Thredbo - Main Range - Recommended maps

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Thredbo - Main Range - Recommended maps

Postby Chev » Fri 21 Feb, 2020 8:41 am

We are going up to Thredbo for the weekend, first time up that way for several years. We will only be up for a kid friendly day walk, so I don't anticipate much need for navigation, but I do like to have maps.

I have the old Mount Kosciusko 1:50000, which I always liked, but it is falling apart and maybe best left in the archives. I think I also still have a Perisher Valley 1:25000. I have the Rooftop map for Namadgi and find this has more useful information than the standard 1:25000s. Is there a good one in this series for the Main Range? Or just stick with the 1:25000?

I can just have a look at what they have in Paddy's, but I thought it would be worth tapping the wisdom of the board here as well.

Cheers.
Chev
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Thredbo - Main Range - Recommended maps

Postby GBW » Fri 21 Feb, 2020 9:05 am

Rooftop Mount Kosciuszko Summit Access Pocket Map or Spatial Vision Kosciuszko Alpine Area are both OK. There's also some good info in Chapmans AAWT book.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby johnw » Fri 21 Feb, 2020 9:47 am

Chev wrote:I have the old Mount Kosciusko 1:50000, which I always liked, but it is falling apart and maybe best left in the archives. I think I also still have a Perisher Valley 1:25000.

Those two are my favourites when I visit. I have quite a few other maps but seem to always fall back to these. The Kosci 1:50,000 has been out of print for ages and not available for download as a PDF to my knowledge. Worth taping it up to prolong its life, mine is probably starting to become more sticky tape than map these days.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Zapruda » Fri 21 Feb, 2020 12:16 pm

The old maps rule. I love them.

But lately I have been using these beauties - https://www.wildernesssports.com.au/pro ... szko-map-1

Tear proof, waterproof, Small, double sided. The 1:40 000 scale is excellent, just enough detail. There are 3 KNP maps in the series. Mt Kosciuszko, Schlink and Jagungal. Id love to see some made for the northern end of the park as well.

Bruce at Wilderness sports in Jindabyne always has a good stock of them.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Chev » Fri 21 Feb, 2020 4:12 pm

Thanks folks. I'll take what I've got but look out for the Rooftop and Sutmap.
Chev
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Bushwalking Discussion