Going to the Movies, Hiking Movie

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: Going to the Movies, Hiking Movie

Postby vicrev » Fri 25 Sep, 2015 7:07 pm

Mmmm...saw Walk in the Woods last night....out of five,I would give it two,story line was so so,scenery ordinary,makes me wonder what the reaction would be if the film was shot in Tassie,with the same storyline & people?...the unique scenery would probably overshadow everything,have a look what Lord of the Rings did for our neighbours across the ditch...... :)
vicrev
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby Wollemi » Tue 27 Aug, 2019 10:09 am

Have been to see 'Camino Skies', at Glenbrook cinema.
A documentary with sensitive queries put to a handful of older New Zealanders and Australians dealing with grief.

There is no narration (other than said rarely-asked questions - and we do not see the interviewer), and three delightful landscapes shown at the beginning, though valid, are unlike the movie focus. We are reminded that vistas and lively (or quiet) village squares are sometimes hard won, not just by walking 800 kilometres in your seventh decade with bodily-distorting arthritis, but by not querying why you are trudging alongside a highway or upon a muddy road.
Live everyday as if it were your last... one day you will be right.
Wollemi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Eremophila » Wed 28 Aug, 2019 1:36 pm

I did enjoy Camino Skies, perhaps a little disappointing, but did appreciate the fact that it wasn't overly "dressed up". Just seemed to be lacking something. Take my hat off to Sue, however.

No mention of difficulties getting a bed, or the crowds - I got the impression they started pretty early in the season.

I did enjoy the Gutsy Girls Adventure Film Tour, whilst there were a few fairly predictable items, the last film "Divided" was an absolute winner. Crack-up laughing.
Eremophila

Region: Victoria

Postby Lindsay » Wed 28 Aug, 2019 10:04 pm

I must see Camino Skies. I walked the Camino Frances in April/May this year. It isn't a wilderness walk by any means, although there are some remote sections. It was the spiritual aspect of walking with no other priorities that made it so special for me. Even the walking through industrial areas and alongside highways was part of the experience, plus the people I met on the way. Planning to go again next year on a different Camino, maybe the Portuguese. :D
Lindsay

Region: New South Wales

Postby Mark F » Wed 28 Aug, 2019 10:23 pm

Lindsay wrote: It was the spiritual aspect of walking with no other priorities that made it so special for me.

It doesn't require a pilgrimage route. I have found most of my long distance walks quite spiritual, usually enhanced by the solitude unlike the few km of the camino (where the camino crosses the Pyrenees above St Jean Pierre de Port) I walked as part of the hrp. It was more akin to a rather surreal circus than a spiritual experience. I feel it is the way long walks focus one on the what lies ahead over the day or even the next hour and the reliance on what is on your back - all else tends to recede into irrelevance.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Previous

Return to Bushwalking Discussion