Pyjamas instead of Sleeping Bag Liner?

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Pyjamas instead of Sleeping Bag Liner?

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 10 Jan, 2008 10:01 am

I have a bit of a problem with sleeping bags and with sleeping bag liners, and was wondering if maybe I should just take pyjamas instead.

Of course the problems with bushwalking sleeping bags is that the synthetic fabric makes me sweat, the sweat soaks straight into the sleeping bag, and the sleeping bags are a pain to clean (I've done it a few times, but it's a major job).

Many people use a sleeping bag liner to avoid these problems (usually silk because it is light-weight and compresses well). I made myself one out of an old cotton sheet, many years ago. It worked well (although didn't compress as well as silk would have). However, I'm a restless sleeper, and found that the liner was too restrictive, and also got all twisted up, becoming quite uncomfortable. I had to revert to going without, and now I usually wear a flannelette shirt instead, which helps a bit.

I was thinking that maybe I could try full silk pyjamas (buy a silk liner, and ask my wife - who's very handy with sewing - to whip up some silk PJs). I would think they'd end up even smaller and lighter than a liner, and for somebody like me, they'd probably be a lot more comfortable. (Plus, I'd be the best dressed bushwalker at nights! ;) ).

Does anyone ever take pyjamas bushwalking?

What do other people usually wear when sleeping in their sleeping bag? Nothing? Underwear? Shirt/Trousers? PJs? Silk Liner? PJs? Combination of these? Other?
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Re: Pyjamas instead of Sleeping Bag Liner?

Postby TassieMargie » Thu 10 Jan, 2008 11:29 am

It depends on the weather. If it is warm maybe just a t shirt and undies. If it is cold a pair of trackies and jumper.
TassieMargie
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby corvus » Thu 10 Jan, 2008 11:39 am

G'day Nik
I use a silk liner and in summer a cotton nightshirt -winter its thermals
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby norts » Thu 10 Jan, 2008 12:16 pm

I use to use a cotton liner but now use silk.
I went to Spotlight and bought the silk and got "she who controls the sewing machine" to shape it to shape of my sleeping bag. It is longer than an ordinary liner.
I find the silk does not tangle as badly as a cotton liner and dries more quickly if you spill your coffee on it when having a cuppa in bed.

I have read somewhere of a bloke who made his own silk pjs. More like a pair of overalls with feet and a hood.

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 10 Jan, 2008 12:25 pm

norts wrote:I have read somewhere of a bloke who made his own silk pjs. More like a pair of overalls with feet and a hood.

Sounds like the kind of PJs Graeme Garden would wear. Seems like a good plan to me!
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Jaxter » Thu 10 Jan, 2008 3:20 pm

Over Christmas on the SCT my partner brought along a cotton liner he'd made from a cutup doona cover - its only sown together on one side and bottom. I scoffed at the extra weight (400g) and took no liner. Smug partner was comfortable on the hot nights lying between his sheets with his sleeping bag wide open (although he did have to adjust the sheets every time he rolled!), while I sweated away on my bag.

I'm not sure I'd go for PJ's - I try to keep one clean t-shirt and trousers or thermals for wearing around camp in the evenings and I've been known to sleep in them when its cooler/cold.
Jaxter
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Bushwalking Discussion