Crazy underquilt idea?

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

Crazy underquilt idea?

Postby neilmny » Sun 18 Oct, 2015 2:38 pm

Seeing Simons underquilt for those that like to hang this morning, I thought why not have a 2/3 underquilt to go with my lying on mattress type quilt and incorporate a "pillow box" to stuff clothes in and give me a higher pillow (which is what I like).
Currently the placing of clothes under my S to S pillow is a juggle. During the night stuff always slips of the top of my mattress and I end up waking up with an S bend in my neck.
This "pillow box" will not only contain the goodies to help plump up the height but will also, being attached to the quilt, not let anything slip out or up off the end of the mattress.
Total weight will be between 150 and less than 200gm. Not something for the ultralighters but theoretically/potentially very comfortable.
So materials on order - Argon67 and Argon90 with Climashield Apex as the insulation pad.
Crazy idea.....time will tell.

The models are just conceptual 3D as the software I use is for 3D metal engineering not fabric.
(This is what it would look like in sheetmetal :lol: ....could be a tad heavy though.)

Underquilt concept_2.jpg
Underquilt concept_2.jpg (45.5 KiB) Viewed 9884 times

Underquilt concept_1.jpg
Underquilt concept_1.jpg (36.7 KiB) Viewed 9884 times
Last edited by neilmny on Mon 19 Oct, 2015 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Crazy underquilt idea?

Postby simonm » Sun 18 Oct, 2015 7:02 pm

So you will be placing this under your sleeping mat?
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania
Region: Tasmania

Postby neilmny » Mon 19 Oct, 2015 5:10 am

No on the mat but under me Simon.
I don't like sleeping on the plasticy surface of my mat so the initial idea was a sort of light and compact bottom sheet with the pillow box and it went from there.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby simonm » Mon 19 Oct, 2015 5:46 am

That makes more sense. I will be interested to see how it turns out.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania
Region: Tasmania

Postby Gadgetgeek » Mon 19 Oct, 2015 8:47 am

climashield is really compressible, am I understanding right that the insulation will be directly under you? this would limit its insulation value quite a bit. but maybe I'm misunderstanding.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby undercling-mike » Mon 19 Oct, 2015 10:27 am

A pad sheet with pillow box is a good idea but if you are lying on any insulation it will be compressed and much less effective. Still, laying on a layer of insulation might be quite comfortable and it could be worth a try.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby neilmny » Mon 19 Oct, 2015 4:23 pm

Gadgetgeek wrote:climashield is really compressible, am I understanding right that the insulation will be directly under you? this would limit its insulation value quite a bit. but maybe I'm misunderstanding.

undercling-mike wrote:A pad sheet with pillow box is a good idea but if you are lying on any insulation it will be compressed and much less effective. Still, laying on a layer of insulation might be quite comfortable and it could be worth a try.

Yes it will be under me and compressed but this is not an issue as my mat is rated R6.0.
It's really just there because I wanted it to be there...................The heading does say Crazy underquilt idea.
A bit more background is ...as I mentioned I'm not a fan of lying on plastic (Synmat UL9 LW) so I've always slipped the whole mat into a S to S reactor (weighs 260gm) to have a nice surface to lay on
and it is very good I must say. This is more to save my reactor for it's intended purpose and also reduce the sleeping kit weight a bit on a 3 season quilt type trip.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Gadgetgeek » Mon 19 Oct, 2015 4:34 pm

Makes sense when you put it that way. one other factor is that the climasheild would give more space for vapor to dissipate, which will aid in comfort.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby neilmny » Mon 19 Oct, 2015 4:55 pm

Gadgetgeek wrote:Makes sense when you put it that way. one other factor is that the climasheild would give more space for vapor to dissipate, which will aid in comfort.

I was actually thinking that would be the case based on how the quilt which has the same shell (Argon 67) and the thicker Climashield as insulation behaves if I lay on it on the Synmat.
My thinking was the Argon 67, without the insulation, could lack breathability with the Synmat in direct contact with it.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby neilmny » Thu 24 Dec, 2015 10:28 am

Abandoned ship.........came up with a much simpler idea utilising my Thermolite Reactor.
Link --- TBA
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Make Your Own Gear