MYO down booties

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

MYO down booties

Postby andrewa » Wed 20 Jun, 2012 8:28 pm

I'm looking to make the "ultimate" down booties, for ski touring, and would appreciate any input.

To date I have been using some 1980's Alpsports ? Quallafill booties. ? They have been fine, except that they only go to your ankles, so that when you walk in deeper snow, you get snow inside them. I'd like a bootie that comes up to your knee, like a gaitor, but is also work.

As I see it, my options are to either make an "overboot" for the current booties, or come up with a new design.

Was thinking of using cordura for base, and about 2 cm of rand, with a removable/replaceable closed cell foam sole, and a top made from silinylon. Planning on making a baffled design, with 3 horizontal baffles, to knee height , filling with down. Thinking about using silinylon both inside and out, as would like to keep down dry, and not sure that feet would sweat that much at night to make down damp.

?any additional thoughts?

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Re: MYO down booties

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 21 Jun, 2012 9:02 am

Why are you walking in deep snow wearing tent/hut booties?
I too am still wearing my Alpsports booties and see no need for anything that warm to be much taller.
if you really need the extra insulation for the calves then go for it but use unproofed nylon, if the down got wet via the stitch lines it will rot before it dries out using a waterproof shell.
A compromise would be simply to EXTEND the existing bootie with a tall down cuff or buy a set of NEOS overboots
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby andrewa » Thu 21 Jun, 2012 10:39 am

I don't make a habit of walking in deep snow in booties, however, if having a pee, I do try to walk away from the tent a bit....!

The additional insulation up my legs was really just to bolster my warmth as I get older. I'm also tending these days to use a lighter sleeping bag, and sleep in all my insulated clothing.

Not heard of Neos booties - will look
A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 21 Jun, 2012 10:46 am

http://www.overshoe.com/Pages/default.aspx

Brilliant things but not cheap, work on a number of levels tho, I tried hard to get my beloved to buy while we were in the States but she resisted, truth is very few Americans ever need stuff like this, they walk from a hot house to a heated car and are exposed to the weather for 30 or 40 seconds at the most.
Canadians and Alaskans seem to spend a little more time outside tho.
Yankees need slush protection more than warmth so the waterproof short booties seem to be the biggest seller, the ones with the anti-slip sole.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Make Your Own Gear