Therolite Reactor Mod - for side sleepers

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

Therolite Reactor Mod - for side sleepers

Postby neilmny » Thu 24 Dec, 2015 10:51 am

Gram counters......move on nothing to see......... :wink:
Photographers.........sorry about the quality...... :roll:

I was going to make a special underquilt to solve the pillow height problem that I have. viewtopic.php?f=53&t=21585
The idea was to have something that captured any stuffing to raise the pillow height and stop the stuffing from falling off the end of my Synmat UL.
Call me strange but I slip my whole Synmat UL into the Thermolite Reactor........it stops plasticy noises and the plasticy feel of the mat.

After sitting down to make a start I was struck with this idea............a bag with one open end, made from Argon 67 (very light) sewn to the "hood" part of the Thermolite Reactor that can be stuffed or as I've found out have some folded clothes in it to raise my overall head height for side sleeping. The bag is roughly the width of the mat and about 300 to 350mm deep.

The open end attached to the "hood" as shown in the picture below.

Empty bag attched.jpg
Empty bag attched.jpg (101.19 KiB) Viewed 4223 times

The bag with some clothes in it....it only took my hiking pants and a polar fleece jumper to raise it about 50mm or so.

Bag filled.jpg
Bag filled.jpg (114.38 KiB) Viewed 4223 times

This shows the bag rolled once..............the Thermolite "hood" closes off the open end of the bag.

Bag rolled over once.jpg
Bag rolled over once.jpg (98.88 KiB) Viewed 4223 times

This is the bag rolled over and with my S to S pillow showing the height gained............it is very comfortable either side sleeping or on my back.

Fully rolled and set up.jpg
Fully rolled and set up.jpg (130.48 KiB) Viewed 4223 times

It's added 20 grams to my Thermolite Reactor and it still stuffs easily in to it's stuff sack.
I can still use the Reactor if I want to................ I think my nights out bush are going to get better..........no more retreiving the stuffing when it falls of th end of my sleeping mat. :D
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Therolite Reactor Mod - for side sleepers

Postby simonm » Thu 24 Dec, 2015 11:48 am

That seems to work well.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania
Region: Tasmania