buy fabrics

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

buy fabrics

Postby samh » Mon 27 Jul, 2009 3:13 pm

Hi all,
I'm not sure if that is the right forum category for my question, if so may the admin can move it to somewhere else. For a long time I'm have been interested in making some outdoor gear by myself. I've done a few metho stoves but haven't got beyond that. Anyway I thought I probably could start off with a fleece or merino jacket. But I have a problem it seems that it is very hard to find the right fabrics, here in Australia, especially in Tassie. In Europe and the US thats not a big problem. Does anyone know where I can buy some merino fabric, or some microfleece??

Thanks

Sam
samh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: buy fabrics

Postby alliecat » Mon 27 Jul, 2009 4:09 pm

Hi Sam,

I've seen this place (owfinc)in the US mentioned as a good source of fabrics and other bits and pieces. Another good source is seattle fabrics. And thru-hiker.com has a few things too.

Good luck.
Alliecat
alliecat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby samh » Mon 27 Jul, 2009 4:25 pm

Thanks for those links. do you know anyone who has orderd there? I was wondering thou if there are no shops in Tassie where I can order some merino fabric
samh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nuts » Mon 27 Jul, 2009 5:53 pm

Ive used thru hiker(good service), dont know if they sell merino?. I doubt you would buy the superfine merino in fabric form, especially in Tassie, have you tried on of the mills (ie NZ)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby samh » Mon 27 Jul, 2009 7:22 pm

hmm, yes I was interested in that superfine stuff. Asking at the mills is probably a good idea, I'm just not sure if they sell such small amounts, but prob. still worth a try. Anyway first thing to do now is convincing my wife, as she thinks there is no point in DIY because you can buy it cheaper anyway.

Thanks

Sam
samh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Mon 27 Jul, 2009 8:27 pm

samh wrote:hmm, yes I was interested in that superfine stuff. Asking at the mills is probably a good idea, I'm just not sure if they sell such small amounts, but prob. still worth a try. Anyway first thing to do now is convincing my wife, as she thinks there is no point in DIY because you can buy it cheaper anyway.

Thanks

Sam

Sam ,
In reality you cannot produce your clothing with hitec stuff anywhere near the commercial price so just listen to your wife and (with respect ) get real :)
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby samh » Mon 27 Jul, 2009 8:58 pm

I'm well aware that I cannot produce at that price, but it's the fun making it what counts :mrgreen:
Well I'll see how I go maybe I have to start with something else to convince her. I was first thinking about a tarp, but then that is not really ideal for Tassie conditions and so far I don't use walking poles, so I couldn't even really use
samh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby samh » Mon 26 Oct, 2009 4:27 pm

Ok I have given up on finding merino fabrics, however I'm still very keen on DIY stuff. I'm heading for a trip to Thailand soon and still need a small pack which can carry a couple of sleeping bags and two spare sets of clothes + water. So I thougth after I had done some research that It may be possible to make a little pack by myself. But my trouble again is to find suitable material. Anyone know where I can get silicon or PU coated ripstop nylon in OZ?
samh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Maelgwn » Mon 26 Oct, 2009 5:39 pm

samh wrote:Ok I have given up on finding merino fabrics, however I'm still very keen on DIY stuff. I'm heading for a trip to Thailand soon and still need a small pack which can carry a couple of sleeping bags and two spare sets of clothes + water. So I thougth after I had done some research that It may be possible to make a little pack by myself. But my trouble again is to find suitable material. Anyone know where I can get silicon or PU coated ripstop nylon in OZ?

Who cares if its not economic? Its a good fun project and hopefully you end up with exactly what you want.

I am pretty sure there are no regular suppliers of outdoor fabrics in Australia. You could try emailing remote equipment repairs but it is not their core business.

Kite shops may have silicone impregnated nylon but its not as waterproof as the stuff used in outdoor gear.

Ordering off the net is your best bet.

Also try Roger Caffin's excellent site for more info on DIY with an Aussie focus.
Maelgwn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Return to Make Your Own Gear