Domestic Evacuation Insurance

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Domestic Evacuation Insurance

Postby Happy Pirate » Fri 28 Jul, 2023 11:58 am

Has anyone ever taken out Evac insurance to cover the cost of helicopter rescue?
I'm hoping to do the AAWT and don't have medical insurance but most travel insurance seems to cover a lot of needless extras like lost luggage and trip cancellation.
I'm currently based in Tas so Vic Ambulance insurance may be complicated?
Any other providers that anyone knows about?
With a Glass Eye & 3 Wooden Legs:
http://www.glasseyephoto.com.au
Happy Pirate
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Re: Domestic Evacuation Insurance

Postby north-north-west » Fri 28 Jul, 2023 1:32 pm

I don't know if it still applies, but when I was living in Victoria, membership of the ambulance service was cheap and covered helicopter evac. Check their page and see what the costs and services are now. As you say, there may be complications due to residence but you could always try to borrow someone else's address. I'm sure there would be forum members who'd help out.

We had one diver way back when who had an undignosed patent foramen ovale and ended up with a cerebral embolism. Luckily there were people around at the time who knew what to do and he was fine after being airlifted to the Albert Hospital, except for the bill (not a member). Two or three months after recommencing diving it happened again, and that was when the PFO was found. Coincidentally, that was when he (and a lot of other Portsea divers) joined the ambulance service, because $600 in 90s money per ride with the portable chamber is not cheap.
Last edited by north-north-west on Sat 29 Jul, 2023 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Eremophila » Fri 28 Jul, 2023 1:58 pm

https://myrigadventures.com/ambulance-c ... australia/

https://www.health.tas.gov.au/hospitals ... ther-state

Maybe best to contact Ambulance Tasmania and chat to them. It appears you are covered by the Tasmanian Govt in Victoria and NSW.
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby Happy Pirate » Fri 28 Jul, 2023 3:07 pm

Eremophila wrote:https://myrigadventures.com/ambulance-cover-travelling-australia/

https://www.health.tas.gov.au/hospitals ... ther-state

Maybe best to contact Ambulance Tasmania and chat to them. It appears you are covered by the Tasmanian Govt in Victoria and NSW.

north-north-west wrote:I don't know if it still applies, but when I was living in Victoria, membership of the ambulance service was cheap and covered helicopter evac. Check their page and see what the costs and services are now. As you say, there may be complications due to residence but you could always try to borrow someone else's address. I'm sure there would be forum members who'd help out.

Thanks, good information. It may be complicated by me not strictly being a resident of Tassie at that point, as I may transition back to Vic afterwards. But getting Vic ambulance cover ought to cover all bases.
With a Glass Eye & 3 Wooden Legs:
http://www.glasseyephoto.com.au
Happy Pirate
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby bernieq » Fri 28 Jul, 2023 9:39 pm

In the event of an injury requiring Search & Rescue (SAR) evac, there is no charge to the injured person. However, if the helicopter transferred the injured person to a waiting ambulance (for example), there most likely would be a cost unless they had ambulance insurance.

That said, ambulance insurance is something everyone should have. Note, though, that you need to be resident in Victoria (as you do for Tassie).

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 28 Jul, 2023 11:51 pm

Don't the various ambulance associations in each state have reciprocal arrangements?
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby keithj » Sat 29 Jul, 2023 7:29 am

Our family has Bupa ambo cover - https://www.bupa.com.au/health-insuranc ... ance-cover
It 'Includes some air services and treatment by Bupa recognised providers' - costs us $43pa - I think I pay quarterly - so for ~$15 you should be covered for AAWT or any state.
keithj
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby IDP » Sat 29 Jul, 2023 9:10 am

My understanding is that Queensland residents are covered Australia-wide https://www.qld.gov.au/emergency/emerge ... -treatment

But this arrangement seems to be different for other states
IDP
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby crollsurf » Sat 29 Jul, 2023 1:45 pm

From first-hand experience in NSW, Ambulance NSW will send you a bill for helicopter rescue. But it's covered by ambulance insurance.

Just about every health insurance covers ambulance, even the junk insurance a lot of workers have to avoid the Medicare levy.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DaveTas » Sat 29 Jul, 2023 2:11 pm

Crollsurf - was the bill you received for medical care provided by paramedics during the evac/flight, or for the actual use of the helicopter?
Was it the Westpac chopper?
DaveTas
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby crollsurf » Sat 29 Jul, 2023 5:26 pm

DaveTas wrote:Crollsurf - was the bill you received for medical care provided by paramedics during the evac/flight, or for the actual use of the helicopter?
Was it the Westpac chopper?
I was rescued by Toll Ambulance ACT. The bill was from Ambulance NSW. It wasn't itemised, but it was for many thousands of dollars. I can't remember the figure now, but somewhere between $3-5000. Just filled out a form with my insurance details, and that's the last I heard of it.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DaveTas » Sat 29 Jul, 2023 5:41 pm

I dare say that would have been the charge for the medical treatment, not the rotary wing evac. You’d expect a much higher bill for the chopper.
DaveTas
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Bushwalking Discussion