MYOG Synthetic Quilt

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

MYOG Synthetic Quilt

Postby Bluegum Mic » Tue 16 Aug, 2011 9:01 pm

Well I figured it's time to start my post as I've begun making my first little project.

I'm making a synthetic quilt using 70d ripstop nylon for the shell. I considered momentum but being my first stab I decided to go with something cheaper. It's a groovy purple colour. For fill I've purchased 5oz climashield apex from thruhiker. From what I've read it's comfort rating for a single layer is around 5 degrees give or take.

My design is simple. Rectangular quilt, 3D footbox ie circular pad permanently sewn. The footbox I'll sew around 15inches up the quilt. I'm not someone who will open the quilt out so I'm happy to have a footbox at all times. I will put a simple drawstring at the neck as a draft collar and I'm considering a double layer of fill at the feet and hips (seeing as I'm a cold sleepin gal ;-)

I will update with images as I progress. Apologies in advance if I go quiet for a couple of weeks soon..holidays :-)

Starting to cut pad for footbox

Footbox pad sewn
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

MYOG Synthetic Quilt

Postby andrewbish » Tue 16 Aug, 2011 10:04 pm

Hi Bluegum

I just finished something similar last week. Great minds.. eh? :)

I love the colour - nice and bright !

Will post some pics of my all black effort soon.

Andrew
Twitter: @andrewbishxplor Blog: Trails & tracks
andrewbish
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: MYOG Synthetic Quilt

Postby Stibb » Wed 17 Aug, 2011 12:11 am

Love the color too. I want to see lots of pictures and details here :wink: I have this idea that I will make some stuff myself completely forgetting that I've always been hopeless with the sewing mashine :(
Stibb

Region: Tasmania

MYOG Synthetic Quilt

Postby andrewbish » Wed 17 Aug, 2011 9:38 am

@stbb The sewing machine is your friend (but getting the right thread tension can put some stress into the relationship :) ). Practice by making a stuff sack or two. I look fwd to seeing some of your work in the not too distant future.

Andrew
andrewbish

MYOG Synthetic Quilt

Postby Bluegum Mic » Wed 17 Aug, 2011 1:42 pm

Day 2- I've quickly been able to cut the quilt fabric and insulation whilst my toddlers napping. I've actually change my mind on the design slightly and have tapered the quilt ie 86cm at the foot, 120cm and neck/shoulders. As you can see I've also cut the extra strips of insulation for the feet and hips as that's where I often feel the cold the most.

Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

MYOG Synthetic Quilt

Postby Bluegum Mic » Fri 19 Aug, 2011 11:40 am

Dawn of day 3...DIY disaster!!

I've only just calmed enough to post this update. ;-)

After a great day 2 I'd managed to sew the shell, secure the insulation and was ready to work on the draft collar. Walking out for the evening I made a fatal mistake...I left the study door open. Kitty decided that my quilt neatly folded on the chair would make a superb bed...once fluffed up endlessly with her razor sharp claws. Needless to say by the next morning my new quilt had plenty of new ventilation points in the fabric. Thankfully she has simply pulled the fabric and not affected the insulation. Sooooo I have unpicked my stitching, retrieved my expensive insulation, thrown the fabric in the bin and banished kitty from my sight!

So new fabrics on order, I'm off on holidays so I'll report back once I'm back in production. Thankfully the shell is easy to cut n sew.
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby andrewbish » Fri 19 Aug, 2011 2:00 pm

Bad kitty!!

Sorry to hear about your feline-driven set back, Bluegum. :(

I had the same concern while making mine. (Naughty cats at my house get the chance to test the theory that they "always land on their feet").

Andrew
andrewbish

Postby north-north-west » Fri 19 Aug, 2011 6:20 pm

1,001th use for a dead cat: use the fur to trim your quilt.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Bluegum Mic » Tue 13 Sep, 2011 8:17 am

Right!

Relaxing, gorgeous trip to NZ for two weeks complete...check!

Kitty banished from being anywhere near the study...check!

New fabric arrived...check!

Thankfully the day after getting back the new fabric arrived. I've been busy this week so I've just done things in small bursts. I've also changed a couple of things too. When reordering the fabric i got berry (purple) and black this time (for the inside). I've also spent the last couple of days pondering over the footbox and came up with a design that im happy with. I've actually attached the circular pad with non catching velcro. Thus in hot weather i can open the foot hole if hot.

Now all that's left to do is finish the draft collar and add some straps.

Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby HitchHiking » Tue 13 Sep, 2011 1:07 pm

Looks great Mic ! Im sure your very proud.

Great idea on the velcro bottom.

Youll be very pleased witha black inner.
Evan- Terra Rosa Gear, Handcrafted adventure equipment from Melbourne.
HitchHiking
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.TerraRosaGear.com

MYOG Synthetic Quilt

Postby andrewbish » Tue 13 Sep, 2011 6:00 pm

Great quilt!

I like the detachable end. If I make another quilt, I would prob have the entire footbox detachable, using Velcro and snaps.

Andrew
andrewbish

Postby andrewa » Tue 13 Sep, 2011 11:15 pm

Nice project. Bad luck about the cat. Worse if it was a waterproof outer.............like much much worse.

Another way of making a foot box if you sometimes don't want one............

Make your quilt about 6" longer than needed, and flat. Think about the best way to attach the edges of the lower quit together - either an open end zip (12-24"), or some press studs, and sew a sleeve across the bottom of your longer quilt into which you put a draw cord. When you want you foot box, zip/press-stud the lower bit together, and pull the draw cord up tight. When you don't want i, you can have a flat quilt. No tricky circular sewing, or velcro.

I apologise if this isn't clear, but it's difficult to describe. I can attach photos of this if anyone really needs them.

My more recent (note that this is not my"ultimate one", which I'm about to make when my nylon and 900 loft down arrives from thru-hiker) sleeping bag functions as a quilt using this "foot box" design. I've made 5 sleeping bags to date, varying from the full on goretex shelled, differentially cut baffled designs, with vertical baffles over the chest of the 80's, through to the ultralight quilt style of recent years - sometimes quite a cerebral challenge. I add that it's really hard to think about chucking out the former, when the latter is so much more efficient
Andrew A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 21 Sep, 2011 2:27 pm

The drawcord foot really works
My first sleeping bag was a Kimptons ( anyone remember them??) Antarctic.
In the 1960s this was the very best bag available that was made in Australia ( of course there were rumours of better European bags ) and the dawcord foot was one way of being able to use a bag with 3pounds of "Superdown" other than snow conditions.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Bluegum Mic » Tue 27 Sep, 2011 7:48 am

Well Im pleased to say its finished. It weighs next to nothing (ill weigh it when i get my new scales as my old ones broke). I've added the draft collar. Must say Im rather chuffed :-)

One to start on my next project...an IX underquilt for my new hammock :-)

Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Tue 27 Sep, 2011 9:48 am

Does it have baffles or some sort of attachment/sew thru mic (or does that insulation stay together ok)?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Bluegum Mic » Tue 27 Sep, 2011 10:04 am

Hi nuts.

Its climashield apex which doesn't require baffles etc. In fact i think it would create cold spots if baffled. Its run through at base and top edge and secured in the centre with some stitches. Some people just run through one corner to secure it. Being continuous filament it stays together really well :-)
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Tue 27 Sep, 2011 10:09 am

Cheers mate, nice job btw
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Thu 27 Oct, 2011 11:52 am

hi mic, i'm thinking of making a sleeping bag this way. Cuben base, silk inner and momentum outer for the top.. do you see any problem's here?
So when you place the Xp into the shell its slightly smaller? ie not just sewn through with the fabrics, i'm having a hard time picturing this part.. :?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Bluegum Mic » Thu 27 Oct, 2011 12:43 pm

Hiya nuts.

People do just slide it in and then sew across a corner. Hitchiking has done an awesome YouTube clip on this. Search for terrarosagear on you tube and you'll find the synthetic quilt he made.

Personally I found the apex loves to catch on ANYTHING ie. Rough skin in fingers, uneven finger nails, thin air... ;-) so it can be a pain to make it behave. I found it much easier the second go (after kitty cat won round one) cut your top and bottom fabric, then sew the perimeter of apex directly to what will be the inside surface of the bottom layer of the quilt ie the piece that is in contact with you. Sew the top and bottom fabric so its inside out leaving the top hem unsewn. Turn it inside out so the apex is now in the centre and sew the top/add the draft collar etc. I found this way really easy and simple. I apologise if I haven't explained that well.
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Thu 27 Oct, 2011 2:47 pm

Perfectly mic, sewing it to the inner upper lining is a great idea, thanks.
I actually recall seeing one where the top was velcoed shut , so it could be opened/turned inside out to air but iirc it was for a cuben vapour barrier style quilt..
I guess the XP catches on the sewing machine (foot or base) Did you sew it with the fabric on top?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Bluegum Mic » Thu 27 Oct, 2011 3:19 pm

Hmmm. I actually think I had the insulation up and sewed slowly making sure the foot stayed out of trouble. I think I was concerned having insulation side down as I didn't want to catch it on the top of the bobbin casing etc and not see it till it was too late. I figured if it was facing up I could watch it. Actually I've had a flashback (sorry Im in a headcold haze) I only sewed the bottom edge and a little up the sides. I then just hand stitched it in a couple of spots further up the sides.
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Fri 28 Oct, 2011 4:54 am

Bluegum Mic wrote: (sorry Im in a headcold haze)
hmm no good, looks like youv'e had it longer than me!

Maybe a small strip of fabric on top might make sewing easier. I 'm still waiting for the insulation, I got 2 lengths of 250 wt XP, only really wanting a summer bag ( 3/4 sized bag) so i might be able to get away with one layer (i'm thinking).. I was considering 4 fabric layers, cuben bottom and momentum top with (more or less) a silk s/b liner sewn in. The top trapping the XP and the bottom silk layer forming a sleeve for the sleeping mat (between it and the cuben fibre). I cant see why it wont work (could be missing something though :| ), kinda hybrid sleeping bag/waterproof, bivy style, floor tubb. Iv'e seen bits and pieces of this in similar designs people have made. I can always turn it into some warm underwear and dry sacks :)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Bluegum Mic » Fri 28 Oct, 2011 3:12 pm

Sounds good nuts. The fabric strips a great idea. Ill be interested to see the finished product especially how the floor goes.

Yes this damn colds a pain in the proverbial. Im fortunately starting to come good.
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Make Your Own Gear