DIY Quilt

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

DIY Quilt

Postby Mj Hiker » Thu 21 Jan, 2016 10:04 pm

Just posting some pics of my latest project..... My Witchetty grub quilt is Argon inside and out (67 inside and 90 outside) with 12oz of 750 down fill. Kari step baffles with 40ml baffles. Footbox @ the bottom and snap @ top with drawstring to keep the cold out and me in. Love it so far but must say that I haven't had a winter in it yet but the hiking we have done it's been so warm I've had to vacate! The kids have just about grown out of their current sleeping bags so there will be two more coming up soon!!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Mj Hiker
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Western Australia

Re: DIY Quilt

Postby simonm » Fri 22 Jan, 2016 6:27 am

Love the name. Looks cosy.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania
Region: Tasmania

Postby undercling-mike » Fri 22 Jan, 2016 10:17 am

Nice work! I've gotta try a Karo-step design myself one day.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby neilmny » Fri 22 Jan, 2016 10:42 am

Nice job Mj Hiker. That Argon67 is great stuff as a liner...as Simon puts it (avoiding saying Simon says here :) ) on his shop page "The material has a silky feel and is baby soft."
Call us crazy but we've chucked our Doona for the summer and are using our home made synthetic quilts instead............very comfy :D
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Mj Hiker » Tue 26 Jan, 2016 12:41 am

Yep, Argon feels amazing...... So much so I really think I need to do a pillow. So no not crazy Neil.Am amazed @ how tough it is too. The kids were so excited about my quilt, it was the flavour of the month and the amount of times they were threatened with their life if they put a hole in it, and yet it's held up just fine..... Deceiving considering how light weight it is. You will have to post a pic when you do a Karo step one Mike. Wondering whether to do one of the long baffles ( head to foot) like your lime green one you posted for the kids.... Anyone have pros and cons between the Karo step design and the verti baffles??
Mj Hiker
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Western Australia

Return to Make Your Own Gear