tours

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

tours

Postby brissifirey » Mon 04 Aug, 2008 8:00 pm

Hi,

If this is the wrong forum section to post this topic then I am sorry,

A few friends are coming over to Tassi from the UK in mid November and would like to do the overland walk, As they are quite new to bush walking and I cannot get time off to take them they would like to use a paid tour operator, has anyone used any of these paid tour operators and as such recommend a tour company. If mentioning actally tour operators names is against forum rules (not sure)could you please pm me the details.

Cheers.
brissifirey
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: tours

Postby whiskeylover » Mon 04 Aug, 2008 9:00 pm

Hi Brissifirey,
There are a couple of tour companies - pricing depends on how much they offer - the huts people are obviously the most expensive. But if you're into only carrying your personal gear and having hot showers and fine Tassie food and wine at the end of each day, then I have heard they are definitely the way to go. My elderly but fit parents, in their mid seventies went with them last year and found it much easier than trying to carry tents, stove, food and sleeping gear. I think you may even be able to hire quite a bit of gear from them like pack, coat, etc. You still get to see the main attractions and in comfort although there are obviously also issues with some groups if you're not keen on some of the other guests! The groups are usually small so should be ok, and some tour operaters will do side trips depending on the group and fitness, availability of experienced guide etc. The tour groups that don't use the huts, use tents and gear etc that they have stashed or that other helpers bring in on side entry tracks to the OLT, but I suppose you do need to carry a little more gear with them but they are probably more flexible - I'd ring around and you'll find what suits your fitness, experience, flexibility and comfort needs.
medicinal purposes only of course
whiskeylover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby norts » Tue 05 Aug, 2008 8:26 am

Cradle Huts
Tas Ex

They are two that I am aware of. A google will soon find info. I don't know anything about them other than they do trips through the OLT

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Tue 05 Aug, 2008 8:11 pm

I think there may be a newish one, widernessexpeditions or something like that I believe it is a locally owned outfit and worth a look.
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby Chris » Wed 06 Aug, 2008 11:30 pm

The group which has been offering this service for the longest time is Craclair Tours, which was founded by now-retired Eric Sargent. They certainly used to do a great job, so think they would be worth a look.
Chris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 12 Aug, 2008 7:30 pm

CraClair certainly used to be excellent. They have recently been taken over by TasEx, I believe, but they are still using the old name, I think?

I'm trying to remember who told me this... Can anyone confirm this?
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby corvus » Mon 18 Aug, 2008 7:15 pm

Yes I can confirm that Eric has sold the Craclair Tours to a much larger concern (Tas Expeditions )I believe that the new locally owned and operated Devonport based tour company is as close as you will get to Craclair and I know that the owner did some time /walks with Eric ,I have eventually found their web site check out info@wildernessexpeditions.net.au or http://wildernessexpeditions.net.au/cgi ... wildexpS+1
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Return to Bushwalking Discussion