A Frankenstove query

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

A Frankenstove query

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 14 Aug, 2018 9:35 am

I think my search for a FireMaple FMS-702 will prove pointless so I have ordered a couple of cheap Chinese clones via eBay, hoping one will prove reasonable.
I am assembling a spare stove based on Roger Caffins original posted on BPL, and mainly because of a $10- purchase of a Snowpeak Gigapower on GearFreak yesterday.
What I am having trouble finding is a small control valve for the canister end and I am hoping somebody can point me to a reasonably well made one that won't break the bank.
I could use my G-Works transfer device as a control valve but it is a little heavy for this application and also I want to keep that secure at home, as this stove will most likely live in the car for traveling brew-ups.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: A Frankenstove query

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 15 Aug, 2018 5:30 pm

Perhaps this would not be a worthwhile project for somebody looking for a cheap remote canister stove from scratch.
The control valve is $13 delivered.
The foot and fuel hose will be $14
I don't think it would be really safe to use just the control valve on the burner head going by Roger Caffins comments about his similar project.
The FireMaple via Ali-Express in only $75- Postage and Harvey Norman tax included and the cheapest reliable top mount stove I could find was $37-
The only reason I started collecting bits was the $10- cost of the stove on GearFreak and then only because the Gigapower stove has such a good reputation for power and low CO production. Delivery is the usual slow boat from China so I don't expect to get this done until late October
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Return to Make Your Own Gear