SO? Where are you headed when this is over??

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

SO? Where are you headed when this is over??

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 29 Mar, 2020 8:47 am

Anybody thinking of heading out further or will you be sticking closer to home when the Wu-Shu Flu epidemic is over and we have a vaccine
If Cecile will allow me I might have the energy for one last winter camp at Pretty Valley but not further afield
Last edited by Moondog55 on Sun 29 Mar, 2020 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: SO? Where are you headed when this is over??

Postby wildwanderer » Sun 29 Mar, 2020 9:18 am

NZ South island. Had a 10 day walk planned. Was supposed to be flying out yesterday morning. :(

I have 12 month validity flight credits so as soon as this thing is over and the season is compatible with the trip I'm gonnnnnne.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: SO? Where are you headed when this is over

Postby Kickinghorse » Sun 29 Mar, 2020 10:01 am

NZ North and South islands to “tramp” the Tongariro Northern Crossing and Abel Tasman Track. We were booked to fly out in two weeks.
We had also planned and organised to walk the Wicklow Way in September if Covid decides to nick off by then! Has anyone done this walk? If so let us know or your experiences in defence of our stuck at home boredom!
Phil
Kickinghorse
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby warnesy » Sun 29 Mar, 2020 10:09 am

Really wanted to get into Wheeler's Hut before the snow season. Looks pretty unlikely now. But if this ends by late April I might do quick trip out there.
warnesy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Zapruda » Sun 29 Mar, 2020 11:32 am

warnesy wrote:Really wanted to get into Wheeler's Hut before the snow season. Looks pretty unlikely now. But if this ends by late April I might do quick trip out there.

A beautiful hut in a really peaceful location. I highly recommend the slog up to the Dargals behind it. Some great gold diggings below the hut as well.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Zapruda » Sun 29 Mar, 2020 11:36 am

I had to cancel my 6 month trip to the states a few weeks ago. I was due to fly out on the 17th of March... I was going to be walking the Hayduke in Utah and AZ and the PCT.

So I’ve postponed until March next year...

In the mean time, when things calm down here, I’ll get right back to Kosciuszko and Namadgi (provided its open). I was hoping to get some week long ski tours in this winter as well.

As for now I’m content exploring all the lovely reserves right out my door here in Canberra.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lindsay » Sun 29 Mar, 2020 3:42 pm

Portugal, walking the Camino. That's where I would be right now if things were normal.
Lindsay
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby north-north-west » Sun 29 Mar, 2020 3:48 pm

Depends when we get the all clear, and what the weather's like. My "To Do" list keeps growing so there are plenty of options.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby johnw » Sun 29 Mar, 2020 3:52 pm

Was supposed to be at the Gold Coast last week for a reunion with friends.
We were also headed to Darwin/NT at end of May for 2 weeks. First ever NT visit.
At least I got airfare credit vouchers and will probably rebook both when things are more normal.
I'll work it out over the coming months.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby gayet » Sun 29 Mar, 2020 4:47 pm

I am hoping the all clear, at least between Aus and UK, is declared before September. I have my first proper holiday for 5yrs all booked to commence early Sept.

Only 2 weeks, in Snowdonia and Argyle and Bute. No tent but solitary accommodation and solo traveller.

Haven't even considered cancelling . Yet.
gayet

Postby crollsurf » Sun 29 Mar, 2020 4:58 pm

Flying anywhere after this I suspect won't be cheap. I'll spend my $s local and try and get to Tas and SA also. Maybe NT as well.

Himalayas after that

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ribuck » Sun 29 Mar, 2020 5:33 pm

Central Australia, where I had some long off-track trips planned for June and July.

However, I doubt things will be back to normal before the end of the Central Australia bushwalking season in September.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby lseries92 » Sun 29 Mar, 2020 7:51 pm

crollsurf wrote:Flying anywhere after this I suspect won't be cheap. I'll spend my $s local and try and get to Tas and SA also. Maybe NT as well.

Funny you say that - I took a peak last night at airline websites last night to identify potential dates for booking the Milford Track for Feb next year considering I had to cancel it this year. I noticed that the flight costs are well over twice what I paid this year. I certainly hope they come down a bit when this is all over ...
lseries92
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby GregR » Mon 30 Mar, 2020 2:02 pm

I am going to WA in October to the Rowley Shoals (supposedly) so I am hoping to check out some walks around the SW corner after that. Never set foot before in WA so I'm sure it will a nice change of pace.
Locally the Bogong High Plains.
like others here my dream list just keeps getting bigger.
GregR

Postby madpom » Mon 30 Mar, 2020 3:08 pm

Funny that. The to-do trip list grows even faster than this epidemic. I reckon I come home from each trip with at least 10 new trip ideas to add to the list.

Just cancelled our Tassie trip and cant see unnecessary travel AU-NZ being possible until we have a vaccine & everything under control. So at least that narrows it down!

Finish the last 10 days of this flippin East Cape to West Cape trip (width if nz via the main divide) before I get too old is still top priority. Clock is ticking.

A Denistoun Pass alpine crossing the next top summer trip. Would love a winter fortnight in the Southern Ureweras. And Wanganui. And Branch-Leatham. ...

Then theres all those rivers to packraft.

Where do I start?
madpom
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: routeguides.co.nz
Region: New Zealand

Postby CBee » Mon 30 Mar, 2020 3:52 pm

Eastern Arthurs and Fed. From Scotts peak and return because looks like Farmhouse Creek is not going to reopen again.
CBee

Postby donktec » Mon 30 Mar, 2020 4:02 pm

Tassie, probably Frenchman's cap, but we'll see!
donktec
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby north-north-west » Mon 30 Mar, 2020 5:24 pm

CBee wrote:Eastern Arthurs and Fed. From Scotts peak and return because looks like Farmhouse Creek is not going to reopen again.

You will probably be waiting just as long for the track to reopen beyond Kappa Moraine. The Cracroft area was hit pretty badly.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby debkah » Mon 30 Mar, 2020 7:56 pm

Planning to walk Bibbulbum E2E starting 1st September this year. Got everything crossed that this craziness might be done by then, but not hopeful.
debkah
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby biggbird » Mon 30 Mar, 2020 8:02 pm

north-north-west wrote:
CBee wrote:Eastern Arthurs and Fed. From Scotts peak and return because looks like Farmhouse Creek is not going to reopen again.

You will probably be waiting just as long for the track to reopen beyond Kappa Moraine. The Cracroft area was hit pretty badly.

Yeah, I thought this was still closed, got excited for a minute!

We would love to get out to The Spires, amongst others. We had various issues which stopped us being able to do as much walking as we would have liked this summer, but hopefully next summer might be a little more successful.

Honestly, I think we'll just be happy to get out anywhere once this all blows over!
biggbird

Postby CBee » Tue 31 Mar, 2020 1:11 pm

Yeah, I thought this was still closed, got excited for a minute!

I had a conversation with a ranger. He told me they'll start working on it at some stage (eastern McKay track). But the work on Farmhouse Creek track depends from the clearing of the road and that is not up to them, so it could stay closed for a very long time.
CBee

Postby ofuros » Tue 31 Mar, 2020 1:15 pm

Locally, there's penty of Off-Track Gorges, Waterfalls, Caves, Ridges & Peaks whispering ' Come find me '.
So will haunt the Main Range, Lamington, Springbrook, Tamborine, Toonumba NP's , Border & Richmond Ranges...
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Thu 02 Apr, 2020 7:38 am

Zapruda wrote:I had to cancel my 6 month trip to the states a few weeks ago. I was due to fly out on the 17th of March... I was going to be walking the Hayduke in Utah and AZ and the PCT.

So I’ve postponed until March next year...

And never a better decision was made.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/

Postby Ms_Mudd » Thu 02 Apr, 2020 2:01 pm

I was planning on walking Le Puy To Cahors, France this September/October for my 40th birthday, my husband was then flying over to meet me and we were going to Spain to watch the Moto GP and have our wedding anniversary. A huge deal for us to do financially. I cancelled this trip at the beginning of March when I realised we were staring down a pandemic and what they would mean for my employment going forward (healthcare worker). As I was just walking solo and had booked accommodation myself across a variety of platforms, I recouped all but the airfare and Moto GP tickets, but I think that in time, Etihad may credit me as I suspect the Moto GP will also as the race will not be going ahead.

Long way to say- I had huge plans I was excited about. I have lost all the enthusiasm I had for this grand scheme and find myself craving the simple life. I have zero inteest in flying anywhere and even less interest in an international trip. Perhaps in time, when this is all a distant memory that may change for me.
When this all settles down would love nothing better than to roadtrip with my husband and younger kids to see my son and grandsons. He is in the Infantry and is being posted to Adelaide, although is currently on a base only 50 minutes from me...not that I can see him as all the fit, healthy boys and girls of the Army seem to be being kept 'clean' and isolated at the moment. Would plan to drive, camp and geocache our merry was across from NSW to SA. Just simple, good fun. I would plan to do a few overnighters while exploring around as well.
Also keen to hit the Bicentennial National Trail on my pushbike, probably Guidebook 9 as that is loaclish to me and passes through lots of country towns so I could eat like a queen.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby farefam » Tue 07 Apr, 2020 12:56 am

It was very fortunate that I hadn't booked already for the Himalayas 3 passes walk this year. As for the future and the timeline, your guess is as good as mine. I won't be traveling out of Oz until either a vaccine has been developed, or alternatively if I survive COVID infection and become immune. Air fare costs, domestic and international could be a factor for a while unless desperation for business keeps the airlines keen. I have a long overdue reacquaintance to make with the Western Arthurs, but a local multi-night walk on the Cape to Cape or the southern part of the Bibbulmun may have to suffice to start with once restrictions ease within WA. Otherwise the Monadnocks in the Perth Hills would have been good for an easy overnighter in Spring or Winter, but under the current regional boundary travel restrictions that we must abide by, the Monadnocks are currently are just out of bounds for those of us living in the Perth-Peel region. Looking at the map for the first time tonight, the government has placed a very tight net indeed on the geographical boundary of the Perth-Peel region.
farefam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wobbly » Tue 07 Apr, 2020 2:15 pm

Had planned to walk part of Kungsleden and finish the HRP this year but i suspect these are years away now and unfortunately I'm not getting any younger.
Hopefully they are still on track to finish the grampians trail this year, as that at least doesn't involve leaving the state ;-)
wobbly

Postby ribuck » Wed 08 Apr, 2020 4:07 am

wobbly wrote:... unfortunately I'm not getting any younger.

It's a concern of mine too. I have some unfinished multi-day exploration to do in Central Australia, but by the time I'm able to go I might be less able to carry such a heavy pack.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Wed 08 Apr, 2020 7:50 am

ribuck wrote:
wobbly wrote:... unfortunately I'm not getting any younger.

It's a concern of mine too. I have some unfinished multi-day exploration to do in Central Australia, but by the time I'm able to go I might be less able to carry such a heavy pack.

Exactly. Eastern Arthurs, return to the Spires, Greystone, Norold, SW Cape, rest of the Norfolk Range, Tarkiine forest loop (if there's any forest left in the Tarkine by then), Rugby Range traverse, Erskine Range and Berry . . . more Flinders/Vulkathannha exploration, Heysen, more West Macs . . . even going ultralight wouldn't make it much easier on the aging bones.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Trundlers » Sun 12 Apr, 2020 3:22 pm

We had planned to walk Carnarvon great walk this year. That is now cancelled as we simply can't get out to do any distance walking in preparation for walking fitness and it also seems unlikely that the walk/NP will be open for such things until later in the year. Depending on when we get released from lockdown, we will walk and camp as much as possible in Queensland and NSW.
Trundlers
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ribuck » Sun 12 Apr, 2020 5:50 pm

north-north-west wrote:. . . even going ultralight wouldn't make it much easier on the aging bones.

Give ultralight a try, NNW! Although I do acknowledge that it's a lot harder for a proper photographer to go ultralight :)
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Next

Return to Bushwalking Discussion