Custom made gaiters

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

Custom made gaiters

Postby Michael_Kingston » Wed 13 Jan, 2010 5:50 am

I have been following some of the discussions on gaiters because I have also been frustrated by their poor quality. I have had a number of pairs of S2S that have had stiching issues etc. I returned my current pair to Jolly Swagman and had them sent away for repair at no cost. They were only 4 walking days old!!!

When these ones wear out I am going to look at having some custom ones made. I was speaking to one of the staff at a city camping store trying to find an alternative to S2S and he was also commenting on their poor quality and the lack of alternatives. He said that, unless things have changed, DR Marine - Camping in South Hobart make excellent gaiters to the client specification (double or triple stiched, rear closure etc). He said he had some made 4-5 years ago and they are still fine. Bit sad when you can't even recommend the product in your shop, but it was refreshing to talk to someone so honest. Most shops in town look at me like I am making it up when I complain about S2S - the usual response is "we never get any returned." Perhaps everyone here should start returning their gaiters every time the stiching comes loose!!

I probably won't be investigating this further for another few months (depending on how long my current pair last), but thought that it might be of interest to others. It might also be the case that people in other areas could get them made by a canvas maker or someone similar?

It would be particularly good to hear from anyone who has some made by DR. I figure if a local business is doing a good job it would be great if people here can support it. Their phone number is 6224-7211 for anyone interested in checking this out.
Michael_Kingston
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Custom made gaiters

Postby jwalker » Wed 13 Jan, 2010 6:02 am

I haven't had gaiters made but would be very interested in the prospect. I have had a number of repairs done by DR and they have always turned out well. He is great guy to deal with too!
jwalker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby tastrax » Wed 13 Jan, 2010 7:23 am

I will second that - very good quality work. He has made a few custom items for PWS
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby Michael_Kingston » Wed 13 Jan, 2010 7:29 am

Thanks Guys - i might ring them in the next couple of days to see if they do gaiters and what sort of price they are. Probably won't order any for a little while, but I will post up what I find out.
Michael_Kingston
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ollster » Wed 13 Jan, 2010 7:33 am

Yes, my sleeper cell of bushwalkers had been talking about doing some "reverse engineering" on gaiters and getting someone to stich up a pair of uber-gaiters.

I think my list would be:
-Same or similar overall design to the regular gaiter I use (front opening, big velcro strip)
-Wire underfoot strap with metal fixtures
-Triple stiched with whatever the most abraison resistant stiching is
-No scratch pads, just super heavy canvas on the lower section
-Pull cord top rather than velcro (which just gets full of muck and pulls open in scrub)
-A bit of re-enforcing down the front al la the Cactus gaiters.
-My surname embroidered down the side of each leg, with my family coat of arms and jingly bells so I can be found easily (optional)

One of the guys had the fellow at DR do some work on his pack, and the dude seems to know his stuff.

I may well investigate, he's fairly close by.
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Postby Michael_Kingston » Wed 13 Jan, 2010 8:10 am

I figure that even if they cost $200 it would be worth it if they last. Better than spending $70 every 6 months.
Michael_Kingston
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ollster » Wed 13 Jan, 2010 8:27 am

Michael_Kingston wrote:I figure that even if they cost $200 it would be worth it if they last. Better than spending $70 every 6 months.

Exactly, I'm getting so annoyed at the StoS junk.
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Michael_Kingston » Wed 13 Jan, 2010 10:39 am

I tried to call David Ross at DR Marine and had to leave a message. He rang back when I was out but said that he is making gaiters to order. They start at $80 and then go up from there depending on what you want. Based on this I am guessing that $150 should get you something very good. This seems pretty reasonable considering you will be supporting a local business paying Australian wages.

I am away from this Friday for 9 days walking, but when I get back I intend to see him and get more details on what he can do and a definite price. I think your ideas are pretty good Ollster, although I might prefer a rear fastening system (which I had years ago). If anyone is interested in seeing him with me when I get back please leave a post here and I will PM you and try and work out a convenient time to see him and perhaps put in an order.
Michael_Kingston
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Drifting » Wed 13 Jan, 2010 12:53 pm

This is very interesting- my gaiters, OR freebies from Moontrail, ripped apart on my first use.
All good things are wild, and free.
Drifting
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Macca81 » Wed 13 Jan, 2010 8:58 pm

very pleased to hear this, as with calves the size of mine there is not a commercial gaiter that fits around without feeling a little tight, and those ones are then too tall... keep us updated if you go ahead with getting a pair made!
geoskid wrote:nothing but the best of several brands will do :)
Macca81
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Herbalife

Postby Michael_Kingston » Thu 14 Jan, 2010 6:19 am

Wil ldo Macca - I am going to se ehim around the 28th or 29th so will post here again to let people know how i get on.
Michael_Kingston
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ent » Sat 06 Feb, 2010 8:52 pm

Content removed by poster
Last edited by Ent on Fri 26 Nov, 2010 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Michael_Kingston » Sun 07 Feb, 2010 3:56 pm

hi Brett

I have just been swaped since getting back from my walk in January so I haven't done anything yet. Although if you look at one of my above posts you will see that DR Marine definitely does custom made gaiters and their contact details are included. Hopefully i will have time to follow up more soon.
Michael_Kingston
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ent » Sun 07 Feb, 2010 5:20 pm

Last edited by Ent on Fri 26 Nov, 2010 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby nakedape » Mon 08 Feb, 2010 1:35 pm

Yes, please keep us informed. If they're reasonably priced and built well I'll have some too. It was only last week, while fiddling with S2S gaiters that wont stay up with a bit of the Lake Judd-track mud on them, that I said to the other half "I'm gonna find me someone who can make a decent pair of these things and S2S can go !@#$ themselves".
nakedape
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Azza » Mon 08 Feb, 2010 9:46 pm

ollster wrote:Yes, my sleeper cell of bushwalkers had been talking about doing some "reverse engineering" on gaiters and getting someone to stich up a pair of uber-gaiters.

-Same or similar overall design to the regular gaiter I use (front opening, big velcro strip)
-Pull cord top rather than velcro (which just gets full of muck and pulls open in scrub)
-My surname embroidered down the side of each leg, with my family coat of arms and jingly bells so I can be found easily (optional)

One of the guys had the fellow at DR do some work on his pack, and the dude seems to know his stuff.

Same here I'm keen to investigate the options.

Fundamentally the main problem on all the gaitors is the stitching coming apart.
I think that somehow stitching the gaitor so the thread is not exposed on the outside would be the go.
The pull cords on my current gaitors are slightly more annoying that the velco on the s2s.
The cactus gaitors have really good lace hooks.
Azza

Postby north-north-west » Thu 11 Feb, 2010 2:58 pm

Please let me know how this goes. Like most, I'm jack of S2S gaiters and would like something that doesn't fall apart as soon as you look it. Though I do prefer a rear opening.
Would like a short pair too, for keeping socks/shoes seed-free during the summer and autumn.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Ent » Thu 11 Feb, 2010 3:03 pm

Last edited by Ent on Fri 26 Nov, 2010 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby blacksheep » Thu 11 Feb, 2010 7:35 pm

aljscott wrote:
ollster wrote:Yes, my sleeper cell of bushwalkers had been talking about doing some "reverse engineering" on gaiters and getting someone to stich up a pair of uber-gaiters.

Same here I'm keen to investigate the options.

Fundamentally the main problem on all the gaitors is the stitching coming apart.
I think that somehow stitching the gaitor so the thread is not exposed on the outside would be the go.
The pull cords on my current gaitors are slightly more annoying that the velco on the s2s.
The cactus gaitors have really good lace hooks.

...macpac cascade ticks the critical boxes for logevity and function (sorry, no personalised embroidery, bells extra)
http://www.macpac.com.au/shop/en_au/gea ... itors.html
(25% off this weekend)
Good design is a kind of alchemy.
www.alchemy-equipment.com
blacksheep

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TBA.
Region: New Zealand

Postby Ent » Fri 12 Feb, 2010 7:40 am

Last edited by Ent on Fri 26 Nov, 2010 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ollster » Fri 12 Feb, 2010 8:17 am

Brett wrote:As I said on this thread about custom made gaiters no commercial gaiter could be found to fit my friend :?

Cheers Brett

Must have tree stumps for legs! :)
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Fri 12 Feb, 2010 8:35 am

Last edited by Ent on Fri 26 Nov, 2010 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Buddy » Fri 12 Feb, 2010 4:06 pm

Have just ordered a pair of Outdoor Research Crocs. gaiters from Bivouac in NZ. They look the goods.....time will tell if they are tough. Will keep you posted. Current gaiters (Macpac) are very disappointing.
Buddy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ollster » Fri 12 Feb, 2010 5:04 pm

Buddy wrote:Have just ordered a pair of Outdoor Research Crocs. gaiters from Bivouac in NZ. They look the goods.....time will tell if they are tough. Will keep you posted. Current gaiters (Macpac) are very disappointing.

Don't mean to burst your bubble... but Stu Bowling has a pair of ORs and they started falling apart after (I think) 2 walks. Usual problem, stiching falling apart. Still, let us know how you go.
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby samh » Fri 12 Feb, 2010 7:16 pm

I've got a pair of SeaoSummit gaiters. a friend gave them to me because he left Tassie. So they are well used by now and I have gone trough a few straps. Then they started falling apart so I fixed them with the sewing machine, no problems since, except the straps. I have tried all sorts of straps but cannot find a good solution.
samh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Buddy » Fri 12 Feb, 2010 7:43 pm

Try using copper wire from house wiring....several strands twisted together. Works for me.
Buddy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Maelgwn » Mon 01 Aug, 2011 11:24 am

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but did this ever get anywhere? (Or was it covered on yet another gaitor thread?)

p.s. Maybe there should be a gaitor subforum?
Maelgwn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Orion » Tue 02 Aug, 2011 12:14 pm

Custom made or make your own? Gaiters have to be one of the easier items to sew yourself, if you are so inclined. I just finished making a very simple gaiter, a summer gaiter, to keep sand and stones out of low-top shoes, patterned after the "dirty girl" gaiters. It is simply a spandex/lycra tube with a bit of velcro and a lace hook. Took 20 minutes for each one. Then one disappeared into the interdimensional space that the washer/dryer seem connected to and I made another, again in about 20 minutes. A full-on winter gaiter is a bigger project but still essentially just a fitted loop with a few extra features. A chimp could sew one.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Maelgwn » Tue 02 Aug, 2011 12:25 pm

Sorry - custom made ...

I think it is harder than you make is sound ... i.e. need a heavy duty machine to sew heavy canvas/cordura and how do you dimension the bit that seals around the transition into the tube that goes up the leg?
Maelgwn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby gayet » Tue 02 Aug, 2011 12:31 pm

If you have a busted old pair, pull them apart and you have a template for the shape of the pieces required. Modify to fit better/work better, based on your knowledge of the problems with them when new. With care most standard issue home sewing machines will handle the heavier fabrics, just slowly and carefully and using heavy needles.
gayet

Region: Victoria

Next

Return to Make Your Own Gear