Another down 'mummy quilt'

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

Re: Another down 'mummy quilt'

Postby clance » Fri 23 Oct, 2015 9:41 pm

Hi undercling-mike, do you have any thoughts on making quilts with a synthetic fill?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk
clance
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 24 Oct, 2015 8:12 am

Hi Clance
Evan over at TerraRosa makes synthetic quilts, normal size and as overquilts
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby whitefang » Mon 26 Oct, 2015 6:21 pm

Hi Clance, I have a synthetic quilt made by Evan at Terra Rosa Gear. Its a simple but effective design (sewn footbox and no straps to secure it around you). My initial impressions of it are great. I haven't been able to test it thoroughly yet, so I can't comment on how cold it can be taken to.
whitefang
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby undercling-mike » Tue 27 Oct, 2015 12:03 am

clance wrote:Hi undercling-mike, do you have any thoughts on making quilts with a synthetic fill?

I haven't actually made a quilt with synthetic fill yet but have been prototyping some synthetic insulated hoods so I can say that a synthetic quilt would be a lot less work to make than a down quilt. The warmth to weight ratio and compressibility of the best synthetic insulation is a bit worse than down and synthetics don't tend to have the nice 'drape' of down but they can still be used to make a great quilt. Synthetics are better if they get wet (you still really want to keep them dry though) and easier to clean. For me I've always liked the feel of a down quilt/bag, down tends to drape very nicely and feels cosy, synthetic insulation doesn't have quite as nice a feel IMO but it can still keep you warm, which is the most important thing.

A synthetic quilt would be a very manageable MYOG project for most people with access to a sewing machine and there are a number of guides online guides such as on the DIY Gear Supply website and the Tier Gear website. I'd use Climashield apex as it doesn't require quilting. You can get an idea of the temp ratings of the different weights of climashield by looking at the specs of the synthetic quilts on the Enlightened Equipment website.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby undercling-mike » Mon 02 Nov, 2015 4:52 pm

I've now posted a sales thread for these quilts in the Specials, Deals and Adverts section of the forum.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby clance » Sat 07 Nov, 2015 11:58 am

Thanks moondog, whitefang and undercling- mike for the info on synthetic quilts,
Much appreciated

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk
clance
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Previous

Return to Make Your Own Gear