Water report

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Water report

Postby corvus » Thu 06 Mar, 2008 7:23 pm

In view of the feedback I have been getting for the NW ,Cradle and Central Plateau can we have a Statewide water report as to the state of water flow in your normal walking replenishment areas,mate has just gone to Cape Pillar and I suspect even Luncheon Creek may be low.
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Re: Water report

Postby Joe » Thu 06 Mar, 2008 8:17 pm

Another user posted this link a while ago which I have found really handy. Thanks to whoever that user was BTW :D

http://www.hydro.com.au/home/Tourism+an ... Levels.htm
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 07 Mar, 2008 7:30 am

On my last walk on the central plateau a few weeks ago, I found it to be the driest I've ever seen (in my few short years). There were a lot of areas where what would normally be pools, are now just depressions in the ground. Some of them have been dry for so long that they are nice little lawns in the bottom of them, with very healthy grass. Likewise, some of the lakes that are lower than normal have nice new lawns around the egde of them in some places (Lake Little Johnny was one of these, I think?).

Thankfully, in this area, there is still plenty of water... just a little less than usual. Lake McKenzie (hydro) was still low enough that you could have walked across the ridge in the middle from one side to the other (although I believe there's a narrow channel across this where you'd have to swim or wade for a few metres).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby frank_in_oz » Mon 10 Mar, 2008 6:46 am

My wife is heading off to do the Overland Track, in a party of one, in a couple of weeks. Does anyone know the state of water supply at Windy Ridge Hut? We know they are working on it at the moment, but she is not sure whether water is still being collected in the tanks? (Know there is a creek just down from the hut that is reasonably reliable)
Thanks in advance
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tasadam » Mon 10 Mar, 2008 5:48 pm

frank_in_oz wrote:My wife is heading off to do the Overland Track, in a party of one, in a couple of weeks. Does anyone know the state of water supply at Windy Ridge Hut? We know they are working on it at the moment, but she is not sure whether water is still being collected in the tanks? (Know there is a creek just down from the hut that is reasonably reliable)
Thanks in advance

Best way to find this out if no-one here responds, is to give the Ranger at Lake St Clair a quick call.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby kramster » Tue 11 Mar, 2008 12:15 pm

frank_in_oz wrote:My wife is heading off to do the Overland Track, in a party of one, in a couple of weeks. Does anyone know the state of water supply at Windy Ridge Hut? We know they are working on it at the moment, but she is not sure whether water is still being collected in the tanks? (Know there is a creek just down from the hut that is reasonably reliable)
Thanks in advance

It has been about 10 years since I was up that way (so correct me if I am wrong), if you go down hill past the heli-pads, over the hill where the Yuppie Hut (Cradle-Huts) stands, you should find one of the main tributories of Narcissus River (could be a little scrubby to get to it, but it is water, nonetheless).
kramster
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tas-man » Wed 09 Apr, 2008 8:39 am

Absolutely no problems with water along the south coast track over Easter and week after - walked in it for 5 days so hydrated by the absorption method. :P Our camp on top of the New Harbour Range was next to a good soak that provided water, but we carried 3 litres up each just in case for dinner and breakfast.
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Bushwalking Discussion