs into the hammock for it to attach to?
cams
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby andrewa » Mon 24 Oct, 2011 10:55 am

No, haven't attached press-studs yet. Got distracted with the rugby. I'm just going to put a hot nail through the hammock and some reinforcing fabric, and bang them in, rather than sew them on. Also want to think a little more about the shock-cord, and need to adjust it, as I wonder whether there may be times when I want the UQ hung loose to let out some heat!

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby downunderhang » Fri 28 Oct, 2011 9:58 pm

I'm curious where you got the idea to use press-studs. Have you tried it out yet? It seems to me that movement inside the hammock could cause them to pop off which is why most suspension methods I've heard of use shock cord. Looks like you got a pretty snug fit though - is that just with the 6 press-studs?

I'm also interested to see that you have tapered the UQ towards the head and feet. I've been thinking of doing this too but have been wondering why it hasn't been tried - all the UQs I've seen seem square/rectangular. I'll be interested to hear if it gives you enough coverage.
downunderhang
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby andrewa » Sat 29 Oct, 2011 8:37 am

The 6 press-studs seem to work OK in the minimal testing that I have done, however my final plan is to use 3 fixed studs down one side, and attach the studs on the other sides to a little elastic, so that there is some "give" to prevent this happening.

The taper seems to provide enough coverage when I was lying in quilt. I based the shape on dimensions people seem to use for pads. It doesn' over my feet and lower legs, but I plan on just putting a small pad down there if needed. The yanks seem pretty hung up on using their hammocks in freezing conditions. Mine will mainly be used in warmer months, as the only really cold weather camping I do it above the tree-line, where I figure a hammock has reached it's limit! If I was making an UQ for these temps, I'd make it bigger.

Hope this helps.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby downunderhang » Thu 03 Nov, 2011 6:24 pm

Thanks Andrew. Be sure to give us an update when you have given it a trial out in the bush. I'm really interested in how the press studs hold up and whether you get enough coverage to keep you warm.
downunderhang
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby andrewa » Thu 03 Nov, 2011 8:12 pm

Press studs on one side, press-studs plus elastic on the other. There's enough potential movement in this to allow me to wriggle (a lot - at home) without detaching anything. Hangs at home have confirmed that all the insulation is under my body and head, and fine when lying on an angle- probably more head insulation than needed, perhaps hotter than needed, but hoping that hanging UQ loose will vent this heat, but feet are definitely bare, as planned - rucksack to be used here if needed.

Next design might have shorter head section, and longer foot section to even all this out a little more.............. but it seems pretty good so far. In fact, I'm wondering whether the warmth from the UQ might be such that, for my particular use, a TQ may not be needed - just sleep in MB ExL jkt and MB pants, which I've not done (taken) before - normally slept in clothes, with SB used as a quilt, and mostly off me, as it was too warm.

First bush use may not be until Jan in NZ. I have faith that the system will work! However, if I have a chance to use it before then, I'll let you know.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby andrewa » Wed 25 Jan, 2012 7:56 pm

Just returned from a 12 day trip to NZ, using my HH for the first time.

Despite my best efforts with this UQ design, which I thought was perfect, I froze my butt off each night, until we "went almost to ground", and slept in hammocks on our Alpacka rafts.

We were in the Kahurangi NP at the top of the Sth Island, fishing a river valley. Night time temps were prob about 10C. It was a little breezy, but NTB. Each night we got cold butts, until we decided to sleep on our rafts. I was surprised, as I thought this UQ design, albeit short, hugged my body reasonably well, except for my feet, but I wonder whether it hung a little too low below my hammock, and the air gap meant there was no insulation between the quilt and my body. I also noticed that the breeze really cooled things off a huge amount, which was particularly noticeable the 2 nights when I slept either without the tarp, or with the tarp rigged up loosely over my hammock. My mate slept on a windscreen protector, with no UQ, and again froze his *&%$#! off, but was a even warmer when on the raft than I was.

The bottom line was that I was surprised about how cold I was. Whilst comfortable in the hammock, I was actually more comfortable sleeping on my raft (and warmer). THe only reason I used the hammock on the raft was to keep the sand-flies off.

?Any thoughts.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Wed 25 Jan, 2012 9:50 pm

Ive been in temps down to 10 drgrees celcius in my hammock using a warbonnet 20F underquilt and it was very windy. I was very warm. Had no problems with my UQ. In fact im kind of looking forward to winter to see how cold i can get down to in my hammock

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Queensland

Return to Make Your Own Gear