The best moutain view?

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

The best moutain view?

Postby NickD » Tue 08 Jul, 2008 7:00 pm

Ok. So its a token and possibly already done topic but I'm new.

What mountain do you think has the best view in Tassie? Its hard to seperate - I know - and I suppose answers will differ depending on your individual trip and opinion. But its interesting to see what different people believe.

My favourites;
Mt Proycon - West Arthurs in general really. But this one really grabbed me. Square Lake is amazing - more so I believe than Oberon.
Mt Olympus - We had the hottest/clearest day when we summited this beauty! Views everywhere. South West & Lake St Claire national parks unfolded infront of us.
Mt Pillinger - Extremely underrated grandstand viewing point. Awesome view of the mammoth peaks that surround eg. Ossa, Oakleigh, Thetis & Field West.
Mt Lot - Couldnt see much from Mt Anne summit because of cloud, it cleared up later that day and we could see all from Mt Lot. Its my favourite mountain so far overall, loved the views down to Lonely Tarns. Awesome view of Mt Anne's massive walls.
Mt Eros - Chose it over Mt Hyperion as the Hyperion is a more appealing mountain to look at over Eros. Great photo opportunity to capture the Geyron's. Walled Mtn looks its most pleasing from this point, good view of Eldons & other remote peaks.

Let the opinons roll....
NickD
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: The best moutain view?

Postby gorby » Tue 08 Jul, 2008 7:20 pm

my vote goes for Mt pillinger,although I have a limited amount of peaks under my belt.

another good look is from western bluff at the end of the western tiers.
gorby
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby alex » Tue 08 Jul, 2008 7:26 pm

Hmm, interesting topic.
For me it would have to be federation peak, by far. The day i was there there was not a cloud in the sky, simply amazing.
To the north there is the entire Arthur Range, Mt Anne, then all the coastal mountains through to Bathurst Harbour. A bit closer is the stomach churning ~600m drop to the northern lakes down blade ridge, and you can see your entire route leading across the Eastern Arthurs quite clearly. looking down at your tiny tent at hanging lake or bechervaise is also nice, and gives you a sense of perspective.
Interested to hear other peoples views, other good ones for me were Mt Anne, Pelion east, Walled Mt among others
alex
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby corvus » Tue 08 Jul, 2008 7:39 pm

IMHO all of the many peaks I have climbed offer fantastic views on any given day.
Last edited by corvus on Wed 09 Jul, 2008 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby eggs » Tue 08 Jul, 2008 11:53 pm

This is a really tough question - especially as weather and season can greatly vary the experience. As well as being on top at sunset or sunrise.
I have limited peak bagger points (44), but I hope to get back to Tassie early next year to pick up some more.
Each one has a different beauty and charm and many times the views looking up to a mountain or from its side can be particularly appealing and maybe even better than the top?
I remember the surprise of reaching the top of Mt Geikie in the West Coast Range and having the wonderful vista of lakes opening up before me to the East and North. Or the grand views from Schnells Ridge looking over its dramatically carved lakes towards cliff surrounded Lake Judd.
Or the tremendous expanse of the numerous lakes of the central plateau on one side of Mt Jerusalem with the charm of the Walls close in on the other side.
Mt Amos has the coastal drama of Wineglass Bay and the rugged peninsula behind.
Mt Rogoona had the march of all the peaks along the Overland Track together with the grand views over Lake Myrtle close at hand rising to the basin of Chalice Lake below Cathedral.
But then - I am not sure if you can count it as a peak - but probably the most terrifying place was on Cape Huay were the steep slope rises to a dramatic cliff looking over the Candlestick and the Totem Pole. The foaming sea surging around these stacks far below seems to be trying to suck you over the edge.
Now - how to rate Cradle Mountain or Mt Ossa's views?
Ahh - I need to get out more..
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby johnw » Wed 09 Jul, 2008 9:26 am

I won't bother adding up my miserable peak bagging score :roll: . All Tassie mountains I've visited have fantastic views in clear weather. And I agree that you don't have to reach the top to appreciate them. The classic view of Cradle Mountain from the shore of Dove Lake never fails to inspire. Anyway, here's my very rough order of spectacular views from those I've climbed, although none would disappoint :D :

1. Mt Ossa
2. Barn Bluff
3. Cradle Mtn
4. Hartz Peak
5. Mt Roland
6. Mt Field East
7. Legges Tor
8. Quamby Bluff
9. Collins Bonnet
10. Mt Wellington (walked up from Ferntree, not driven there)

Other high places with sweeping vistas:
Walls of Jerusalem (anywhere between Solomons Jewels and Dixons Kingdom)
Labyrinth Lookout
Top of Higgs Track (Lady Lake/Hut)
Cape Hauy
Tarn Shelf
Paddys Lake
Wineglass Bay Lookout
Last edited by johnw on Thu 10 Jul, 2008 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby tasadam » Wed 09 Jul, 2008 11:00 am

Yes Pillinger is great - you look over the whole reserve.

Then there's Frenchmans -
http://www.southcom.com.au/~adamh/photos/Whatsitallabout1.jpg
http://www.southcom.com.au/~adamh/photos/Whatsitallabout2.jpg
http://www.southcom.com.au/~adamh/photos/Whatsitallabout3.jpg
http://www.southcom.com.au/~adamh/photos/TrackOverRidge.jpg

But "best"? That's tough.
The Dombrovskis photo of Federation that is a big poster, that always sticks in my mind. Hopefully I will get there one day.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby sthughes » Wed 09 Jul, 2008 11:01 am

I think it depends a lot on what you like to see as well. I mean I think the view from Barn Bluff etc. are great, but it is a whole lot of much the same highland scenery if you know what I mean. On that note (and with my very limited peak bag):

Mt. Strezlecki - for dozens of islands, Bass strait and the Tasmanian mainland on a good day, also only a short walk up.
Mt. Roland - great views from sea to famland and peaks to the south. Close to home and an easy walk to boot.
Mt. Wellington - because it's got everything from highlands to the sea to the Hobart CBD. And you can drive!
Mt. Rugby - haven't actually done it because of bad weather & time but the hill on the opposite side of the water has a great view and isn't even half as high.
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Robbo » Wed 09 Jul, 2008 11:49 am

Two immediately come to my mind; Mt Anne on a cloudless day looking out over the Arthurs and Lake Pedder, and Mt Hesperus looking over lakes Pluto, Neptune and Triton.

Of course there mountain tops - Mt Jerusalem, The Temple, Solomons Throne and King Davids Lookout, in the Walls offer magnificent views as well...

Tony Robinson
"The place between your comfort zone and your dream is where your life takes place." Nick Vujicic.
Robbo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Gilson College
Region: Victoria

Postby tastrax » Wed 09 Jul, 2008 5:50 pm

For me its probably Precipitous Bluff overlooking New River Lagoon and the south coast
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby Nick S » Wed 09 Jul, 2008 6:53 pm

Hmm, yeah tough question, its actually not that simple..
Yeah, if it's a sunny day and it's a spectacular view with mountains and lakes all around, then of course that will influence your opinion, but I think many people who have posted here would agree that it is the journey of getting to that peak that is a big factor. The achievement of climbing up a rarely climbed peak would give you a unique view that you have probably not seen in photos etc. And you attach that sense of achievement with the quality of the view to a degree.

For example I thought the view from Cathedral Mt overlooking the OT was incredible, not only because of the great views of Ossa/Pelion/Massif but because it was off the track somewhat, and we camped the night next to the cliffs with an awesome sunset. Actually its where my avatar is taken from if you can make it out.

In saying that, my best views would be from Mt Anne; because it is a challenge and you are surrounded by mountains and lake pedder looks incredible at a sunset. But also I was recently up East Pelion in heavy snow, and that would definitely be up there as one of my best views. I posted some pics in the gallery of the view from pelion east, tell me you don't agree :D
Nick S
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby wello » Wed 09 Jul, 2008 8:04 pm

A lot of good suggestions here, and I'll add a few more.

Little Hugel gives a great persepective of Mt Olympus and Mt Byron across the Cuvier valley. Mt Ida even manages to appear in a low point on the ridge.

New harbour range - white sand of cox's Bight to the Ironbound Range in the distance.

Soloman's Throne (one peak of West Wall) - great views along the cliffs and to the grassy valleys and pencil pines below.

Wello
wello
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MJD » Wed 09 Jul, 2008 8:16 pm

As many have said, this is a tough question given all the great views from so many peaks. One view that impressed me recently was from the summit of The Guardians. Have a look on a map and imagine the vista. It really is an underated peak.
Carpe diem
MJD
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby tas-man » Thu 10 Jul, 2008 10:36 am

wello wrote:<Snip> New harbour range - white sand of Cox's Bight to the Ironbound Range in the distance. <Snip>

I will second that as being the freshest in my mind, "WOW" view, from recent trips, (download/file.php?id=205&mode=view) however my all time most impressive mountain view would have to be the sudden panorama, arriving exhausted at the Barron Pass, of the string of lakes Millicent, Magdeline, Cecily and Gertrude, along the Livingstone Rivulet valley, on the way up to Frenchmans Cap, seen on a crystal clear, blue sky day.
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby tasadam » Thu 10 Jul, 2008 10:50 am

tas-man wrote:
wello wrote:<Snip>the sudden panorama, arriving exhausted at the Barron Pass, of the string of lakes Millicent, Magdeline, Cecily and Gertrude, along the Livingstone Rivulet valley, on the way up to Frenchmans Cap, seen on a crystal clear, blue sky day.

Not quite the clear blue day, but you get the idea...

http://www.tasadam.com/forumstuff/southcom-adamh/photos/0204A.JPG
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby norts » Thu 10 Jul, 2008 3:50 pm

Yeah Ian, Barron Pass. I remember just like you described it. I was completely knackered, hadn't done any training and my packed weighed a ton (before I started getting the base weight down). Got to the top looked out at Frenchmans and realised I did want to keep bushwalking, I had been contemplating giving up as I slogged up to the pass.
I now train and enjoy my walking so much more. It was that view that kept me walking and getting serious about it.

My vote Barron Pass looking to Frenchmans

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tasadam » Thu 10 Jul, 2008 4:27 pm

norts wrote:Yeah Ian, Barron Pass.

My vote Barron Pass looking to Frenchmans
Roger

More like these?

http://www.tasadam.com/forumstuff/southcom-adamh/photos/0194A.JPG
http://www.tasadam.com/forumstuff/southcom-adamh/photos/0195A.JPG
http://www.tasadam.com/forumstuff/southcom-adamh/photos/0198A.JPG

One day I'll get perfect blue skies.
But then, if I do, maybe I won't want to go back? Perhaps it's better this way, with a mood...
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby dee_legg » Thu 10 Jul, 2008 5:56 pm

- Looking north from Little Hugel on a perfect winters morning with blue skies and the northern peaks coming through the cloud.
I have others but they don't classify as mountain views.
Oh well.
dee_legg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tasadam » Thu 10 Jul, 2008 7:37 pm

dee_legg wrote:- Looking north from Little Hugel on a perfect winters morning with blue skies and the northern peaks coming through the cloud.

I can see that would be good...
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby kantonysen » Thu 10 Jul, 2008 8:15 pm

My favourite areas are the Western and Eastern Arthurs, but cannot think of any high area that isn't great to be at. In my opinion some of the best views are often found on the way up a Peak rather than at the summit.
kantonysen
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby DaveNoble » Fri 11 Jul, 2008 11:38 am

I like to camp up high - and if possible camp on or close to the summit. Some of my favourites are -

Mt Sirius (Western Arthurs) - best views in the range, camping available in small saddle nearby. High Moor and Mt Columba also is very good
Mt Ossa - a great place to camp (in fine weather!)
Mt Massif in the Du Cane Range
The Geryon - north peak - great views - have not camped on this one
The Acropolis - also great vews, camping on the plateau below is nice and sheltered
Cathedral Mtn - Great views of Ossa and Du Cane Range
Tops of Mts of Jupiter - great views and campsites
Mt Hopetoun - great views of Federation Peak (although the views also seem good from Mt Bobs and the summit of the Whiz Range (aka Craycroft Hills, Tam O'Shanter,Crest Range) are also good - but i have not been to the summits of them) I think the view of Federation is better than the view from Federation.

Some not so good summit views (but nice peaks to climb) -

Cradle - most other peaks are too far away, but good views on the way up of Cradle itself
Barn Bluff - same as Cradle
Mt Anne - views now dominated by the Pedder Impoundment :-( - same for the views from Frankland Range Peaks

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby kantonysen » Sat 12 Jul, 2008 1:55 pm

" Mt Anne - views now dominated by the Pedder Impoundment - same for the views from Frankland Range Peaks"

The views on the way up Mt Anne are fabulous looking over Mt Lot and Lots Wife; but it is sad to overlook the new impoundment from the summit.
kantonysen
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby NickD » Sat 12 Jul, 2008 8:06 pm

I agree about Mt Anne, its spectacular but the Pedder is a bit dissapointing. Its the same thing with Mt Field West with the logging directly below.
That's why I like Mt Lot better, good view of Anne, Lots Wife and the lightning ridge
NickD
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mickeymoo » Sun 13 Jul, 2008 6:14 pm

Great topic but very hard to single out one in particular! but I'll add another to the list that hasn't been mentioned yet, Pindars Peak, magic views of the south coast, PB, New River Lagoon, and the rest of the southern ranges.
Mickeymoo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby scrub master » Mon 14 Jul, 2008 3:58 pm

Too difficult to single out one peak but some of my favourites are Perrins Bluff and Walled Mt or almost any of the peaks in the cental reserve. I also think Pelion east is a very under-rated peak with most people overlooking it in favour of it's bigger neighbour. One peak I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned yet is Hartz Pk. For so little effort, wher else can you get such a magnificent panorama of the whole of the sout west ?
scrub master
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby johnw » Wed 16 Jul, 2008 9:00 am

scrub master wrote:One peak I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned yet is Hartz Pk. For so little effort, wher else can you get such a magnificent panorama of the whole of the sout west ?

...actually I did mention it :wink:. I ranked it number 4 of those I've visited. However, given other post/s suggesting that Cradle and Barn Bluff (views) may be somewhat overrated due to lack of nearby peaks, I'm a little inclined to agree. So I'd be happy to promote Hartz Peak to number 2 on my list. The day we climbed it was near perfect and you could see forever (well, until the cloud rolled in and prevented us from getting across to Mt Snowy :( ).
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby wombatlover » Sun 20 Jul, 2008 6:08 pm

well i havent done too much of the highlands so i cant comment there and im sure Mt Roland is a beautiful view judging by the little i saw of it when i climbed it (covered in fog!!) and to annoy me even more the next day i climbed the Gnomon and Mt dial and could see Roland clear as a bell with no cloud around it!!! The view from Mt Montgomery on a clear day is also worth a look, you can see right up the coast past burnie and then up past devonport and watch the spirit come in. Ben Lomond has a nice view and so does Mt Stronach in the East. Sometimes its nice to remember the hills that arent so big or popular! Even little Archers knob gives a nice coastal view!
wombatlover
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Speculator » Wed 23 Jul, 2008 1:24 pm

It's really hard to come up with just one mountain view, they've all been good for one reason or another. Probably the one that stands out recently is Point Vision. My what a spectacular vista that was! ;)

Seriously though, I think we need to list some mountains closer to civilisation! Everyone seems to be concentrating on the remote and isolated stuff, which is more than justified, but there's also something nice about sitting atop a peak and looking down on the urban/rural sprawl of poor plebs going about their daily lives, most of whom don't know exactly how great it is where you are right now!

L8r.
---
Peak bagging points: 10. Peak bagging bagging points: 10000.
Speculator
Optimus Imago
Optimus Imago

Return to Bushwalking Discussion