Short Gaiters - rain proof from legs

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

Short Gaiters - rain proof from legs

Postby Orbita_Serenitatem » Tue 09 Apr, 2019 10:30 pm

I was contemplating making short gaiters from the cuffs of and old 'waterproof' jacket?

The jacket has old velcro straps but looking at the picture I took on the weekend - I'd trim the arm off etc. - the material above the velcro would catch water anyway...

Something tight around your lower leg to get the water off socks - stopping rain getting into your footwear? Does anyone here make them - not Dirty Girl ones for stones etc, but for 'waterproofing' shoes / with kilt?
Attachments
IMG_2258.JPG
Sorry for the scratches in the picture...
Orbita_Serenitatem
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Short Gaiters - rain proof from legs

Postby Lamont » Wed 10 Apr, 2019 2:47 pm

Outdoor Research make ones like this already.

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/en/m ... 3690001015

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/en/m ... 0970001016 -these are especially like what you propose aren't they? I do have these ones. Water eventually runs down your legs into big hole at the top.
Haven't used them in a long time if it's above zero and raining I just let my feet get wet now.
Can take ages tho' to wet out my runners as the heat from my feet and the upper body and kilt sometimes provide a 'parasol effect'(-copyright LamontCranston2018)
But why not whip some up and try them?
Tell us how they go.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby crollsurf » Wed 10 Apr, 2019 3:00 pm

Depends on how long your kilt is I guess but I've used a kilt with S2S Quagmire eVent gaiters and boots and managed to walk the Overland Track without getting wet feet or legs.
If you get a tight fit around the boot, you can walk through a foot of water and still stay dry
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Orbita_Serenitatem » Wed 10 Apr, 2019 8:58 pm

Thanks Lamont & Crollsurf - I've yet to experience the 'Parasol effect' (LC2018), I do have a cheap 3F UL Gear Kilt, but I've not had it out in the rain - bought before summer... will test hopefully in Autumn. I do have those big OR Crocodile Gaiters, but I'm using shoes now for the hikes in Victoria and the full length gaiter kinda goes against the lightness of the shoe.

Maybe I should just buy a the OR Surge Running Gaiters... but this is a MYOG forum, right?

A rainy 25km hike in Jagungal a few years ago made my goretex boots wringing wet (I did have gaiters but didn't put them on as I was on Greymare to Round Mountain) and I was sure the boots wetted out from the top hence the need/want to have short gaiters that fit tightly above the socks.

"But why not whip some up and try them" - good call Lamont... the jacket in the photo is a British Millerain Milair that I bought in 1998. It's a rain sack now, but the idea of cutting the arms off for an experiment is a bold move... give me until the weekend... I may snip-snip by then.

Also thought an old wheel barrow rubber tube cut up might do the job...
Orbita_Serenitatem
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lamont » Wed 10 Apr, 2019 9:30 pm

Or just rely on the PE and eventually get wet feet! Once you embrace the wet foot all is well. Give the GTX the flick.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Wed 10 Apr, 2019 9:31 pm

GTX boots are great until they get wet and then you're done. Thing is if the gaiter wicks the water to the outside of the boot, you should be right so worth giving a go I think.

Dry feet is the Holy Grail for me.

I started with a 3F kilt and was so impressed I upgraded to an EE wrap because the 3F only just fitted my big boy girth.

If you can get a skirt that slightly overlaps your gaiters, or gaiters that underlap your skirt, you have a UL solution thats better than rain pants in every way

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Orbita_Serenitatem » Wed 10 Apr, 2019 9:56 pm

I tried rain pants once - bought from Anaconda Kids size 16 and put 30cm zips in the legs to get over boots etc. Used once for 10minutes. Too hot. Kilt is the next bet for me - however last September on Bogong Highplains I got good 'advice' from the weather that in certain conditions... rain pants are required as even though I had Lowe Alpine 'storm pants' on once soaked with the prevailing wet then sleet then snow... one side of both legs were pretty cold.
Orbita_Serenitatem
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Heremeahappy1 » Fri 12 Apr, 2019 3:09 pm

+1 Lamont. Embrace the wet. My walking became much more enjoyable once I took the leap to trail runners that could drain water. My MYOG gaiters are solely to prevent snow, mud and dirt ingress at the top of the runner. Oh and the odd leech from scoochin into my sock, thin smartwool merino btw.
Attachments
20190412_145924.jpg
20190412_145946.jpg
Heremeahappy1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lamont » Fri 12 Apr, 2019 6:19 pm

Heremeahappy1 wrote:+1 Lamont. Embrace the wet. My walking became much more enjoyable once I took the leap to trail runners that could drain water. My MYOG gaiters are solely to prevent snow, mud and dirt ingress at the top of the runner. Oh and the odd leech from scoochin into my sock, thin smartwool merino btw.
'Darn Tough PT' ankle sock, military grade, unkillable, my wet sock of choice.
Not a leech but a tick got through the shoe and sock and locked onto my little toe.
Hey crolly-a cheap IPA or Pale Ale is my holy grail. :lol: Embrace the wet boyo. Good to hear the kilt-(whichever one) is working out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgSmNu32I3w check out these lads. Jocks wahey.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Fri 12 Apr, 2019 8:01 pm

Wet feet, IPA and the Bay City Rollers! It's nothing to be ashamed of... just saying there is help out there if you need it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Heremeahappy1 » Tue 16 Apr, 2019 6:22 pm

Little creatures pale ale, holy grail of the pale ale without fail, can be pricey so buy when on sale.
I snuck a 6 pack of Coopers PA cans to Tali Karng from Tamboritha rd on a 36c Dec day 2018. The boys were happy soaking legs with a can.
Heremeahappy1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lamont » Tue 16 Apr, 2019 6:25 pm

crollsurf wrote:Wet feet, IPA and the Bay City Rollers!

I think I will make this my signature.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Make Your Own Gear