Planning a Walk

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Planning a Walk

Postby solohiker » Mon 25 Mar, 2019 7:04 am

I’m well into planning the details of this year’s winter walks (my favourite time of year for getting out there) and I thought I’d share my thought process and a few of the tools I use to plan a walk (see link below to my blog post).
I’m curious as to what others do differently. I seem to be constantly planning whenever I’m on the train or have five minutes to myself!
https://solohiker.blog/2019/03/22/planning-a-walk/
I love blogging about my adventures. Please feel free to take a look https://solohikerblog.wordpress.com/
solohiker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australia

Re: Planning a Walk

Postby north-north-west » Mon 25 Mar, 2019 11:14 am

Plan? I seldom go beyond having a quick squizz at the maps - mapping out a rough route on the GPS for some of the trickier ones - and hoping I get back alive. Spontaneity rules!!!
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby solohiker » Mon 25 Mar, 2019 12:07 pm

Ha! Yeah I don’t overplan for simple walks but I do at least like to plan the time as I often like to push it.
I’m also looking at bring others along from a local community group so I want to be able to clearly tell them what to expect.
I love blogging about my adventures. Please feel free to take a look https://solohikerblog.wordpress.com/
solohiker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Huntsman247 » Tue 26 Mar, 2019 8:50 am

That planning is... Um... Thorough...
Lol. I'll plan for longer trips by just looking at a map and figuring out where we might get water and find some spots to camp near water and if not where would we need to get water from. Imagining what the possibility of what the contours might look like in life.
After figuring out how to get there and how to get picked up. I would then give the plan details to a friend whom I explicitly tell not to worry if we're a day late.
The plans just that. It's a plan and I won't nessesarily stick to it. Could be a lot of factors for skipping a section or going an alternate route.
These days with a plb I can't see what the big thing is.
If it gets dark before intended camp. Find a new one so you don't have to in the dark.
That's probably as far as my planning goes.
Huntsman247
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby michael_p » Tue 26 Mar, 2019 9:33 am

Good blog post solohiker.

Pretty similar to what I do when planning a walk especially if doing an exploratory or off-track walk. I have found much greater success from doing my homework before heading out than not. I rarely create a full route for a walk, instead I prefer to create target waypoints and leave the actual "routing" to be done on the day. I always like to think that it is the journey just as much as the destination.

Can I add a couple of things:
1. Google image search. So many people upload images to the web these days. I often find pictures of a walk that can be very helpful for getting an idea of vegetation, track conditions or views along the route.
2. Youtube. As above.

Cheers,
Michael.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby solohiker » Sat 30 Mar, 2019 10:13 am

I have to say that I don't sit there ticking off each step. Rather I tend to spend most of my train trip to work researching trails.
I definitely check weather and fire before leaving - no point in goingall that way if there is a gale or a planned burn.

I too look at google earth images occasionally for the off track bits - often see a well travelled footpad that makes the whole thing easier.
solohiker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby wildwanderer » Sat 30 Mar, 2019 10:21 am

I have to admit im a planner! :)

- research route online
- plot anticipated route or waypoints depending on type of walk using online mapping software.
- import into sunnto gps watch and oruxmaps (mobile phone)
- Screenshot overview map and rough plan and then send to emergency contacts.
- check weather, park closures, hazard reduction/bushfire situation.
- take PLB (day/overnight walks) or take inreach mini (multiday walks in NZ or Snowys etc)

I find the plotting of the route and research adds to my overall enjoyment plus I become more familar with the terrain by studying the map togography/contours.

I don t typically mark emergency evac points etc although I will mentally note them as I plot the route.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ofuros » Sat 30 Mar, 2019 1:51 pm

I look for interesting features( to me) on Topo's...imagining razorbacks, gorges, waterfalls, ridges with a possible gentle sunset/sunrise lighting up a peak or down a valley etc etc.

Find various access points, try to make it into a circuit if i can.
Google any related info, email ranger for local info if its over private property.

Leave walk info under magnetic strip on the fridge door for my wife & go explore. PLB in pack.
Some trips are do-able, some aren't. :wink:
But they're always an adventure. 8)

I'm not a peak bagger...l'm a view finder. :D
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby solohiker » Wed 03 Apr, 2019 4:51 pm

I like that. View finder not a peak bagger.
I think I’m the same. I want a reward but it doesn’t have to be the highest point.
solohiker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Bushwalking Discussion