Custom made gaiters

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

Re: Custom made gaiters

Postby Orion » Tue 09 Aug, 2011 11:32 am

Yes you're absolutely right, it is harder than I made it sound. But not really all that hard. As said, you can copy an existing gaiter to get the fit. Or you can use some cheap material and fiddle with it and adjust it until it's right, then copy that.

What material do you want to use? I can work with cordura on the really cheap lightweight sewing machine I use. Sometimes the motor bogs down a bit, but no worries. The stitches on a gaiter aren't weight bearing, they just need to hold the pieces together and be reasonably durable. I've never had a store bought gaiter fail at the seams. The problems I have had are with the closures.

Paying someone to custom sew a gaiter would be expensive.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Bill P » Thu 11 Aug, 2011 9:26 pm

Hi. What are you all doing for the bottom strap? I'm thinking of 2mm dia stainless cable with fixed swages. Is that the most durable for rocks n stuff ? :? Bill P
Bill P
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Bill P » Sun 14 Aug, 2011 7:33 pm

Ah- I've just found some bicycle brake cable off cuts which will be ideal for the bottom strap. Bill P.
Bill P
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rob A » Tue 16 Aug, 2011 1:58 pm

Whipper snipper line, swage with brass ferrules you can get from fishing tackle shops. Works a bit better than stainless sometimes.
Every four seconds, somewhere in the world, an Harlequin Mills and Boon is sold ... Wot ...
Rob A
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Previous

Return to Make Your Own Gear