Megalite wall addition

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

Megalite wall addition

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 23 Feb, 2023 12:53 pm

Uploaded picture taken from the GearLab review.
Having received those carbon fibre struts and bought some wide tape to make strut pockets from I'm close to adding the short wall as a permanent addition.
When setting up the old Megamid the usually pegging left the centre point well above the ground and pix show the MegaLite pitches the same way.
The struts will be in the corners and I am wondering if I should shape the side walls a bit or cut them flat and straight?
If I do cut them to have a rise in the centre of the panel I'd appreciate some ideas on how much lift I should give them; would 70mm be enough or perhaps a full 100mm?
I have a short length of strong aluminum tubing here to use as an extension on the centre pole so getting the height isn't an issue.
I've not had much luck in the past with extra venting; adding screened vents to my last Megamid failed, but if I did add one to a wall it would be in the centre, about half way up; I guess I'd need a vent cover.
I have no waterproof fabric left so I'll have to purchase, Silpoly or Silnylon and try and get locally or my usual of RSBTR??
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Megalite wall addition

Postby telemarktim » Sat 25 Feb, 2023 11:50 am

Hi Moondog, If you make the wall extension considerably longer (100-150mm) than is required, you can sew on the peg-down tabs to fit the pitched tent and the excess can be used as a bug/snow skirt. I also add small peg tabs to the edge of the bug/snow skirt to hold it down in strong wind or when the ground is uneven (I also use boots and pots etc when the wind is particularly strong). How much fabric do you need for the job? Tim
telemarktim
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 25 Feb, 2023 1:52 pm

G'Day Tim. Good point there
I've ordered some from Simon at TierGear and already paid him for 4 metres of 1500 wide Silpoly
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby telemarktim » Sat 25 Feb, 2023 4:02 pm

Moondog55 wrote:G'Day Tim. Good point there
I've ordered some from Simon at TierGear and already paid him for 4 metres of 1500 wide Silpoly

That sounds good. I hope you can share a photo of the finished project. Tim
telemarktim
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Make Your Own Gear