Fabrics for Pack Bag - Rain Cover

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

Fabrics for Pack Bag - Rain Cover

Postby Watertank » Tue 07 May, 2019 8:17 am

I’m thinking of sewing a very light weight bag that I can put my pack in when it is travelling as checked in luggage (just to gather the straps etc) and then - trying to make it multifunctional - could be used as a light weight rain cover - not sure if it will work but I will work on some designs. What fabrics would be best for this? And where should I buy it? Thanks
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Fabrics for Pack Bag - Rain Cover

Postby Lamont » Tue 07 May, 2019 8:40 pm

I have taken a farm chaff bag taped over my rucksack to NZ four times-that would work. You could sew something up. The plane hold would probably ruin any water resistance wouldn't it? Not seeing these two proposed purposes working together.
Or this below just perhaps make a modification -it packs very flat when not in use and is quite light for stowing.

Good luck getting any material in Oz.
Link to bag--https://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/90161989/
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (772.91 KiB) Viewed 14032 times
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby crollsurf » Tue 07 May, 2019 9:35 pm

You could just put a rain cover on the other way around to cover the shoulder straps and use some packing tape.

But that would take all the fun out of it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Watertank » Wed 08 May, 2019 3:59 pm

Thanks for the replies. Crollsurf - I agree taping a rain cover would take the fun out of it! Lamont - I am not sure why the plane hold would ruin water resistance - why would that be the case? Perhaps I should be aiming on making an ultralight duffel type bag that I could use and then pack into my pack?
WT
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 08 May, 2019 4:27 pm

Abrasion
I packed my rucksack in a huge cheap Op-Shop duffle [ but very heavy duty cordura analogue none the less] and wrapped an old CCF pad around my pack also.
By the time it arrived in New York the duffle was full of holes and the CCF had evidence of rough treatment, Next time I'll use a big cardboard box triple wrapped with gaffer tape or double bubble wrap inside the duffle. Airline travel is very hard on stuff
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Wed 08 May, 2019 5:08 pm

Watertank wrote:Thanks for the replies. Lamont - I am not sure why the plane hold would ruin water resistance - why would that be the case? Perhaps I should be aiming on making an ultralight duffel type bag that I could use and then pack into my pack?
WT

The constant scuffing in transit would completely ruin any outer surface DWR. Forget about a rain cover. That thing will be dragged, pushed and in constant direct contact with some very hard stationary or moving surface.
That Ikea thing packs down to a 30 X 30 cm square about 1 cm thick and can be squashed almost flat. If in doubt use two or three -one inside the other!! :D
Babooshka style!!
If you want the weight sing out.
It is tough as old boots. I retired the chaff bag and I bought three Ikeas last time my daughter went in. Parcel tape around it.
If I was hiring a car I would go with any heavy bag. Makes no difference. DIY or not.
Osprey ones cost a fortune and are no better.
This was the cheapest and best solution I came up with. I would use it to Europe no worries, let alone NZ.
If I am carrying the bag it has to be very light and small.
Cable tie your rucksack shut and stuff some nail clippers into the waist belt. Carry half a roll of light packing tape. Weighs nothing.
Works a treat.
As I said above, try buying some Cordura 500 or 1000 (1000-excellent) here which would be great for something like this! Fat chance.
US has best deals.
Then if you get some you will have one hell of a sewing job on your hands, zippers and all.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Orion » Thu 09 May, 2019 3:53 am

Those IKEA bags are made from a very durable, waterproof, reinforced fabric. I dragged one of their $4 bags up El Capitan. After scraping against the rock for 1000m it was still in fine shape. Used it for years before it finally started to fall apart.

But you don't even have to use it as a pack bag / rain cover for your pack. You can use it AS a pack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCZGsM-jku0
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Watertank » Thu 09 May, 2019 7:04 am

Looks like a visit to Ikea! The test will be limiting my shopping to just buying the bag
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lamont » Thu 09 May, 2019 5:27 pm

:D
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides