What to do in such a situation - and do you set off PLB?

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: What to do in such a situation - and do you set off PLB?

Postby tastrax » Tue 16 Jul, 2019 8:03 pm

So given the circumstances - No PLB, some other gear lost (may be important) he seems to have done the right thing and just hunkered down instead of trying to walk out.
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service
Region: Tasmania

Postby emma_melbourne » Tue 16 Jul, 2019 8:35 pm

It's interesting - I grew up in New Zealand, which as you all know has lots of mountains, and in many areas very dense bush. (With canopy layer, tree ferns, and then undergrowth.)

And it was relatively common for someone to take their pack off on the edge of the trail, go to the toilet, and then become lost trying to find the trail again. With fog or snow sometimes being a factor, but often just the dense bush and lack of ability to see sky or any landmarks to orientate oneself.

They're then without their pack, without equipment or clothing or anything else. A dangerous situation.

I got one of the P-Style urination devices for women, which comes with a case that clips on the front shoulder strap of my pack with a carabiner. And therefore can be used easily without taking my pack off. I'm a bit allergic to parting with my pack, whether my main pack or my daypack, jut because of growing up in NZ and hearing such stories.

The other interesting thing is that many backpacks - well and tents also - are designed to be "blendy" - to blend in with surrounds with often green and olive colour tones. I think of the USA Granite Gear packs in earthy or olive green tones designed to blend in, and many tents are green.

And it's in such circumstances that screaming orange and red colours are actually good as they stick out like a sore thumb.

On the PLB front, I think a Garmin InReach mini is preferable because one can send a wide range of messages, such as pre-sets of "I'm fine but caught in bad weather and will be late", or whatever, as well as set of the emergency signal. They cost $475 Australian dollars including postage. (But do need a Garmin plan on top of that.)
See: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Garmin-inRe ... 3438101282 (no affiliate link or any investment in using this link)

Versus a regular PLB device without messaging ability is around $250-$300.

In this case, he'd become separated from his pack and the PLB device anyway, so it wouldn't have made a difference if he'd had a Garmin InReach mini or not.

But in many other circumstances of being stuck somewhere in bad weather, the messaging capability of a Garmin InReach mini (or regular size device) might be very helpful.
emma_melbourne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby ofuros » Wed 17 Jul, 2019 4:07 am

Hiring a satellite phone is another communication option...combined with a plb.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Xplora » Wed 17 Jul, 2019 5:46 am

bernieq wrote:Some years ago, I put a senario to both AMSA and NZSAR - whether to activate a PLB if :
1. overdue on a multi-day trip, no mobile coverage, not injured or at risk
2. a responsible person with trip details was due to alert authorities to the overdue trip
Specifically, the question was : should the PLB be activated to simplify the subsequent search?

NZSAR said - Yes, activate.
AMSA said - No, not life threatening so must not activate.

That was a decade ago and protocols and attitudes do change.

However, I would judge an incident at the time, based on all of the circumstances.
Delayed because of flooding, now on track and 1 day late - no, I wouldn't activate.
Delayed because of heavy snow, high winds, could have difficulty finding route back to trailhead, likely to be 2+ days late - yes, I would activate.

AMSA still say no. This is an extract
If two-way communications are not available, then a distress beacon should be activated in situations of grave and imminent danger. This equates to when you feel you are facing a life threatening situation. This is a personal decision that is different for everybody.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwanderer » Wed 17 Jul, 2019 7:15 am

Xplora wrote:AMSA still say no. This is an extract
If two-way communications are not available, then a distress beacon should be activated in situations of grave and imminent danger. This equates to when you feel you are facing a life threatening situation. This is a personal decision that is different for everybody.

I have a feeling they were thinking more of activation at sea rather than land in the above paragraph. It is the Australian MARITIME safety authority https://beacons.amsa.gov.au/ despite the fact they have been given management for land based PLBs. The advice to wait until imminent danger is not practical when a delayed bushwalker is aware next of kin have called Police and a search has started. In this scenario delaying activaction leads to preventable searches costing $$$
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby north-north-west » Wed 17 Jul, 2019 7:53 am

When I set mine off near Eldon Bluff, I was not in any immediate danger - I was simply incapable of walking out, and with no prospect of sufficient recovery to walk out within a reasonable timeframe. If trying to self-rescue is going to do no more than exacerbate the situation and put your companions (if you have them) at risk, it is still the prudent thing to do.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby MrWalker » Wed 17 Jul, 2019 8:17 am

[quote="emma_melbourne"On the PLB front, I think a Garmin InReach mini is preferable because one can send a wide range of messages, such as pre-sets of "I'm fine but caught in bad weather and will be late", or whatever, as well as set of the emergency signal. They cost $475 Australian dollars including postage. (But do need a Garmin plan on top of that.)
See: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Garmin-inRe ... 3438101282 (no affiliate link or any investment in using this link)

Versus a regular PLB device without messaging ability is around $250-$300.

In this case, he'd become separated from his pack and the PLB device anyway, so it wouldn't have made a difference if he'd had a Garmin InReach mini or not.[/quote]

An Inreach or Spot would have been much better than a PLB in this situation. The rescuers could have gone straight to where his pack is. Then his tent was probably not too far away.
That is the big advantage of sending a signal at regular intervals, even if nothing is wrong. My family know that if my beacon shows I have not moved for a long time then I need rescuing whether or not I have pushed the SOS button.
MrWalker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby wildwanderer » Wed 17 Jul, 2019 8:51 am

ABC devotes article to importance of shelter in Tasmanian wilderness concentrates on huts while neglecting to mention people should carry tents : :shock:
https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019-07- ... y/11312476
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Gimped » Wed 17 Jul, 2019 11:30 am

Option 2 is the problem however, because they are going to initiate an air search in poor and dangerous conditions, and if they can,t fly, will attempt to walk in.
I don’t know the answer either!!
Gimped
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Wed 17 Jul, 2019 1:50 pm

For me it's always been...

Life threatening, yes (obviously). Snake bite, severe bleed/trauma, very sick etc. Judgement call around the "potential to become life threatening", probably err towards 'yes'.

Injured, maybe. If you can't walk out and if there is no other way of getting a message out (eg. if solo and no other forms of comms), yes. If immobile but comfortable/stable and someone can walk out and alert authorities (or obviously other means of comms), no. Pain might be a factor but sufficient pain management should be included in first aid kit. If mobile it depends on the extent of the mobility - no point nearly killing yourself trying to walk out on a broken leg (although I've walked out with sprained ankles many a time :) ).

Delayed, no. Even if folks back home have a 'window' I tell them that unless I trigger the PLB it's not an emergency. The risk/gap here is the ambiguity that would result if something were to happen rapidly enough to not be able to trigger the PLB but I make sure it's always close at hand. I get the argument that, if delayed, people back home would get SAR involved (I say not to do so unless > 3 days delayed) but I take a pragmatic approach that, under that circumstance, if I hear an aircraft I'll try and flag it down, obviously, but if it's looking in the wrong area then I'll trigger the PLB to make it easier. Not a perfect approach (and never had to test it!) but an attempt to balance safety with minimising the burden on SAR.
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stepbystep » Wed 17 Jul, 2019 2:26 pm

wildwanderer wrote:ABC devotes article to importance of shelter in Tasmanian wilderness concentrates on huts while neglecting to mention people should carry tents : :shock:
https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019-07- ... y/11312476

I mentioned this early this morning to the journalist involved, he has now added a line "those who have a fit-for-purpose tent or can find their way to one of a few huts that dot the landscape" . He, like 99% of the media are clueless as to what backcountry bushwalking is all about. The Tasmanian journalists I have heard report on this matter have made innumerable errors. It's very frustrating.
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wildwanderer » Wed 17 Jul, 2019 4:16 pm

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-17/ ... e/11317770

Lots more info released.

Amazing story of survival. Im curious which brand and model of tent he had.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Wed 17 Jul, 2019 5:07 pm

He sounds like an accident waiting to happen, doesn't he - loses the tripod (how?), puts down the pack to look for the tripod and then can't find the pack...They don't say whether he did eventually find the tripod, however.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby wildwanderer » Wed 17 Jul, 2019 6:44 pm

It's interesting that he had to cut a hole in the roof of the tent to get out.

My four season tent an old Macpac minaret has a double two way zip so the fly can can be opened from the top of the vestibule and I could crawl out if buried in snow.

But but my regular 3 season doesn't as far as I can recall (not home to check).

It's a feature I didn't realise the value of until now
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Warin » Wed 17 Jul, 2019 7:03 pm

Rather than cut a hole in the top of my shelter... I think I'd try to dismantle one end, get out that way trying to leave the tent intact.

Once whatever has made exiting the tent necessary is completed, then;
dig the snow away either completely or to the stage that the tent can be moved to a better place..

------------- It does sound like series of comical errors. There are those who maintain that the PLB/etc should be on your person at any time - pack on or off... looking at this I would tend to agree. But then I did break a rib on a camera in a fall so I am a bit cautious as to what I carry on my body that is a hard object.

You can get key rings that respond to a whistle, might be handy if you think you may have difficulty finding your pack - arr a few of them on ebay 5 metre range $2-$10 .. one of them even flashes (handy for the tent at night?).. search term "Key Finder Whistle".
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Thu 18 Jul, 2019 5:54 am

wildwanderer wrote:
Xplora wrote:AMSA still say no. This is an extract

I have a feeling they were thinking more of activation at sea rather than land in the above paragraph. It is the Australian MARITIME safety authority https://beacons.amsa.gov.au/ despite the fact they have been given management for land based PLBs. The advice to wait until imminent danger is not practical when a delayed bushwalker is aware next of kin have called Police and a search has started. In this scenario delaying activaction leads to preventable searches costing $$$

Just saying what AMSA says in response to the previous post but I don't read this as being solely maritime based advice. It is a personal decision and each person weighs up what they consider to be life threatening. For some it may be not being able to update their status on FB. I go too far. Just kidding. Authorities make decisions to search and that is their domain. In this particular instance, they knew where he was likely to be and could not get to him until the weather cleared. I know of a search in the Blue Mtns where the party had SMS contact and were overdue because of a minor injury. Information to this effect was relayed to Katoomba Police who then started a massive search and the group were called out for not having a PLB. Massive over-reaction and huge expense. Good training exercise though. The group walked out as planned. Every situation is different and if I owned a PLB then I would make up my own mind about when to set it off. Whatever is written on these pages would not alter my decision.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby peregrinator » Thu 18 Jul, 2019 1:04 pm

Xplora wrote:

". . . It is a personal decision and each person weighs up what they consider to be life threatening. For some it may be not being able to update their status on FB . . . Every situation is different and if I owned a PLB then I would make up my own mind about when to set it off. Whatever is written on these pages would not alter my decision."

I was similarly entrenched in my position until I read your comment on FB and realised that this frightening prospect might sway my decision.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby drakkar » Tue 23 Jul, 2019 7:31 pm

ChrisJHC wrote:Plus the reduction in “worry factor” for those at home.

This can also be a double edged sword. I started carrying one for mostly the same reason. I also do quite a bit of solo motorbike riding/touring.
Without the PLB i was very risk averse. With it, I have to constantly tell myself that it's not ok and it wont save me. psychology can be a funny thing.

My wife knows to give me 48hrs, we've discussed it. And while she is unhappy about it, it simply means I've been delayed.
More than a couple of days, I'll be down to rations on food, I'll either be very stuck and/or very geographically displaced. And I'll have had to set it off anyway.
I'm not a winter alpine guy though. So that may change my thinking.
drakkar
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Previous

Return to Bushwalking Discussion