Sit pad

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

Sit pad

Postby [Jack]son » Mon 01 Aug, 2016 9:17 pm

Hi all,

This evening I had my first MYOG experience making a pot cozy or two and I had the idea of making a sit pad out of the remaining Reflectex and some gaffer tape. I know a lot of people carry a Therm-a-rest Z seat (60g) or segments of a Z lite (106g as four segments) as a sit pad, so this may be an alternative to them.

It's just Reflectex conveniently cut so that the existing fold of the windscreen shade folds on itself, with a border of gaffer tape. It turned out pretty well at 42g! Saving 18g on a Z seat and 64g on a cut down Z lite. Not huge, but it all adds up. Not to mention that this cost me less that $2 and took 3 minutes. I could make and wear out 15-20 of these for the cost of one Z seat.

Has anyone tried this before? I'm going to test it out on a trip this coming weekend and I'll report back re durability and utility.

I hope this was helpful, let me know if you try it out.

IMG_1351.JPG

IMG_1353.JPG

IMG_1354.JPG
[Jack]son
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Sit pad

Postby oyster_07 » Mon 01 Aug, 2016 9:46 pm

An old-school (computer) mouse mat/pad works well.
oyster_07
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby alanoutgear » Mon 01 Aug, 2016 10:59 pm

A mouse pad??? ONE??? SINGULAR??? You've got to be joking. One for each cheek more like.
alanoutgear
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby oyster_07 » Tue 02 Aug, 2016 7:15 am

alanoutgear wrote:A mouse pad??? ONE??? SINGULAR??? You've got to be joking. One for each cheek more like.

Each to their own, I suppose...
oyster_07
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Orion » Tue 02 Aug, 2016 8:13 am

I wouldn't think Reflectex (or a mousepad for that matter) would be enough of a cushion for my bony behind. Those with softer rear ends can get away with less. Mousepads (in addition to being smallish) are also kind of heavy, at least the ones I used to have. They were a sort neoprene/rubber material.

I prefer a piece of foam. On one of my packs (Gossamer Gear) the thin foam backing pad is external, in a little mesh pocket, so I can just pop it out of the pack for sitting and then reinsert it when it's time to head off again. It's big enough to lay down on, sort of, and weighs about 50g.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Return to Make Your Own Gear