DIY 'bug bivvy'

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

DIY 'bug bivvy'

Postby drakkar » Wed 27 Jul, 2016 11:34 am

so after a couple of uncomfortable nights I'd like to have a go at making my own bug bivvy out of my existing gear.

I've got one of these.....
http://www.vaude.com/en-FI/Products/Ten ... green.html

and something similar to this....

Ideally I'd like to remove most of the top of the bivvi, stitch the net down one side. and velcro on the other.
The net was a hand me down, and the bivvi cost me next to nothing, I like having a bathtub floor, and I primarily use a tarp.

However I have absolutely no idea as to the best way to go about it.. My basic plan was to cut just below the ridge on the non zip side of the ridge, double sided tape and than stitch material through and over. and do similar with some velcro tabs on the closing side. using a pole/stick/whatever to keep the net up with my tarp.

I'd like to hear from the more experienced if this will just give me something thats effectively un-usable, I'd much prefer to get TerraRosa to make me something similar, but given I'm currently un-employed, so cash is low but time is high, I figure I may as well give it a go.

If anyone has links to what materials/stitch patterns/ideas/etc I'd love to hear them.
drakkar
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: DIY 'bug bivvy'

Postby undercling-mike » Wed 27 Jul, 2016 2:33 pm

You could probably leave the zip intact if you don't mind it. I'd say see what size panels you can get out of the mesh you have first off and have a look at the quality, i.e. will it unravel badly and will it distort and stretch too much if there's a bit of tension on it. If the mesh is ok then I think your basic plan is good. If the mesh isn't great quality it could be worth looking at a couple of meters of the no-see-um mesh available at places like Tier Gear.

Sounds like you will leave the original ridgeline, this is a good plan so that the original fabric can take the tension. Just don't cut too close, leave enough fabric to hem the cut edge. So yes, cut out holes in the panels and then use the cut out pieces as templates for cutting the mesh (adding a sewing margin) then sew the mesh in the holes. If the bivy fabric doesn't fray you could skip hemming the edge of the holes and just sew the mesh on (the standard no-see-um mesh doesn't fray).
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: DIY 'bug bivvy'

Postby damoprz » Wed 27 Jul, 2016 3:11 pm

I'm going to need to make a bug net or bivy before spring as well so I am interested in how you go. Does that S2S bugnet have a silnylon floor, or is it mesh?
damoprz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Return to Make Your Own Gear