Mont Moondance fly only pitch workaround

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

Mont Moondance fly only pitch workaround

Postby Drew » Tue 01 Dec, 2015 4:47 pm

I have a Mont Moondance 2. Good tent, rock solid, a little heavy (2kg). I'd like to use it without the inner in mozzie free conditions, saving around 500gm or possibly a bit more.

If you use the footprint you can do this easily. I don't have the footprint. You need the footprint in order to maintain the shape of the tent - in the absence of the inner the poles are inserted into eyelets in the corners of the footprint. This is necessary to maintain the shape of the tent. Otherwise the poles stretch out.

I could buy it but I reckon I can rig up something lighter and possibly cheaper. I'm thinking just 4 bits of 25mm webbing, cut to the length and width of the footprint and sewn into a rectangle, with eyelets in the corners (maybe it could even be done with two diagonally crossed pieces, but I suspect this wouldn't stop the poles from stretching out). Then use tyvek or whatever for a groundsheet.

Main question is, what does one use to make eyelets? Is this (http://www.bunnings.com.au/spear-jackson-7mm-eyelet-pliers-kit_p6012158) any good or is it cheap rubbish?

Not sure how much use I'll have for an eyelet thingy in future, so if I have to spend more than that I might just buy the footprint...

Other question: any mozzies on The Overland Track at Easter?
Drew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: Mont Moondance fly only pitch workaround

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 01 Dec, 2015 5:10 pm

Spotlight for one of the El-Cheapo hobby punch and die kits but most tent and awning makers will fir them for a couple of dollars each You need 12 or 20mm toothed eyelets and that Bunnings link is for the shoelace size ones
no need to use webbing if you can find 25mm bias tape such as Simon sells as it is a lot lighter and strong enough Just fold the ends where the grommets need to go to give 3 layers and stitch well

http://www.tiergear.com.au/11/online-sh ... nding-Tape

http://www.tiergear.com.au/11/online-sh ... dee-d-ring

But if you want to use a floor just stitch the tape to the corners if using silnylon as the groundsheet
how much does the factory footprint cost?
you can also use small plastic triangles
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Drew » Tue 01 Dec, 2015 5:46 pm

Thanks Moondog.

Yes, I thought those eyelets might be a bit small - hadn't measured the holes yet. That binding tape looks good. Maybe I'll ask Simon if he can put some some eyelets in for me himself.

Are you suggesting that the poles could just go into those D-rings? That could be a tidy solution.

The factory footprint is $55. Although I've been told that the current one is a different shape to the older model (my tent is the older one). Weighs 220gm or so.

I was going to use tyvek or polycryo for the groundsheet for the weight saving, so can't sew them. If I was going to use silnylon I'd just as soon buy the factory footprint (if it fits). Although maybe the weight saving on the floor material will be so minimal that it's pointless...

Plastic triangles?
Drew

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 01 Dec, 2015 7:32 pm

Those D-rings in the link work better than small plastic triangles actually
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Sandbars » Wed 02 Dec, 2015 2:20 pm

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-8-Super- ... xyRNJSfZVO

might these be useful?? Postage is a lot, but only a bit more than faffing around with figuring out how to make your own grommets?
Sandbars
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: none

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 02 Dec, 2015 3:25 pm

If using Tyvek those may be worthwhile but then the total cost approaches a factory unit
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Wed 02 Dec, 2015 4:01 pm

Perhaps you could just use some guyline tied into a rectangle with loops at each corner?
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby andrewa » Wed 02 Dec, 2015 4:08 pm

Boating shops sell grommets/eyelets - eg Whitworths. The punch for putting the grommet in is cheap, but they can be tricky to get sitting correctly - I've often found that the punch tends to "slide" off at a bit of an angle when fixing the grommet - still functions - just looks a little wonky.

Don't know the tent, but what's wrong with just 20mm webbing or grosgrain , with grommets, stretched between pole ends (WITHOUT sewing them onto a rectangle of fabric)? - across if it's a tunnel tent, and diagonal if the poles cross. If the pole corners are to get pegged out, then ensure you have a loop, or a second grommet, for pegging. Sounds a pretty easy and cheap modification.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby simonm » Wed 02 Dec, 2015 4:41 pm

Drew wrote: Maybe I'll ask Simon if he can put some some eyelets in for me himself.

Are you suggesting that the poles could just go into those D-rings? That could be a tidy solution.

The Beastee Dee's may work. I am getting in some tiny eyelets for quilts and some other projects I have in mind but I really need to get some larger one's as well. If you want me to install some eyelets into some webbing or tape I can certainly have a look at doing that.

I will also be stocking tent poles soon.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania
Region: Tasmania

Postby Drew » Wed 02 Dec, 2015 5:02 pm

Thanks people.

Don't know the tent, but what's wrong with just 20mm webbing or grosgrain , with grommets, stretched between pole ends (WITHOUT sewing them onto a rectangle of fabric)? - across if it's a tunnel tent, and diagonal if the poles cross. If the pole corners are to get pegged out, then ensure you have a loop, or a second grommet, for pegging. Sounds a pretty easy and cheap modification.

The tent is much the same design as a Hubba Hubba. I wasn't planning to have the webbing attached to the floor fabric. Just a rectangular outline of the footprint with eyelets in each corner for the poles. And yes, loops on each corner to peg the corners out. That way I can take a light weight floor material that might not be super durable and replace as needed, but keep using the webbing. I wasn't sure if two diagonally crossing pieces of webbing would keep the tent in shape. I can experiment with some nylon rope I guess.

If using Tyvek those may be worthwhile but then the total cost approaches a factory unit

I already have the tyvek. Might try some lighter polycryo too (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00002 ... ZN3UZSZQS6).

If you want me to install some eyelets into some webbing or tape I can certainly have a look at doing that.

Thanks Simon, I'll be in touch.
Drew

Postby Bogong Moth » Mon 18 Jan, 2016 3:40 pm

I've been thinking about doing something like this for my Macpac Eclipse tent (they don't make it anymore) which has a single pole. I'd be interested in knowing how people's experimentation works out!
Bogong Moth
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Western Australia

Postby Drew » Mon 18 Jan, 2016 8:50 pm

I salvaged some bits of webbing with the right sized grommets from an old tent. Now I just need to attach some thin nylon cord (guy rope stuff) and have a play around to get the right length. I'll let you know how it goes.
Drew

Postby Drew » Sun 31 Jan, 2016 8:30 pm

So I had a play around with this and it seems to work okay. I started with diagonal cords connecting the pole ends from one corner of the tent to the other but this didn't keep the poles in shape. I then tried a rectangular shape, connecting the four pole ends in the outline of the tent. This works. However I've just weighed the components and looked up the weight of the Mont footprint and discovered that I haven't saved any weight at all! The tyvek I'm using is bigger than needed and the cords have some ends that could be cut so some weight could be shaved but not a lot. I have saved around 50 bucks of course. Probably with the Mont footprint the pitching would be a lot easier too. One advantage of the homemade setup though is that the floor can stay dry if pitching in the rain...
So, overall a bit of a waste of time! Oh well, I had some fun at least.
IMG_7369.jpg
IMG_7369.jpg (99.19 KiB) Viewed 14175 times

IMG_7370.jpg
IMG_7370.jpg (112.14 KiB) Viewed 14175 times

IMG_7371.jpg
IMG_7371.jpg (102.61 KiB) Viewed 14175 times

IMG_7373.JPG
IMG_7373.JPG (107.09 KiB) Viewed 14175 times
Drew