Solo Walking

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Solo Walking

Postby Canuck Trekker » Fri 30 Nov, 2007 6:14 pm

I'm considering doing the Overland Track later this year, but am travelling by myself. For those of you who have done this walk, or similar treks, do you think it's sensible to head out on my own? I am quite fit and have extensive experience in the outdoors in terms of skill and first aid, but have never done a bushwalking trip such as this.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Canuck Trekker
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 30 Nov, 2007 7:30 pm

If you're unfamiliar with walking in Tasmania, I'd advise against going alone, but hanging around these forums is one way to become somewhat more familiar :). It's a safe walk as far as Tasmania goes if you stick to the main track, but you have to be prepared for all sorts of weather here at any time of year (ie, we do get snow storms in summer in the highlands, although, I'm sure Canadians are a lot more used to snow that we are).

One important thing that a lot of people don't realise is that the huts along the track are VERY rudimentary. Just plain shared bunks and tables, and often a heater (that sometimes does very little). That's it. You have to be prepared for the huts to be full too, and therefore be fully self-sufficient in everything.

Have a look at this topic in our equipment forum. You really need all that stuff even for the overland track, even in summer, even if planning to stay in huts.

Also check out this topic, with regards to walking and taking safety seriously. If all that makes sense to you, then you'll probably get a good idea of walking in Tasmania. If you take all the right precautions, walking the Overland Track solo is fine (you won't often be alone, in any case, on that track).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Re: Solo Walking

Postby sarge » Wed 05 Dec, 2007 9:31 am

My husband has just had knee surgery and may or may not be better in time to walk the track with me in early Jan so I may be in a similar situation, faced with the possiblity of walking solo.

I agree that good gear and experience is definately required to walk by yourself. I would not hesitate walking the overland track solo because I am familiar with the track although I probably would not attempt any of the off track walks by myself. Summer is usually full capacity and you run into people on the main track frequently.

Also as a female I probably would hesitate to stay in the cabins and opt for tenting it - some of the cabins are a bit cosy for my liking and lack privacy.
sarge
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Re: Solo walking

Postby tasadam » Wed 05 Dec, 2007 11:14 am

Son of a Beach wrote:It's a very safe walk as far as Tasmania goes if you stick to the main track....

I thought I would emphasise this point - that is, "as far as Tasmania goes". That is a significant comment that many seem to overlook - Tasmania. Tasmanian conditions, Tasmanian terrain, weather, mud (though limited on the Overland track), leeches, snakes, risk of giardia (google it or look on this page), etc etc.
As has been mentioned, you get a fair amount of people on the overland track through the peak season. Parks limit the daily starters to I think 65, including organized tours. But if I were contemplating this walk alone, the forefront of my mind would be occupied by the thought that you are a long way from help out there if you need it. As I said in my Taking safety seriously link above,
At the outset, you need to be aware of one simple fact - it is you and solely you, that is responsible for your safety.
You cannot rely on other people being there if you need them.
Have I done remote solo walks? Yes. When I was younger, somewhat fitter, and perhaps somewhat more naive or less wise than I am now. I am still fairly fit and not quite middle aged but would much prefer to walk in Tasmania with someone, having experienced some of what can be thrown at you.

As for the overland track, if you cannot find someone to walk with, hang about at the visitor centre or the start of the walk and see if you can find a group that doesn't mind you tagging along for the safety aspect. Have a talk with the rangers there and see what they suggest, possibly phone them up and see what they say. That could be a good idea - be interested to hear the results. Maybe advertise in the "find walking companions" section of this forum.
But if you are interested in solo walking for your own reasons, well that is up to you and of course I wish you well. My biggest concern for you is in one comment you made -
Canuck Trekker wrote:but have never done a bushwalking trip such as this.
It would therefore be difficult for you to know what you are getting into I think.
Geez I am beating around the bush a lot. Trying not to turn you off and all but trying to say what I think...
Bluntly, what I mean is in my view, if you want to give it a go or because you want to be alone or have no other choice (nobody to walk with), that's your choice and I can't stop you... But I would advise against it until you know with a little more certainty whether you are capable. Not trying to offend or anything, just offer my opinion to your question and I hope it helps.
Cheers!
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Penguin » Thu 06 Dec, 2007 9:13 pm

I feel that I agree with sarge.

Having walked quite a few tracks and off track in Tassie over the last six or seven years I have always been staggered by the number of poorly equipped solo bush walkers we have come across. The most memorable one was a German lad we found in the Never Never. He had been wandering around for a couple of days with no idea where he was and was running out of food. Fortunately the weather was kind.

The Overland Track in peak season is a different matter. Lots of people about. Well defined track. Volunteer hut parents at Waterfall Valley. ETC. You need to be fit. You need to have good cold weather gear - even in the middle of summer; there are great lists of stuff to take on the site. I am not a hut fan (like sarge) so would take a single person tent. Given the above, the risk is minimal.

While hanging around old new Peleon a few years ago we came across a chap who had done is medial ligament. He could not walk. People went to get help. He had enough food for four days. I did give him some serious pain killers. But he was safe, and help was not that far away.

If you can buddy up it does make the trip a bit more enjoyable and gives you some reassurance.

As Tasadam writes you are responsible for your own safety, you must be educated and prepared. But of all the Tasmanian walks the Overland Track in summer would be amongst the safest, if not the safest, to do solo.
Penguin
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby corvus » Fri 07 Dec, 2007 7:21 pm

G'day canuck trekker,
Having walked the overland (all the way) six or seven times and using easy access routs to selected parts of the track for years, I feel qualified to offer this advice .
You need moderate fitness good gear a positive attitude and willingness to pair up with somone on the track.
At the the first Hut get the warden (if there) to check your pack adjustment and dont listen to advice from co walkers doing it for the first time .
Ensure you have a tent or bivvybag or be prepared to sleep on the floor of huts .
Dont do side tips on your own go with the friends you have made (I still keep contact with overlanders from years ago )
Keep hydrated by ensuring your water bottle is replenished regularly from good creek/river flows .
Be ready for complete changes in weather Sun ,Rain and Snow all in one day in Summer(I kid you not) been there etc.
If you a hiering gear ensure you know how it works B4 you leave .
Keep you food simple and if you can afford them the commercial back packing "just add boiling water" meals are convienient , sustaining and light.
A trade secret dont take a toilet roll ,a six pack of kleenex 4ply 9 to a pack 21x21 tissues will ensure you dont get soggy useless TP and they can be distibuted throughout your pack (an an excellent addition would be Kleenex flushable wipes) also dont be conned into an orange plastic dunny tool they are useless ,for the same cost buy a large snow tent peg.
Finally take on board all of the good suggestions and comments from fellow members on trhis site they are experienced, but most of all enjoy your Overland Track experience it can be and has been done "Solo"
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby wayno1007 » Thu 20 Dec, 2007 11:15 am

Yeh, go for it.
You won't be lonely on that walk.
I am about to solo (well me and the 406 EPIRB) the Frankland and Wilmot Ranges. My bush Christmas.
I find I can connect with the wilderness better than when someone else is along. I rarely walk on my own but are not afraid to make a plan, invite others and go with or without company. Last weekend I led a trip with 9 people all up. Lifes too short to wait for someone to share an adventure
Just got to take all you need and you have no one to share the load of stove, fuel, tent, 1st aid kit, food, etc.
wayno1007
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Bushwalking Discussion