MYOG Remote canister Stove

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

MYOG Remote canister Stove

Postby Tony » Fri 16 Sep, 2011 9:38 am

I made this stove a few years ago and originally posted a write-up here 8.8g remote canister stove in 2008, since then I have made a few improvements/modifications to it and used it in the field a few times, as there have been a few new members who would not have seen my original post and with advent of the MYOG sub-forum I though I would do an updated write-up and photos.

I call this stove SUUL, it weighs 16.7 grams, it is possibly the lightest remote canister stove in the world.

I can use STD canisters or with an adapter that I made it can use Coleman Max canisters, the max adapter weighs 9.6 grams, the STD canister stand is an old spray paint can lid that I have cut down, it weighs 4.9 grams but I sometimes use a rock or a stick to hold the canister upright.

I sent the stove off to Roger Caffin for CO levels testing the results are extremely good with the maximum CO level of 14.4 ppm at very high power, but at the more usable medium power they are a excellent 4.8-5.9 ppm. Many thanks to Roger for doing these tests.

I have used this stove a few times in the field but I have found that it is to small for cooking for two, and I get complaints that it is to slow, when I have used it it has performed well but it is not an easy stove to use, I have a cut down JetBoil 1l PCS pot that I can use and a 550 ml Ti pot but prefer my trusty of 1 liter alloy billy which can be seen in the photo's.

Tony

Stove, pot and canister
16.7g remote canister stove
Close-up of valve
Mac canister adapter
Close-up of burner head and pot supports
The flame under the pot
With Coleman Max adapter and canister
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: MYOG Remote canister Stove

Postby andrewbish » Fri 16 Sep, 2011 9:16 pm

Nice bit of DIY, Tony.

Have you considered what would be required to improve the output ie. to boil the water more quickly and keep your hiking partner happy?

Also, have you used it in snow? How did it go?

Andrew

PS> I reckon Marty Gwynne's fabulous mug would look pretty good on your stove - just the right size.
Twitter: @andrewbishxplor Blog: Trails & tracks
andrewbish
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: MYOG Remote canister Stove

Postby Tony » Fri 16 Sep, 2011 9:31 pm

andrewbish wrote:Nice bit of DIY, Tony.

Have you considered what would be required to improve the output ie. to boil the water more quickly and keep your hiking partner happy?

Also, have you used it in snow? How did it go?

Andrew

PS> I reckon Marty Gwynne's fabulous mug would look pretty good on your stove - just the right size.

Hi Andrew,

Thanks,

I could get higher heat output but I would have to make the burner head bigger, but this was an exercise in making the lighest remote canister stove, I do have several bigger MYOG remote canister stoves but prefer to use my comercial stoves.

I have use this stove in the snow and it works very well, but slow to melt snow.

I see no reason to make the lightest stove and then put a heavy mug on it :)

Tony
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Return to Make Your Own Gear