Things you hate, dislike or annoy you when camping/bushwalki

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: Things you hate, dislike or annoy you when camping/bushw

Postby Tortoise » Mon 01 Jun, 2015 6:07 pm

Just saw your latest, NNW. :shock: Very glad you're ok.

+1 for seatbelts. A younger member of my family would still have usable legs if he'd been wearing one.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby north-north-west » Mon 01 Jun, 2015 6:31 pm

Zone-5 wrote:
north-north-west wrote:...once it was removed from the rocks it landed on.

ROCKS! So this was not just a roll over but involved skydiving as well! :shock:

Just a low rock wall on the other side of the gutter that I think caused the roll. Not entirely sure. The exact sequence of events is hard to nail down because it goes so quickly and you're just desperately trying to get control of the vehicle while it's going on.
Maybe I should have had the GoPro set up and filming at the time. That would have produced some fascinating footage.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Hallu » Mon 01 Jun, 2015 6:41 pm

Got back to the French Alps after 3 weeks in South West USA. Funny how in the US hikers are mostly slow, and how they consider a 600 m elevation walk as "difficult" (Observation Point in Zion NP for example). Got back to France, did a 700 m elevation gain walk that was classified as easy (which it was), and almost everybody was faster than me, some crazy *&%$#! even running up the mountain. Although funny to see those people such in a rush to finish the walk, it's quite annoying. First it puts pressure on you ("am I so out of shape ?") and second it makes you realize those people barely appreciate the scenery, they just go for the physical challenge ("how fast was I ? I should post my time on my hiking forum").
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby vicrev » Mon 01 Jun, 2015 8:22 pm

Worse still when they are 80+ & flying past you uphill with full packs....... :shock:
vicrev
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby Hallu » Mon 01 Jun, 2015 9:57 pm

Yeah I saw an old bloke in tights running up the hill carrying water bottles and food for an event they were doing at the top. But to balance it out I also saw two young guys camping on the edge of the cliffs, probably juste enjoying sunrise and sunset so it's not all bad. Sometimes I rush when as a tourist I know I only have a limited window of good weather to see some stuff, but when you're a local as most of these fast hikers are, I really don't get the point. Looks like the fast hiking mentallity hasn't spread to the US or Australia yet, but in France and Italy it's common. Some popular walks feel more like track & field in midday than a nice get-away into nature, so I just start early, between 7 and 8 am. I miss good ol' Australia where at any time of the day you just walk 500 m away from the barbies and tents and you're completely alone.
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby AlexB » Wed 03 Jun, 2015 8:57 pm

In another thread somewhere (I think one of the ones about track vs trail and other terminology -- ah yes this one viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16793&p=223960&hilit=randonn%C3%A9e#p223960) someone said that the French term for hiking, "randonnée", also means "running enthusiastically". That probably explains a lot!

Things that annoy me while bushwalking: text messages. I need to get better about turning my phone ringer OFF, otherwise I get sucked into chatting with my friends (some of whom are overseas and we keep in touch with mostly via text) rather than appreciating the walk. Of course I don't hate my friends for contacting me, but I do kind of hate myself for my lack of willpower with the electronics :-/
AlexB
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby hobbitle » Wed 03 Jun, 2015 10:17 pm

Just turn your phone off? Hopefully you're only ever alone when you do this... If someone in my hiking party was walking with their phone the whole time id be pretty peeved!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hobbitle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Hallu » Wed 03 Jun, 2015 10:18 pm

Yeah that was me, the root of randonnée is "rand" which apparently is old germanic that ultimately gave the word "run".

Regarding texting : I don't think I've encountered many bushwalking places in Australia where you can get enough signal to actual chat or text. Even in places not so far from Melbourne like Cathedral Ranges or Lerderderg I wouldn't get a signal. I got one at Mutawintji a couple of hours outside Broken Hills though, which is about as remote as it gets, ironic.
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Strider » Wed 03 Jun, 2015 10:25 pm

hobbitle wrote:Just turn your phone off? Hopefully you're only ever alone when you do this... If someone in my hiking party was walking with their phone the whole time id be pretty peeved!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should try worrying about yourself more, and about others less. We all have different priorities.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby AlexB » Wed 03 Jun, 2015 11:53 pm

I'm working on detaching myself :) a long history of overwork which I'm trying to cure (in part by getting out in the fresh air)! And yes, I'm walking alone! I just need to train myself to turn the damn thing off earlier, before I get "reminded", so I can save myself the awkwardness of trying to kick myself!
AlexB
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 04 Jun, 2015 3:43 am

Strider wrote:You should try worrying about yourself more, and about others less. We all have different priorities.

Well said. Older walkers will recall days when mobile phones, PLB, GPSs and other electronic items did not exist. Somehow we managed. I go to wild places to get away from it all. A tip. Put the mobile phone in a small crush-proof box, seal it, then bury it in the pack. In general, unless there's an emergency the phone stays sealed and buried. I don't want to have constant interruptions on trips. The only non-emergency time a mobile phone is used on trips is when I'm away for more than a few days. Find a high point, and if there's reception send a short text: on Mt X, weather fine, bye. People at home know that I'll be mostly out of range.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby DanShell » Thu 04 Jun, 2015 10:26 am

Im most likely going to get shot down for saying this but I like having reception! Nothing better when on your own than being able to lay in my tent and catch up on the world via social media imho :) And no Im not being sarcastic, I do actually like being in touch with home.
The older my parents get and the fact that my kids all drive cars is another reason I like to have reception as much as possible on a walk. In fact every time I go to a remote place for holidays where I don't get reception for days, I get very anxious until I have been able to check into home and make sure everything is ok. Perhaps I have some sort of syndrome?? ;)
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby vicrev » Thu 04 Jun, 2015 10:41 am

DanShell wrote:Im most likely going to get shot down for saying this but I like having reception! Nothing better when on your own than being able to lay in my tent and catch up on the world via social media imho :) And no Im not being sarcastic, I do actually like being in touch with home.
The older my parents get and the fact that my kids all drive cars is another reason I like to have reception as much as possible on a walk. In fact every time I go to a remote place for holidays where I don't get reception for days, I get very anxious until I have been able to check into home and make sure everything is ok. Perhaps I have some sort of syndrome?? ;)
Don't worry DanShell,You are not alone ,I must have the same syndrome. :D....Family is so important to me,I like to know If everything is ok & let them know I am...probably sounds strange in this me,me, only me, world.......
vicrev

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 04 Jun, 2015 11:09 am

DanShell wrote:Im most likely going to get shot down for saying this ... I get very anxious until I have been able to check into home and make sure everything is ok. Perhaps I have some sort of syndrome?? ;)

Dan, no shooting from here at all. Your reasons are very understandable and acceptable. My version towards some technology is based on those that see the technology as a need, an important part of the trip, must have to stay in touch, making many phone calls. Your approach is more nuanced. But note the shift in thinking. Before mobile phones, most people went away and did not need to keep in touch. Now that the capacity to keep in touch exists the need to do so has followed. I elect not to bother, and in some places comms are simply impossible. I have faith in those at home and emergency services.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby north-north-west » Thu 04 Jun, 2015 11:19 am

I don't really care. It's useful at times and, like Lophophaps, I carry a phone (mostly) but keep it glad-bagged and buried somewhere safe. As I spend so much time solo and off-track other people using the things doesn't intrude on my peace of mind.

Mind you, I hate those TV adds that show the family out camping and spending the evening in the tent playing with their smartphones. In perfect weather, yat . . . :roll:
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby beean » Thu 04 Jun, 2015 12:30 pm

Hallu wrote:Got back to the French Alps after 3 weeks in South West USA. Funny how in the US hikers are mostly slow, and how they consider a 600 m elevation walk as "difficult" (Observation Point in Zion NP for example). Got back to France, did a 700 m elevation gain walk that was classified as easy (which it was), and almost everybody was faster than me, some crazy *&%$#! even running up the mountain. Although funny to see those people such in a rush to finish the walk, it's quite annoying. First it puts pressure on you ("am I so out of shape ?") and second it makes you realize those people barely appreciate the scenery, they just go for the physical challenge ("how fast was I ? I should post my time on my hiking forum").

This annoys me too. When I get back from trips the first question asked by friends is usually "How long did it take you?" rather than "How was it?"

Granted, moving fast is important sometimes, especially in the mountains, but when people start condensing a two day trip into a one day sufferfest I tend to raise an eyebrow.
beean
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Kainas » Thu 04 Jun, 2015 2:26 pm

north-north-west wrote:
walk2wineries wrote:Directions that say "after 10 minutes turn left." WHOSE 10 minutes? These sorts of directions will almost always call both 100m flat and 500m uphill "five minutes."

Ah yes. My pet hate with guidebooks and signs. Why do they insist on giving times instead of distances?

20081219-20081219-IMG_3754.jpg
20081219-20081219-IMG_3754.jpg (162.07 KiB) Viewed 30551 times

This sign placed 10m in front of the Martins Bay Hut - not even out of eye-sight of the hut.
Kainas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 05 Jun, 2015 9:18 am

beean wrote:This annoys me too. When I get back from trips the first question asked by friends is usually "How long did it take you?" rather than "How was it?"

Granted, moving fast is important sometimes, especially in the mountains, but when people start condensing a two day trip into a one day sufferfest I tend to raise an eyebrow.

Agreed. Some go slow, some leave scorch marks. It's the overall expereince that counts, not the overall time or time to get from A to B. Maybe there should be a sign in front of the above sign saying "Information sign one second".
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Mitchc » Sat 27 Jun, 2015 9:37 am

I hate having fantastic weather, a packed bag, a weekend with no study or work, a girlfriend on the other side of the world, but you still can't get out in the bush :( :|
Mitchc
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Zone-5 » Sat 27 Jun, 2015 12:55 pm

north-north-west wrote:I hate those TV adds that show the family out camping and spending the evening in the tent playing with their smartphones.

I somewhat agree but then again as a kid I spent most of my camp evenings listening to the bounty of 'short-wave stations' available in the bush. A little luxury never hurt anyone...

8)
... moved to another forum @ 10/10/2015
Zone-5

Region: Australia

Postby cajun » Fri 03 Jul, 2015 9:49 am

Earlier in this thread I suggested I was annoyed by the plethora of white tissues discarded. After spending some time in the USA / Canada it appears to be not just an Aust problem, although I also saw a soiled white sock in Canada!
And he sees the vision splendid of the sunlit plains extended,
And at night the wondrous glory of the everlasting stars.
cajun
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Zone-5 » Fri 28 Aug, 2015 12:06 am

cajun wrote:I also saw a soiled white sock in Canada!

...what happens when you run out of white tissues! :idea:
Zone-5

Region: Australia

Postby bunny » Sun 30 Aug, 2015 11:38 am

Your camp mates snoring so loud you have to sleep 30 metres away!!
bunny
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby walkerchris77 » Sun 30 Aug, 2015 12:07 pm

I guess if you find someone with lots of blisters on one foot u could return the soiled sock to them.
walkerchris77

Postby Mechanic-AL » Sun 30 Aug, 2015 12:27 pm

Un-packing and cleaning gear at the end of an enjoyable trip.
Sometimes certain elements of this task have been know to occur just prior to the next outing months later :oops: :oops:

AL
"What went ye out into the wilderness to see?
A reed shaken in the wind"?
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby dingelberry » Mon 31 Aug, 2015 7:03 am

Yeh I agree Mechanic -AL . Who hasn't thought I know all I have to do is stuff it in my pack and sort it out later ? Sometimes later is a fair way off.
dingelberry
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: n/a

Postby north-north-west » Mon 31 Aug, 2015 8:08 am

That's another advantage to walking in bad weather - everything comes back so wet and dirty you have to sort it out straight away.

Which means what I really hate is the 'dirty, wet gear' smell that permeates the place while I'm drying out things that can't be hung outdoors 'cause it's still raining.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby horsecat » Mon 31 Aug, 2015 3:32 pm

When you need to crawl on your hand and knees to get out of the bush :( :evil: :roll:
horsecat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Mon 31 Aug, 2015 5:33 pm

horsecat wrote:When you need to crawl on your hand and knees to get out of the bush :( :evil: :roll:

And the snowdrifts are knee deep.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zone-5 » Mon 31 Aug, 2015 6:01 pm

ants!
Zone-5