Evidence of stupidity/lack of thought in the bush

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: Evidence of stupidity/lack of thought in the bush

Postby Petew » Thu 11 Jul, 2019 5:28 pm

So, a climbing ban is imminent because the rock is sacred and the custodians don't want people climbing it....quick let's go f##k it up while we still can...jeez.

On another note, the owner of the shot down drone seemed shocked that someone had an issue with them flying it.
Petew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Biggles » Fri 12 Jul, 2019 12:41 pm

peregrinator wrote:This mob of mindless morons (I can go anywhere I like and do any thing I like) takes the cake:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-10/uluru-climb-closure-breaking-point-overflow-tourists-waste/11296256
[url]

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-u ... f66c52e824[/url]

Yes, I saw that.
As a working resident of Alice, I see things out Uluru way that are unspeakable and infuriating, not just common arrogant tourist behaviour of "I came here to specifically climb Ayres Rock [inc., a very disrespectful reference to it], and I don't care what the natives say, I'm going to climb it!! [actual quote!]. Crapping by the roadside outside an open car door is the way to go. Nappies? No problem — just leave them there by the tree. Bulging rubbish bags are left there on the side of the road as the car leaves, and cigarette butts are afforded the same treatment, even full ashtrays are emptied onto the road at speed. Plastic bottles are summarily tossed out of windows (it beats me why NT Police aren't more active along the major highways to give these loons a well-deserved hit to the hip pocket) and abuse of indigenous Rangers (along the lines of the quote, above). There are certain places where people must not photograph Uluru, but try telling that to the determined, camera-toting, selfie-snapping Chinese, Spanish and Germans — they're going to do things their way. They should be belted.

I'm desperately saddened how indigenous people cop a lot of abuse from the plain bloody-minded arrogant tourists infesting Uluru (and Kata Tjuta). They hang around Alice telling all and sundry at the Hostel how "blacks telling us don't climb the rock -- f*ck 'em, I've come to do it and I will do it!. The end of October cannot come fast enough, but then there is the problem of policing Uluru to ensure that people get the message — no climbing means NO CLIMBING!. Sorry for the pun, but this is going to be an uphill battle and international tour operators and agents (Asia, Europe especially) have to get on board too to sound out the law after the climbing ban comes into effect.

People seem to think there is a café and toilets up on the top. They get there and find ... nil, zero, zilch, nada. So they find the nearest crack and fill it! Now imagine just what happens when Uluru gets a decent downpour. Yep, all that stuff gets washed down off the rock into the gullies and chasms. Karma will get them.

Chains and poles have been removed from Uluru (2 months ago) by the area management. That is a reminder of what is coming. And long after the tourists have gone, the scars of 50 years of traipsing over that monolith will forever remain.

PS: No, I have never climbed Uluru, nor have I photographed it, or Kata Tjuta.
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby wayno » Fri 12 Jul, 2019 12:48 pm

tongariro crossing, one cleanup yielded 8 bucket of rubbish and excrement... there's toilets at 5 different places along the 20km track...
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Rexyviney36 » Sat 13 Jul, 2019 7:33 am

Not necessarily out in the bush I guess but the thing that is really upsetting in the Central Highlands at the moment are the racist vandals spray painting “ban Islam” and “evil Islam” on the road signs and rocks. Someone, I’m guessing PWS will paint over it and then they’ll repaint their racist rants again. Been happening for a couple years now.
It’s tough explaining to a 6 year old why it keeps coming back.
Rexyviney36
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Gadgetgeek » Sat 13 Jul, 2019 8:37 am

Here in SEQ they just buy billboards.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby wayno » Sat 13 Jul, 2019 11:23 am

its ban 1080 getting painted all over the place in NZ
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby CBee » Sat 13 Jul, 2019 7:53 pm

Sounds like a "tourist blaming" thread.
CBee

Postby Gadgetgeek » Sun 14 Jul, 2019 8:34 am

CBee wrote:Sounds like a "tourist blaming" thread.

On a geological timescale, are all little but tourists? I hear what you are saying, the temptation is always to blame "someone else" for destruction. I often hear locals admit after a while that "they know better" and so what they are doing is leaving less impact than "the tourists" even though they are easily still causing problems. Am I guilty of the same? Perhaps.
Its also hard to "police" people you know. I've been out with folks who have done something that I think they should know better than to do, call them out and explain why what they are doing is destructive, and they don't really care. Of course that limits my involvement with them, but doesn't limit them from doing what they do out in the wilderness.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby CBee » Sun 14 Jul, 2019 8:40 pm

Don't know. I think, if you allow me to generalise, since it looks like we all generalise here, to be destructive is a human thing. So the main user group of a site is obviously the main responsible for destruction.
Since Uluru is frequented mainly by overseas tourists, here we can say these morons with no ethics are littering and disrespecting the place. Mainly chinese, japanese, koreans, germans, american, french and italians.
Then we can look at other areas. Like Mt. Warning in northern NSW or the camping area that is Rum Jungle on Mt. Barney. Crap all over the place. Main users: local australians.
Stuart Highway in NT, especially around Alice and Tennant Creek. side of the road littered with mountains of rubbish and cans: locals.
People=litter and destruction.
CBee

Postby north-north-west » Fri 19 Jul, 2019 8:46 am

d-68270 copy.jpg

This is a classic example of something that really pisses me off.

"Oh no, there's water/mud on the track. Can't walk through that - I'll just trample all this insignificant moss on the side."
Except the water is like, maybe an inch deep. A few metres of water isn't going to kill you whereas you've just done a brilliant job of killing the moss (or whatever).

The most annoying thing about this particular patch is that the last four people who went through - and yes, you can tell it was them from the freshness of the prints - had Goretex-lined boots good enough to keep their feet dry through the fog, snow and puddles one must wade through to get to Waterfall in the winter, yet they're still dodging this sort of thing.
You see it so often on the tourist tracks (and yeah, that includes the Overland), where people are so desperate to avoid the obvious small patches of water or mud that they walk through wetter or dirtier bits because they can't see how much easier the straight line is, and don't care about damage as long as they can convince themselves that they've contacted 1cmm less water or mud.

I can sympathise with a little bogdodging when the bogs in question are the over-the-knee, drag-you-in-and-hold-you-down-while-sucking-your-boot-off quagmires one encounters on the Farmhouse Creek or Junction Creek tracks, but the Overland is as tame as it gets (OK, except Freycinet or Maria). If you can't walk through an inch or two of water you shouldn't be there. [end of rant]
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby slparker » Fri 19 Jul, 2019 9:01 am

I share your disgust NNW - it’s vandalism.

My horror story is: some years ago I was on a touristy walk in the Blue Mountains, I forget which one but it’s a classic with steel ladders, waterfalls etc.

We were coming to a bend in the track and a harassed looking middle aged man bustled around the corner.

We proceed around the corner to find an fresh, inconveniently placed, sloppy turd in the middle of the track.

Ok he might have been caught short but for *&^%$# sake. Some people have no more sense than cattle.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Petew » Fri 19 Jul, 2019 10:37 am

There is no excuse for a track turd. Just disgusting...
Petew

Region: New South Wales

Postby Nuts » Fri 19 Jul, 2019 3:55 pm

hmm, yeah, that wins :shock: evidence of extreme laziness or selfishness?

north-north-west wrote:
d-68270 copy.jpg

and this is a perfect example of.. something.. we're worse than cats, dodge an inch of water over that conglomerate shelf only to trudge through 3" of mushed moss mud over the same.

The track retreats west in summer with the water.
Fuss over wet welts- In the good old days, just gone, you'd then not reach that treeline without a wet crotch!
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby trekker76 » Sun 21 Jul, 2019 11:13 pm

Worst stupidity here is tourists, usually foreign, getting themselves killed or injured being stupid in our waterways. They have closed off several world class waterfalls here due to this, which locals had previously enjoyed for 130 years. I'm not sure who is the stupidest though- the tourists or the idiots in the cities passing the laws.
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rexyviney36 » Tue 23 Jul, 2019 9:27 pm

north-north-west wrote:
d-68270 copy.jpg

This is a classic example of something that really pisses me off.

"Oh no, there's water/mud on the track. Can't walk through that - I'll just trample all this insignificant moss on the side."
Except the water is like, maybe an inch deep. A few metres of water isn't going to kill you whereas you've just done a brilliant job of killing the moss (or whatever).

The most annoying thing about this particular patch is that the last four people who went through - and yes, you can tell it was them from the freshness of the prints - had Goretex-lined boots good enough to keep their feet dry through the fog, snow and puddles one must wade through to get to Waterfall in the winter, yet they're still dodging this sort of thing.
You see it so often on the tourist tracks (and yeah, that includes the Overland), where people are so desperate to avoid the obvious small patches of water or mud that they walk through wetter or dirtier bits because they can't see how much easier the straight line is, and don't care about damage as long as they can convince themselves that they've contacted 1cmm less water or mud.

I can sympathise with a little bogdodging when the bogs in question are the over-the-knee, drag-you-in-and-hold-you-down-while-sucking-your-boot-off quagmires one encounters on the Farmhouse Creek or Junction Creek tracks, but the Overland is as tame as it gets (OK, except Freycinet or Maria). If you can't walk through an inch or two of water you shouldn't be there. [end of rant]

On the OT last year we met a couple lads who bored everyone poo... talking about how awesome their trail runners were.
I saw them on the way back from one of the waterfalls the next day actively widening the track so they didn't step in some small puddles of mud/water.
Next stop, same monologues about how awesome their trail runners were, until an older gent called them out for dodging puddles and a few people gave them curry for ten mins about it.
Didn't see them at the next stop...
Rexyviney36
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Previous

Return to Bushwalking Discussion