MYOG synthetic quilt (2)

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

MYOG synthetic quilt (2)

Postby andrewbish » Sun 21 Aug, 2011 9:48 pm

Hi all

I made a quilt out of 5.0 oz Climashield Apex and Momentum a couple of weeks ago.

Just completed a a blog post about it. You can find it here.

Andrew

myogquilt27.jpg
myogquilt27.jpg (77 KiB) Viewed 7142 times
Last edited by andrewbish on Tue 27 Sep, 2011 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twitter: @andrewbishxplor Blog: Trails & tracks
andrewbish
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: MYOG synthetic quilt (2)

Postby Perry » Wed 14 Sep, 2011 11:16 am

Hi Andrew

Read your story with great interest. I am interested in your feedback concerning a problem/opportunity I have. I ordered a summer quilt (about 7 degrees C) from the US (Enlightened equipment - about $155 delivered, 490 grams) for a hike I was doing at Hinchinbrook island in Qsld). It arrived too late to use and so I had to go out and buy a cheapy sleeping bag to make do (a Roman Palm 1 for $66, around 680 grams). I now have 2 sleeping systems at around the same temp rating and want to get more value out of the EE quilt. Was considering putting a zip along the top outer seam so I could slip and out and extra layer of 2.5 oz Climashiked apex (or similar) - thus making its temp rating changable according to trip needs. The original layer would be good for summer and the extra layer would be good for colder climates. What do you reckon pros/cons/hints about execution. One layer slipping over the other and out of place is a concern, but thought I could stitch or use fabric glue to assembel a permament side/boundary strip to the main layer and then sit the extra layer inside the boundary strips - thoughts??. Also, do you know where one can buy Climashiled or another good continuous filament insulation material in OZ??.

Thanks

Perry
Perry
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby andrewbish » Wed 14 Sep, 2011 6:59 pm

Hi Perry

Was it the EE Prodigy with 2.5oz Climashield Apex you ordered?

As I understand it, you want to be able to insert an extra filament layer inside the quilt, against the existing filament. I think this would be doable as a once off, but I suspect that repeatadly inserting and removing it would lead to a breakdown in the filament before long.

An alternative would be to buy or make a down quilt. You could then combine the quilts for a great winter sleeping system - down quilt inner, synthetic quilt outer - and use them separately as appropriate for other conditions eg. synthetic quilt for summer, down quilt for autumn & spring. Would be a great project to do.

On the other hand, if you just permanently add another 2.5oz layer, you will find you can use down to some pretty cool temps, if you're dressed for it. It got down to -4C on Mt Arthur a few weeks back, but I was quite comfy (wearing socks, thermals top & bottom, gloves, fleece cap, fleece top, down vest)

I don't know of any Oz suppliers for this stuff. I went to Thru-hiker in the US.

Andrew
andrewbish

Postby Perry » Thu 15 Sep, 2011 7:18 pm

Hi Andrew

Thanks for the feedback - sounds like the frailty of the filament may foil may plans. Do you think it would work any better if I had a dedicated 2.5oz layer for summer and a dedicated 5.0oz layer for cooler temps - or would the insulation still detriortae when being removed and re-inserted?

Perry
Perry
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby andrewbish » Fri 16 Sep, 2011 10:06 pm

Hi Perry

I don't think the filament will cope well with being repeatedly handled.

Also, you would need some means of holding the filament in place. When I first made my quilt I had the filament loose in the fabric sleeve, with the result that the filament tended to bunch up. I ended up sewing a number of 4-5cm stitches through the quilt to hold the filament in place. You could perhaps do a few hand stitches along the edges.

Andrew
andrewbish

Postby Perry » Tue 20 Sep, 2011 3:17 pm

Thanks Andrew, that's great.

Perry
Perry
Nothofagus gunnii