Large 2.92 DCF Hybrid Roll Top Dry Bag

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

Large 2.92 DCF Hybrid Roll Top Dry Bag

Postby AlistairB » Mon 08 Jul, 2019 3:09 pm

Hi folks,

Generally I use a framless pack (Wilderness Threadworks Sonder) but every now and then I might want to carry something heavy. Framed packs are eithier really heavy or really expensive and I wanted neithier.

I picked up a Stone Glacier Krux Evo frame secondhand for a very good price. It weighs just over a kilogram so that was my starting point. I wanted it to be light, durable and waterproof so I ended up going with 2.92 DCF Hybrid. This stuff is also a pleasure to work with and sews really easily.

I followed the Ripstop by the Roll DIY video for a roll top dry bag. I just made it much larger. Almost the same size at the ZPacks Pack Liner which gives me about 44L capacity (plenty for me). I seam sealed using matching double sided DCF tape with an offcut of 2.92 on one side.

The frame had some webbing already on it however I put some buckles on the existing webbing and added some more to attach the pack nice and secure. The criss crossed webbing is also useful for storing other stuff outside (wet tarp, jacket, trekking pole etc etc).

All up my finished pack / frame combo weighs just over 1200 grams and is more than capable of hauling heavier stuff (tested with a 20kg bag of concrete to check durability).
Attachments
IMG_7307.JPG
Roll Top Dry bag
IMG_6213.JPG
Finished bag on frame
AlistairB
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Large 2.92 DCF Hybrid Roll Top Dry Bag

Postby Lamont » Thu 11 Jul, 2019 10:06 am

Well done boyo. I like it!