COVID-19 - General discussion

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: Bushwalk during pandemic?

Postby tastrax » Wed 25 Mar, 2020 4:09 pm

Its getting progressively harder in Tasmania - just issued on Facebook

MoreClosuresPWS.JPG
MoreClosuresPWS.JPG (57.05 KiB) Viewed 18202 times
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service
Region: Tasmania

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 25 Mar, 2020 4:23 pm

Thanks Phil. We just got emailed about this, to let us know that our family OT booking is now cancelled and all campgrounds and overnight walking tracks are now closed completely.

Very disappointing for our kids (and us). But entirely understandable.

More information at this post: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30985#p390235
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 25 Mar, 2020 4:38 pm

Somebody in government isn't thinking this through properly.
Well nothing new there.
There a thousands of indigent and itinerant people in this country, not just the Grey Nomads but all the seasonal workers who travel to work and who have no permanent homes at all, all the Carnies too; some of them have no permanent base and simply live on the road.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby crollsurf » Wed 25 Mar, 2020 4:50 pm

Moondog55 wrote:Somebody in government isn't thinking this through properly.
Well nothing new there.

And this is what I find incredible. It's obvious that the Govt had no plan in place for such an event! It's culpable and stunningly irresponsible.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby slparker » Wed 25 Mar, 2020 5:37 pm

crollsurf wrote:
Moondog55 wrote:Somebody in government isn't thinking this through properly.
Well nothing new there.

And this is what I find incredible. It's obvious that the Govt had no plan in place for such an event! It's culpable and stunningly irresponsible.

Absolutely. This pandemic was completely predictable. Anyone with a glancing interest in history or a cursory education in epidemiology knows this. I told my students last year and the year before that "you will probably be the generation of nurses that will experience a horror H1N1 Influenza pandemic" - well, I was wrong about the type of virus.

What was not predictable was exactly when and what type of virus but these things have been hitting at least since history has been recorded. This government and previous governments have been asleep at the pandemic wheel. We even dodged recent bullets that were astonishingly deadly (SARS in 2003) - that should have been a wake-up call.

More horror stories? We only have two weeks supply of oil in the country too (we stopped refining our own oil a few years ago). I am not saying that to cause panic, and we don't have an immediate threat to supply, but just another instance of our federal government being unable or unwilling to plan for hard times. Should I mention bushfire preparedness - another predictable calamity foreseen by experts mid last year.....?

Another horror story? Australia dodged the second wave of Spanish Influenza in 1919 by closing the borders. What did we do in 2020? Kept flights rolling in, presumably to protect the tourism industry even up to a few days ago the NSW government let a cruise ship with known cases arrive and let the passengers disembark and disperse into sydney....

There has been millions, if not billions, spent planning for terrorist attacks that are a drop in the ocean to the devastation that regularly occurring and predictable natural disasters cause.... and our health system has not got enough masks and gowns.

end>rant
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Biggles » Wed 25 Mar, 2020 6:56 pm

We've got a tangle of agitated backpackers in the Alice looking for somewhere to go with major destinations and camping grounds closed or in the process of closing, with a few traveller-workers having lost their jobs (tour guides etc.) at Uluru. The older Grey Nomads simply spin off into the never-never and hopefully remain well and content. But this debacle could well go on for 6 months.

A far more worrying development now is that kids are contracting COVID-19 — something that was not front and centre on the radar only a few days back with all sorts of theories going around; somebody whispered flippantly, "late bloomers"? Oh dear. Given their mobility through everyday life and society, and the epidemiology of COVID-19's easy, progressive rate of infection, it's entirely (and frighteningly) possible there is shortly going to be an explosion of confirmed COVID-19 infections among children (and pass-on infections) — just use your imagination: a rampant, unchecked cascade across the generations. It's a very good reason for a total lockdown of schools (at the very least, and very overdue now!). The small upside is the kids, by luck or biological quirk, probably won't get anything more than a mild fever and sniffles — touch wood!, but that too has been proven a little off the mark with the revelation of the age range: a toddler, a 7-year old and a 20 year old (a message there for the Twentysomethings who say, "oh, I'm fit, young and healthy, and my body can handle it.") in ICU. For older folk though (in contact with their kids and grandkids), those from 50 to 80, it is much, much more life-threatening (and ending, really) than just a a fever and sniffles, aches and pains and progressively difficult, irregular breathing. Whether the leaders at Federal and State level see fit right now to affect a separation strategy to protect children from both themselves (the immediate closure of schools around the nation as a much-overdue start) and separation from older, the most vulnerable members of the community, well... so far, a jumble of not-so-clear-cut, almost piecemeal messages haven't instilled a blitz of confidence. I just have a deep fear of the worst after reading the discovery of growing infection rates in children.

I've read that emergency services workers, front-line hospital staff etc. have their kids at school, and if they are at home looking after them, their parents are compromising the availability of emergency care in their field by staying home with them. Now things have been turned on their ear with all eyes on kids being infected in what could be the next and more sinister stage of COVID-19 infection, especially community-acquired. So what do you do?? It might well be too late to close the stable doors now.

Australia-wide, I think we are going to be struck numb as witness to something profoundly horrifying around 7-9th April. :(
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ChrisJHC » Thu 26 Mar, 2020 6:01 am

It looks like most state governments are closing their parks and campgrounds.

Time to stay home and sort my gear again. Might do it alphabetically by manufacturer this time.
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby headwerkn » Thu 26 Mar, 2020 8:23 am

I think people just need to be sensible about it.

Obviously overnight hiking in National Parks is a no-no now in Tassie and elsewhere, and you'd be a right muppet to flaunt the rules as authorities will (begrudgingly) be looking for first examples to set so the population en masse realise the restrictions are to be taken seriously.

People also need to be mindful of their own circumstances. If you're an at-risk group you clearly need to be very careful right now. Staying at home as much as humanely possible.

That said, people still need to take care of their physical and mental health, and outdoor recreation is a very important (most of us here would say critical) part of that.

My theory is that going anywhere popular aka. Cradle, Freycinet etc for a walk is silly, but short rambles in obscure off-track places where you're fairly guaranteed of not seeing another soul should be fine. I can't see any more risk in that than, say, walking through the middle of Launceston CBD during the day... which, as of right now anyway, is both legal and encouraged (sort of) to help support those businesses still operating.

The only proviso I'd add, if people are going to go out for a walk, is winding back your sense of "acceptable risk" several notches. Now's not the time to be requiring rescue, for obvious reasons.

Sadly, this means the only way I'll be enjoying my new Hilleberg Nammatj will be on the back lawn. Which is mighty tempting anyway.... ;-)
headwerkn

Postby north-north-west » Thu 26 Mar, 2020 10:02 am

Biggles wrote:A far more worrying development now is that kids are contracting COVID-19 — something that was not front and centre on the radar only a few days back with all sorts of theories going around.

Children have been getting infected right from the start - it's why there was a big push from sensible people to close schools except for children of essential workers. They have largely, until the last few days, been asymptomatic carriers. All this was spelled out early on, but the government didn't want to know. People don't matter to them as much as money.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby wayno » Thu 26 Mar, 2020 12:47 pm

NZ have closed National parks to the public.
advice is not to go hiking at all.
driving for anything other than essential reasons is banned.
police are stopping and questioning people.
you have to take exercise from where you live...
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby rcaffin » Thu 26 Mar, 2020 1:08 pm

There has been some complaints about "if I can't go walking I'll go mad", but I have to say that sounds terribly self-indulgent. People managed in London under nightly V2 raids, people survived in WW II prison camps: surely they had it a lot rougher?
And now is definitely the time for a bit of MYOG!

Cheers
Roger
PS: after the big storms we are very busy cleaning up the mess on our farm - fallen trees etc. That will do.
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wayno » Thu 26 Mar, 2020 1:37 pm

WW2 if you were in a crucial industry you would work 11 hour days, if you were somewhere like russia you may work 16 hour days.
your taxes were through the roof, you'd be rioting if you had taxes like that today... around 25,000 people died a day... on average for 6 years... you couldnt buy new cars or appliances or fashionable clothing for 6 years, food was heavily rationed and the range of food could be very limited, and bland... holiday destinations were pretty limited, fuel was expensive and heavily rationed...
if you were in an occupied country you could end up as slave labour or worse if you were a Jew in germany. so how bad is a lockdown? so your forfathers and mothers went through all that and dealt with it....
Last edited by wayno on Thu 26 Mar, 2020 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Thu 26 Mar, 2020 1:40 pm

Sydney Region National Park Visitor Centres have now closed for health and safety reasons.
Tracks etc remain open at this stage (notwithstanding specific park or track closures due to fire/storm/flood damage or operational reasons).
Jenolan Caves has also closed until further notice.

https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/alerts/alerts-list
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 26 Mar, 2020 2:16 pm

Maybe I'll start dragging the small tyres around the block? After I get the housework done. Even a trip around the block once is damned hard work, even more so if I simulate a winter trip and pack 20kg into the rucksack at the same time [ I'll work up to that gradually perhaps] but no travelling for us except for essential trips to get fresh vegetables and dairy. No travel might be the best thing any and all of us can do during this crisis. DIY projects abound.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jonnosan » Thu 26 Mar, 2020 3:43 pm

NSW National Park has just banned all camping effective effective Friday March 27. At this stage it looks like the parks remain open for daywalks (excluding all the bushfire affected areas of course) but that may change soon enoiugh.
jonnosan

Postby johnw » Thu 26 Mar, 2020 4:42 pm

jonnosan wrote:NSW National Park has just banned all camping effective effective Friday March 27. At this stage it looks like the parks remain open for daywalks (excluding all the bushfire affected areas of course) but that may change soon enoiugh.

https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/npws-covid-19
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Warin » Thu 26 Mar, 2020 6:18 pm

Tasmanian parks closed, including day walks, fishing, MTBs and tours.
Nuts wrote:Critical Alert

Closed area: All parks and reserves closed
From 26/3/2020, last reviewed 26/3/2020

​Following advice from the Tasmania Department of Health and Tasmanian Government that our community should limit unnecessary travel during the COVID-19 pandemic, the PWS has closed all national parks, reserves and campgrounds until further notice.

The PWS is calling on Tasmanian’s to support the national effort to limit the spread of COVID-19 and stay home during this time.

From midnight Thursday 26 March, PWS is temporarily closing all national parks, reserves, campgrounds and facilities to recreational and tourism use. This means that all day walks, mountain biking, fishing and tours will not be permitted. Washrooms, day use facilities, showers and visitor centres are closed until further notice.​
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Biggles » Thu 26 Mar, 2020 6:26 pm

Moondog55 wrote:Maybe I'll start dragging the small tyres around the block? After I get the housework done. Even a trip around the block once is damned hard work, even more so if I simulate a winter trip and pack 20kg into the rucksack at the same time [ I'll work up to that gradually perhaps] but no travelling for us except for essential trips to get fresh vegetables and dairy. No travel might be the best thing any and all of us can do during this crisis. DIY projects abound.

Best that you get going asap with that idea of a walk around the block however which and what way you do it.
We're thinking a total lockdown (Stage3-plus?) is very close on the horizon at this point, and that would involve being confined to the house/backyard -- quite severe compared to Stage 2 restrictions. I saw images of Melbourne on the web -- it looks absolutely desolate, nothing like that has ever been seen, even my mum, who was around when the Spanish Flu hit, said "shouldn't there be more people around the city?" Well, when you get to 104, funny questions might tumble out... :lol:

Get some local walking in while you still can.
Last edited by Biggles on Fri 27 Mar, 2020 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Neo » Thu 26 Mar, 2020 6:42 pm

NSW parks just closed all official areas such as campgrounds and visitor centres. The parks themselves are still open

https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/npws-covid-19
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby MrWalker » Thu 26 Mar, 2020 7:06 pm

Warin wrote:Tasmanian parks closed, including day walks, fishing, MTBs and tours.

Do they really think we go into parks to have a party?
Most people I know go there to get away from people, not to hang around in groups.
MrWalker

Postby andrewa » Thu 26 Mar, 2020 7:43 pm

On one side of the coin, I can understand restricting access, to minimise the group gatherings in huts ( which is an issue with huts), but beyond this, yes, we do normally go away to get away from people. I’m all for going bushwalking, but , in doing so, practice major social isolation. Tent camp only, and avoid huts, with their rats!

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby boronia » Fri 27 Mar, 2020 12:46 pm

wayno wrote:NZ have closed National parks to the public.

The official website says "Right now that is means DOC facilities and offices are closed, and tracks and national parks are out of bounds unless they are right by your home."
https://www.doc.govt.nz/news/issues/covid-19/

I wonder what they consider "right by your home" to be? No driving, or a short drive? Not specific.

If we get to such a stage I hope they are more clear on this. People will still be walking on the streets for exercise which is surely more high risk than walking a bush track within a short vicinity (saw 15 minute drive max) from home. It's not just National Parks anyway. Lots of other bush around. Idiots will be out in force in state forests etc as authorities can not cover these areas at the best of times.
boronia
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Warin » Fri 27 Mar, 2020 1:56 pm

boronia wrote:I wonder what they consider "right by your home" to be? No driving, or a short drive? Not specific.

Kiwi English? No driving. "Right by your home" - adjacent to your home, not a block away.

boronia wrote: People will still be walking on the streets for exercise which is surely more high risk than walking a bush track within a short vicinity (saw 15 minute drive max) from home. It's not just National Parks anyway. Lots of other bush around. Idiots will be out in force in state forests etc as authorities can not cover these areas at the best of times.

Well Waverly Council has closed all their beaches, not just Bondi. And they are appealing that people observe distancing in there other places - such as parks. The threat is if distancing does not take place the council will close parks too.

Forestry Corp NSW has closed "campgrounds and picnic areas in State forests where large groups can congregate" but "Walking tracks and low-traffic open spaces will remain open where possible to accommodate people exercising." I think similar things are happening elsewhere or will do shortly.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wayno » Fri 27 Mar, 2020 2:14 pm

boronia wrote:
wayno wrote:NZ have closed National parks to the public.

The official website says "Right now that is means DOC facilities and offices are closed, and tracks and national parks are out of bounds unless they are right by your home."
https://www.doc.govt.nz/news/issues/covid-19/

I wonder what they consider "right by your home" to be? No driving, or a short drive? Not specific.

If we get to such a stage I hope they are more clear on this. People will still be walking on the streets for exercise which is surely more high risk than walking a bush track within a short vicinity (saw 15 minute drive max) from home. It's not just National Parks anyway. Lots of other bush around. Idiots will be out in force in state forests etc as authorities can not cover these areas at the best of times.

the police have also said they don't want you heading into the hills, because they want nil risk of people needing to be rescued... anything more than a modest walk is a no no they want all exercise to be close to your place of self isolation. mountain bike parks are being shut... they want people staying in their main homes and not in holiday homes....
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 27 Mar, 2020 3:12 pm

So what have I been getting in my emails? What have I been bombarded with on Facebook?
Lots of advertising for camping and walking gear and messages to "Get out there" and take advantage of the reduced prices on the Easter sales WT *$&#???
But the stupidity isn't a crime yet,
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby boronia » Fri 27 Mar, 2020 3:44 pm

Moondog55 wrote:So what have I been getting in my emails? What have I been bombarded with on Facebook?
Lots of advertising for camping and walking gear and messages to "Get out there" and take advantage of the reduced prices on the Easter sales WT *$&#???

Stocking up for later? With all the retailers moving to online only now it's their only way of continuing to make an income
boronia
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby boronia » Fri 27 Mar, 2020 3:49 pm

Warin wrote:
boronia wrote:I wonder what they consider "right by your home" to be? No driving, or a short drive? Not specific.

Kiwi English? No driving. "Right by your home" - adjacent to your home, not a block away.

Woolworths and Coles are 100000x more of a risk than anything else, including driving a few minutes to get to a bit of bushland for a solitary walk. So they'll want to be very specific if they're going to bring in restrictions like that.
Hope someone will be out there policing the trail bikers and 4wders because they're not going to follow any rules. Lots of ground to cover there.
boronia
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 27 Mar, 2020 3:56 pm

boronia wrote:
Moondog55 wrote:So what have I been getting in my emails? What have I been bombarded with on Facebook?

Stocking up for later? With all the retailers moving to online only now it's their only way of continuing to make an income

Maybe but why bother to mention camping at all in this climate?
I know that margins were tight and the industry as a whole isn't all that profitable. But it gives people the idea that camping a good idea. Camping is a great idea but just not here not now.
Social distancing around here is a joke. I am afraid half the population either don't really care or they think it's a beat-up. I did think it was a beat-up myself until just recently but I now take it very seriously
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Biggles » Fri 27 Mar, 2020 5:27 pm

Retail advertising in print and television media is made and paid for months in advance. What you are seeing now by way of advertising is what happens each and every year and was finalised around September-October last year for the busy Easter period (Christmas advertising would have been shot in June to August). Nobody then could have foretold nor foreseen the emergency the world is now facing.

As for Facebook, don't get too carried away with "stupidity" without giving FB a good mentioning. The misinformation and bullsh!t is astonishing and must stop.
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Biggles » Fri 27 Mar, 2020 5:36 pm

Moondog55 wrote:
boronia wrote:

Maybe but why bother to mention camping at all in this climate?
I know that margins were tight and the industry as a whole isn't all that profitable. But it gives people the idea that camping a good idea. Camping is a great idea but just not here not now.
Social distancing around here is a joke. I am afraid half the population either don't really care or they think it's a beat-up. I did think it was a beat-up myself until just recently but I now take it very seriously

Actually, outdoor retailing is profitable for the bigger retailers like Paddy Pallin, Kathmandu and MacPac, but their margins have been shrinking a lot in the last 2 years. Smaller retailers aren't doing so well at all. Kathmandu is now closed I believe; I don't know what the others are doing. Really, I don't think the outdoor market in Australia is big enough to support the "Big 3" with the smaller independents also jostling for attention. There will be a casualty. We saw that with Mountain Designs. We aint seen nothing yet.

We may not be camping again until September at the latest. I've got all my camping stuff with me, intending for weekends away, but that isn't happening. Just short walks around nearby my apartment in Alice or a scamble up the hills around The Gap/Havitree. Its a bugger-all and all too real now in the reach of both risk and tragedy, and it's time people stopped bickering and arguing what they are going to or want to do anyhow, irrespective of the rules in place applying to everybody, and sit down like the rest of us. We're all in this together now.
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

PreviousNext

Return to Bushwalking Discussion