New to bushwalking

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

New to bushwalking

Postby cherryz » Mon 16 Nov, 2009 2:17 pm

Hi and well..i'm a complete noob =p
Anyway as a part post-HSC thigns to kill time, i was thinking of going bushwalking and exploring, getting fit on an adventure and well, getting active of course :)
So i'm looking here for advice, specifically...
*where do i start? as in getting organised, what equipment would i need?(I have a few friends who did outdoor ed and duke of ed at school; so we're not completely inexperienced)
*any ideas on where? we're all pretty fit and active people,so i was thinking of maybe a half-day walk, and maybe we'll build onto camping or something. i was specifically thinking of somewhere around Brisbane waters national park(i mainly want to get on/off at wondabyne station heh) I'd prefer to look around the coast maybe, somewhere with nice scenery, water for swimming? views, etc
*equipment, clothing, maps etc. This might sound stupid but would a car's gps work?
Thanks in advance!
cherryz
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Re: New to bushwalking

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 16 Nov, 2009 2:52 pm

I can't offer much advice about walking around the Brisbane area, but here's some example lists of equipment:
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby Macca81 » Mon 16 Nov, 2009 2:55 pm

*where do i start? as in getting organised, what equipment would i need?(I have a few friends who did outdoor ed and duke of ed at school; so we're not completely inexperienced)

overnight or day walk? there are a few lists on this site that will give you all the info you need, but for a overnighter you need a pack, sleeping bag, sleeping mat, tent, cooking gear and food, first aid kit. day walk, pack, lunch, first aid kit. thats just the minimum in my opinon
*any ideas on where? we're all pretty fit and active people,so i was thinking of maybe a half-day walk, and maybe we'll build onto camping or something. i was specifically thinking of somewhere around Brisbane waters national park(i mainly want to get on/off at wondabyne station heh) I'd prefer to look around the coast maybe, somewhere with nice scenery, water for swimming? views, etc

if your fit, then id sugest a half day walk would hardly be a challenge, im not an overly fit man, but walking all day is not all that difficult. where, well i cant help you with brisbane area, and i have no idea where wondabyne station is... spose, ya get that on a tassie forum tho huh :p
*equipment, clothing, maps etc. This might sound stupid but would a car's gps work?
Thanks in advance!
depends on the gps, some car ones are perfectly fine for walking, but most are made solely for street nav. if you wanna get into it with a gps, buy one that will suit your needs
geoskid wrote:nothing but the best of several brands will do :)
Macca81
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Herbalife

Postby Ent » Mon 16 Nov, 2009 3:21 pm

Content removed by poster
Last edited by Ent on Tue 16 Nov, 2010 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Chrisbulldog » Mon 16 Nov, 2009 3:57 pm

Good luck Cheeryz . I was recently in the Brisbane and South East Queensland area and can perhaps offer a few suggestions . First as far as equipment goes , BOOTS and a good day pack re a good start , although good runners are ok for starters. The Brisbane River national park and also Mt Tamborine have good day walks ranging from easy to one like Witches Falls which will test a little. Also O'Rielly's area has good ones , ranging from a FREE tree top walk , including a climb up a tree , to the ultimate in the Border Track which is 21 ks long. As you progress there is the 50k hinterland track , which is part of the Border track but goes through to the Gold Coast. If you look up Qld national park websites , they have very good info. Cheers Chris
Valentine's Peak , Overland Track , Walls of Jerusalem , The Temple
Chrisbulldog
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby cherryz » Mon 16 Nov, 2009 4:43 pm

Oh woops, i forgot to mention that I live/am looking at the Sydney area.
Well thanks for the links and advice!
I guess ill look into it more, I think i'll checkout my friends car GPS(assuming he'll letme borrow it haha) if not i'll probably look into a good ole fashioned compass + map, seeing as i doubt a phone and google maps would be too effective(vodafone coverage is fail)
I'm still in the planning stages, this idea was only brought up literally hours ago heh.
cherryz
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby jcr_au » Mon 16 Nov, 2009 6:03 pm

I don't know much about walking near Sydney myself, but I gather there is a track of 25km length, or so, starting at north head and following the waterline back towards the bridge, and there is the Great North Walk from Sydney to Newcastle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_North_Walk

john r
John R
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work.
I want to achieve immortality through not dying."
jcr_au
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby melinda » Mon 16 Nov, 2009 7:17 pm

Hi Cherryz,
Sounds like it would be a good idea if you had a look at some of the Sydney Clubs.
Clubs are safe place to start and you may meet other like minded people.
They can also point you in the right direction for suitable gear.
Have a look at some of the clubs like SBW (http://sbw.org.au) or SUBW (http://www.subw.org.au).
Good luck, Melinda
'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing'
melinda
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby johnw » Tue 17 Nov, 2009 1:19 am

cherryz wrote:any ideas on where? we're all pretty fit and active people,so i was thinking of maybe a half-day walk, and maybe we'll build onto camping or something. i was specifically thinking of somewhere around Brisbane waters national park(i mainly want to get on/off at wondabyne station heh) I'd prefer to look around the coast maybe, somewhere with nice scenery, water for swimming? views, etc

Try this link Brisbane Water National Park Walks at http://www.wildwalks.com. A lot of walks of the type that you're seeking, including starting from Wondabyne, can be researched through its search facility. I've walked most places around the Sydney region but yet to do anything coastal much north of the Hawkesbury R, such as Brisbane Water NP. Seen it across the water plenty of times from the south though :), and I have to drive up there in a couple of weeks time so might try to fit a walk in myself. If you're getting off the train at Wondabyne, I believe you need to tell the guard otherwise they won't stop there (the station is in the NP and isn't a scheduled stop).

Echoing other comments, please research the gear needed etc and start off with easier walks in safe areas, building up from that. Wondabyne to Kariong Brook Falls sounds interesting for a short trip. It covers part of the Great North Walk mentioned earlier, looks like a fair bit of uphill but might be OK if fitness is not a problem. Otherwise I know there are several coastal options nearby.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 17 Nov, 2009 7:41 am

ah... so Brisbane Waters National Park is nowhere near Brisbane? This topic is starting to make more sense to me now. :oops: Sorry for my confusion. :-)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Macca81 » Tue 17 Nov, 2009 8:55 am

Son of a Beach wrote:ah... so Brisbane Waters National Park is nowhere near Brisbane? This topic is starting to make more sense to me now. :oops: Sorry for my confusion. :-)

really? your a step ahead of me then :?
Macca81
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby johnw » Tue 17 Nov, 2009 12:09 pm

Macca81 wrote:
Son of a Beach wrote:ah... so Brisbane Waters National Park is nowhere near Brisbane? This topic is starting to make more sense to me now. :oops: Sorry for my confusion. :-)

really? your a step ahead of me then :?

It's in the lower Central Coast region to the north of Sydney, but south of Newcastle, close to places like Woy Woy and Gosford. I don't know the history of why it's named Brisbane Water though, it refers to the body of water of that name adjoining part of the NP.

Actually someone posted a pano shot from around there a while back. Here it is:

http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1785&p=14968&hilit=warrah#p14968
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby beanie kids » Wed 18 Nov, 2009 10:58 am

I think Brisbane Water Nat Park is named after Governor General Brisbane who was a governor of NSW?? So was Brisbane in Qld named after a NSW Governor?? (oh don't start Qld'ers!)

BWNP is our local, as is the Great North Walk. I reckon for summer walking you either hot foot it to Tas or NZ or only walk near beaches or waterfalls. Yes, I am not a "summer person"....

If you like the water theme idea and for some nice scenic intros you could try these:

- urban bushwalk around Syd Harbour from the zoo to Manly - ferry return
- walk in Kuringai Nat Park from the Mt Kuringai or Berowa train stn to Apple Tree Bay http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/Natio ... 0000000153
- BWNP is hot in summer as its lots of sandstone heath but the walk to Pearl Beach from the road up top is quite nice - buy an iceblock and have a swim for the trip back up the hill....in Spring its a marvel of wildflowers - waratahs, etc.
- walk to Maitland Bay in Bouddi Nat Park (near Brisbane Water Nat pk - need to drive)
- Great North Walk bits around Mount Wondabyne is a really easy 2 day (you can get off the train at Hawkesbury River - ferry to the Broken Bay Rec Centre and then walk north to Mt Wondabyne (that knob you see from the F3), camp and then walk to Wondabyne Station - good thing is its all in mobile range and easy evacuation walk to Woy Woy if it all gets a bit much. We met some 12 year old scouts doing this on their own. Nice waterfalls on the way.
- the ultimate classic summer Coast Track - Royal National Park - train to Cronulla, ferry to Bundeena, walk along the sandstone sea clifs and heath to Marley Beach -you can make this a 1 or 2 day walk. http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/Natio ... x?id=N0030
- then there is the Blue Mtns - where do you start? Anywhere with a waterfall of course! - Wentworth Falls/Katoomba has lots of options - stay on top of the cliff, go half way down the cliff or into the valley depending on fitness. Slacks Stairs/Golden Staircase et al are fun for those that like ladders, ropes and heights....

All these walks can be done by anyone with basic fitness, a bit of common sense and a map :D .
beanie kids
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Lindsay » Wed 18 Nov, 2009 11:54 am

There's also an excellent day walk from Wondabyne station to Pindar cave, about 12 k return along the ridge top with excellent views over Broken Bay. The cave is a very big sandstone overhang apparently used by the local Aborigines, although there is no sign of this now. The only problem is that there is no water to be had along the way, so take plenty. This is not a well travelled track so is best done with someone else if you don't feel comfortable with your experience level yet. It's possible to make it an overnighter by staying in the cave (no need for tents) but you would have to carry in sufficient water. Even so, its a good walk and not too strenuous once up the big hill at Wondabyne.
Lindsay

Postby frank_in_oz » Wed 18 Nov, 2009 4:19 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:I can't offer much advice about walking around the Brisbane area, but here's some example lists of equipment:

Nik was also kind enough to write this excellent post last year about beginning bushwalking. Might be worth a read.

Hiking gear - What are the basics to get started?

John Chapman also had a few interesting suggestions -The guru's advice to a newby - John Chapman's ideas

Good luck with it all, it is a great pastime.
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnw » Wed 18 Nov, 2009 10:57 pm

beanie kids wrote:- the ultimate classic summer Coast Track - Royal National Park - train to Cronulla, ferry to Bundeena, walk along the sandstone sea clifs and heath to Marley Beach -you can make this a 1 or 2 day walk. http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/Natio ... x?id=N0030

Good suggestion :). Last Saturday I walked a circuit from Bundeena to Marley Head, with a side trip to The Cobblers, returning via Big Marley Trail and an unmapped local track. Temp was getting to mid 30s in places around Sydney but the sea breeze along the coast kept it quite comfortable. With vehicle transport it's easy to invent a variety of day walks that take in parts of the Coast Track. My favourite is Otford Gap > Garrawarra Ridge to Governor Game Lookout > Down the trackless (more or less) Thelma Ridge > Coast Track back to Otford Gap via North Era, Burning Palms, Palm Jungle etc. Some great scenery and it can also be done starting from Otford Railway Station. An easier/shorter version is to take the track from Garawarra Farm directly down to Burning Palms.

beanie kids wrote:- then there is the Blue Mtns - where do you start? Anywhere with a waterfall of course! - Wentworth Falls/Katoomba has lots of options - stay on top of the cliff, go half way down the cliff or into the valley depending on fitness. Slacks Stairs/Golden Staircase et al are fun for those that like ladders, ropes and heights....

Another summer favourite destination. Down through Valley of the Waters is great, say via Wentworth Pass and return via National Pass or vice versa. Slacks Stairs only has one short, easy roped section. Yes the vertical ladders are a bit vertiginous. I'm usually uncomfortable with heights, but have no trouble with those. Signage does warn less experienced walkers though. In the mid-mountains an easy (and really nice) waterfall circuit can be done starting from Hazelbrook Station, visiting Adeline Falls, Junction Falls, Cataract Falls, Federal Falls, Victor Falls and Terrace Falls. Very cool. It does involve some quiet road walking at each end but worth it for the other bits. Best done after rain if possible to see the falls at maximum flow.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Erica » Thu 19 Nov, 2009 4:18 pm

johnw wrote:Good suggestion :). Last Saturday I walked a circuit from Bundeena to Marley Head, with a side trip to The Cobblers, returning via Big Marley Trail and an unmapped local track. Temp was getting to mid 30s in places around Sydney but the sea breeze along the coast kept it quite comfortable. With vehicle transport it's easy to invent a variety of day walks that take in parts of the Coast Track. My favourite is Otford Gap > Garrawarra Ridge to Governor Game Lookout > Down the trackless (more or less) Thelma Ridge > Coast Track back to Otford Gap via North Era, Burning Palms, Palm Jungle etc. Some great scenery and it can also be done starting from Otford Railway Station. An easier/shorter version is to take the track from Garawarra Farm directly down to Burning Palms.

I really love walking in these areas, some beautiful coastal tracks and also some fantastic ridge line views back to the city. A good thing about this area is that if you plan it you're not far away from toilets and other comforts (there are even kiosk at a couple of the beaches I think) and its quite easy to get to via public transport.

A few years ago I did a nice walk from Cowan (i think...) station in the Kuringai NP to Jerusalem Bay and continuing on to another station, a nice, quite easy half day(ish) walk.

Erica
Erica
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby cherryz » Mon 07 Dec, 2009 12:49 am

Well after a busy week im finally getting back into planning this, hopefully i can pull something off sometime this week, however i was reminded that it's bushfire season isn't it? are there any precautions or risks associated with this?
cherryz
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Mon 07 Dec, 2009 3:18 am

Yes. There is the risk of getting burnt in bushfires :shock:
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby cherryz » Mon 07 Dec, 2009 8:26 pm

Haha, well are there any precautions I should take to minimise this risk?
cherryz
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Macca81 » Mon 07 Dec, 2009 9:13 pm

if you can see the flames, your too close.

walk away from smoke.

stay downhill of fire.

dont light fires.
Macca81
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby johnw » Tue 08 Dec, 2009 12:48 am

cherryz wrote:Haha, well are there any precautions I should take to minimise this risk?

Some places and/or days are best avoided at present (e.g. today). In NSW it is good to monitor the NPWS web site for park closures, fire bans etc:
http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/NationalParks/FireClosure.aspx

Walking tracks or entire reserves may be closed during conditions of extreme fire risk. Ring the appropriate park office for up to date information. For non-national park areas contact the relevant land manager, usually local council, state forest or Dept. of Lands (or whatever it's called this week :roll: ).

Also check the RFS site for additional information such as current incidents/status and scheduled hazard reduction burns:
http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/

Finally, check the weather forecast including fire weather warnings:
http://www.bom.gov.au/weather/nsw/

IMHO during current conditions it's best to start early if possible and stick to relatively safe walks with bail out options. That often means easier walks - save the more challenging/remote ones for when the weather cools down a bit.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tasadam » Tue 08 Dec, 2009 10:36 am

johnw wrote:
cherryz wrote:Haha, well are there any precautions I should take to minimise this risk?

Some places and/or days are best avoided at present (e.g. today). In NSW it is good to monitor the NPWS web site for park closures, fire bans etc:
http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/NationalParks/FireClosure.aspx

Walking tracks or entire reserves may be closed during conditions of extreme fire risk. Ring the appropriate park office for up to date information. For non-national park areas contact the relevant land manager, usually local council, state forest or Dept. of Lands (or whatever it's called this week :roll: ).

Also check the RFS site for additional information such as current incidents/status and scheduled hazard reduction burns:
http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/

Finally, check the weather forecast including fire weather warnings:
http://www.bom.gov.au/weather/nsw/

IMHO during current conditions it's best to start early if possible and stick to relatively safe walks with bail out options. That often means easier walks - save the more challenging/remote ones for when the weather cools down a bit.

An excellent post, John. Thanks for all that info.
Bushfire seriousness is a different game up there isn't it.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby johnw » Tue 08 Dec, 2009 3:17 pm

tasadam wrote:An excellent post, John. Thanks for all that info.
Bushfire seriousness is a different game up there isn't it.

Thanks Adam. Sure is. In my neck of the woods 40 degrees today, 39 yesterday. Not a drop of rain in sight and it's been like that for weeks. We've had track and park closures during the past few weekends and numerous fires already. Total fire ban in place and some parts of NSW currently have a fire danger rating of "catastrophic".

To think just a few months ago I was bushwalking in Tasmania in torrential rain, snow and ice. What a contrast!
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby cherryz » Sat 12 Dec, 2009 12:51 am

Thanks so much for the help everyone!
Looks like we'll probably be going for a pretty relaxed walk down south instead sometime next week
http://www.wildwalks.com/bushwalking-an ... burgh.html
So I suppose printing out the map and track notes would be enough? if not where could i get maps etc?
any last things i need to do before leaving? thanks guys.
cherryz
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby johnw » Sat 12 Dec, 2009 11:38 pm

cherryz wrote:Thanks so much for the help everyone!
Looks like we'll probably be going for a pretty relaxed walk down south instead sometime next week
http://www.wildwalks.com/bushwalking-an ... burgh.html
So I suppose printing out the map and track notes would be enough? if not where could i get maps etc?
any last things i need to do before leaving? thanks guys.

The notes are good and those maps are OK, essentially derived from the topographic maps. I've used them once or twice, but the proper topographic maps are better in my opinion as they generally cover a wider area and have more detail. For some walks they're essential and I think it's a good idea to carry them anyway. If you do make a navigational error you can better orientate yourself to your surroundings. Learning to read maps and basic navigation techniques are important aspects of bushwalking, even if you're walking mainly on tracks.

From http://www.wildwalks.com: "For longer walks please carry full topographical maps of the area (listed for each walk), If you need to make an emergency exit the maps provided may not cover enough terrain."

That said, the walk you are proposing is fairly easy on well defined tracks. Wild Walks grades it "Hard" but mainly because of the ~500m elevation gain I suspect. I've walked those tracks without any problems, although the Otford-Helensburgh section only once and it was several years ago when we walked from Helensburgh through to Waterfall. The section near Helensburgh was a bit underwhelming, going around the back of a tip and football oval along a wire fence from memory :( . Elsewhere it's fine.

The Royal National Park Tourist Map (1:30,000 topographic) covers the area you want. You can get it for about $7 from many camping and outdoor shops around Sydney. In the CBD Paddy Pallin and several others in Kent Street, Map World in Pitt Steet (closed Sundays), or the park itself (from the visitor centre in Audley - out of your way if travelling by train). Your local camping store may also have it...worth asking.

Personally I think this one is a better walk if starting at Otford Station, as it takes in some of the best parts of the southern end of the Coast Track. It would be more strenuous and longer though. It's one of my favourite circuits (we park at Otford Gap) but usually do it in a clockwise direction, and haven't to date bothered to walk to the figure of eight pool.

Last things? If you've researched the suggestions given earlier and have the correct gear then you should be OK to go. Might be obvious but take plenty of water in the current heatwave conditions, hats, sunglasses, sunscreen, insect repellant, first aid/emergency items etc. Also keep an eye out for snakes as they sometimes like to sleep in the middle of walking tracks. Finally, enjoy the walk - don't forget to take a camera and post some photos in the gallery section afterwards. :)
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Bushwalking Discussion