Desktop version
Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.
Post a reply

MYOG Backpack

Sat 28 Nov, 2009 3:20 pm

I ended up finding some fabric to make my own backpack, not siliconised nylon but PU coated. So here is my new pack for overnighters.
1128_1452_01.JPG
1128_1452_01.JPG (513.5 KiB) Viewed 11611 times
1128_1452.JPG
1128_1452.JPG (458.38 KiB) Viewed 11611 times

Weight: 490g
Capacity ~40L
The pack has no frame I just use a rolled up foam mat to stabilise the pack. I think I can carry about 15kg max with the pack, but I will find out on my next hike.

Re: MYOG Backpack

Sat 28 Nov, 2009 5:44 pm

Groovy!
You've got more patience than me, I struggle to find time to buy gear little own make it!
How much did you spend to make it?
How long did it take?
Let us know how it stands up against some of Tassie's finest vegetation. :D

Sat 28 Nov, 2009 5:46 pm

good on you Sam!

Sat 28 Nov, 2009 10:25 pm

The material was less than 50 dollars and I had some material left over maybe enough to make a drybag. Actually sewing the pack did not take that long I worked on it 3 afternoons sometime past midnight. However I started 2 weeks before with planning and designing the pack, just thinking trough the process over and over again, but when I actually did it I still ran into some difficulties. The main reason for me to do the pack by myself is purly because I wanted to try it and I needed a smaller pack for a trip to Thailand. I'm not sure how it will keep up with the Tassie vegetation it will depend on the walk. Lets say for a few days on the OLT or the Walls I think it will be fine.

Sun 29 Nov, 2009 4:13 pm

Hey, nice job sam, looks like you have some skill in sewing, nice and neat.... What is your 'brand' :wink:

Mon 30 Nov, 2009 7:16 am

Hi Sam,

Very nice work, I look forward to seeing some more MYOG gear maybe a tent or sleeping bag next.

Tony

Mon 30 Nov, 2009 7:54 am

Hi Tony
I was thinking about a tent already, but at the moment I first need to save some money :mrgreen: The other thing is that it will be hard to get material especially for the tent floor I would have to import something from the US or Europe.
I still have some material left, but I'm not sure what I will use it for. Maybe it's enough for a daypack, or some dry bags.

Mon 30 Nov, 2009 8:18 am

Very nice. I like the big stretchy top pockets. Is there a stave in the pack?

Tue 01 Dec, 2009 4:24 pm

Content removed by poster
Last edited by Ent on Wed 17 Nov, 2010 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue 01 Dec, 2009 10:39 pm

Thanks Brett but remember photos often look better than reality. Anyway I'm very happy with my new pack and can't wait to try it out. On Sunday we're off to Thailand :D and there I'll give it the first try. I planned to do the Tasman Peninsula last weekend but apparently they had 65mm of rain in a day down there. Not very nice for walking especially after driving three hours down from Launceston on the same morning.
Post a reply