Double sided adhesive tapes - help

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

Double sided adhesive tapes - help

Postby andrewa » Fri 03 Nov, 2023 10:29 pm

I can’t recall whether it was Simon from Tier Gear or Zpacks who sold me some venture tape previously for gluing DCF, however I’ve run out, and it didn’t have a model number on the roll, and I’m after some more.

Whatever I had worked well for DCF, and also glued nicely to X-pack fabric for seam sealing, using a strip of same fabric for backing.

I’ve been trying to search the 3M Venture tapes online, and it’s fairly difficult to work through what is what. I looked at 1163, but it’s not available. Venture tape suggested 1179, and then I spoke with a patient who is a sailmaker, who said that 1179 is very sticky, but not so when it’s been wet for a while.

I also recall reading somewhere about some of the more useful 3M tapes.

My use is largely trying to seam seal X pack and DCF with same fabric as backing. I will be sewing all the seams first, as previously found that glued seams were not as reliable as I wanted, although it was with whatever tape I have had!

Brains trust?

Many thanks.

Andrew
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Re: Double sided adhesive tapes - help

Postby icefest » Sat 04 Nov, 2023 11:03 am

If you want 3m then 9485 seems to be the go,

Alternatively CT-PSA is the seam tape made by DSM for bonding dyneema.

I trust extremtexil, and these are the tapes they recommend: https://www.extremtextil.de/en/accessor ... -tape.html
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: Double sided adhesive tapes - help

Postby andrewa » Sat 04 Nov, 2023 12:39 pm

Perfect. Thank you. Hopefully I can find an Australian supplier, otherwise I’ll go offshore.
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Return to Make Your Own Gear