Things you hate, dislike or annoy you when camping/bushwalki

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: Things you hate, dislike or annoy you when camping/bushw

Postby perfectlydark » Wed 16 Jul, 2014 5:46 am

Ouch...jad a bite on my knee years ago and that was bad enough
perfectlydark
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 16 Jul, 2014 7:25 am

Bull ants have an excessive sense of self-worth. Nasty thing!
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 16 Jul, 2014 11:58 am

walkerchris77 wrote:Bull ants!!!!! One got me on my left berry once. Ouch.... how can something so small hurt so much. (Im referring to the bull ant. Not my berries).

Oh, dear. Did you rub the afflicted part, or was that the job of the party first aider? If I was so bitten I'd be bawling.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby walkerchris77 » Wed 16 Jul, 2014 1:01 pm

I was solo so had to do my own first aid. Which involved pulling off all my bottom clothing as fast as I could so the little fella would stop his mission of inflicting pain.

The other campers in the ground were laughing big time.
When I told them what had happened they offered me a beer. Not sure if it was for the bite area or to drink. I drunk it.

I now have more respect for ants.
walkerchris77

Postby Travis22 » Wed 16 Jul, 2014 3:05 pm

Pretty incredible the pain one can experience from an ant bite for sure!

But being bitten down there... Eeeeeek that's a whole new level of hurt I bet.

Travis.
Travis22

Postby north-north-west » Wed 16 Jul, 2014 3:45 pm

I'm sure most of the pain from that was psychological. though none the less real.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby perfectlydark » Sun 26 Oct, 2014 11:50 am

Bogans that rock up at 10pm drunk off their nut trying to pick fights with other campers
perfectlydark

Postby Jaala » Tue 28 Oct, 2014 11:54 am

I don't like it, as someone who is mostly solo, encountering people and groups in the bush who do the following;

Insist on teaming up
Insist on making camp at my camp
Insist on comparing gear

Don't.
Jaala
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby north-north-west » Tue 28 Oct, 2014 5:17 pm

Jaala wrote:I don't like it, as someone who is mostly solo, encountering people and groups in the bush who do the following;

Insist on teaming up
Insist on making camp at my camp
Insist on comparing gear

Don't.

Soulmates! (but I will not ever even think about considering asking for a meet-up, in the bush or elsewhere.)
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby perfectlydark » Wed 29 Oct, 2014 5:00 am

Haha introverts unite! Actually lets not
perfectlydark

Postby mikethepike » Sat 01 Nov, 2014 8:57 pm

People calling out "Elevenses!" at 10.50 AM when there is a serious amount of walking to be done.
mikethepike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby dingelberry » Thu 11 Dec, 2014 6:26 am

I go bush to get away from the rat race .Its getting harder and harder to find that empty , peaceful place .
So groups that take over any spot spread out for miles then make as much noise as possible ( to keep away all those deadly animals that prowl our bush night )
Sometimes people should just sit and listen ah the serenity.
dingelberry
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: n/a

Postby walkerchris77 » Sat 13 Dec, 2014 6:42 am

Sitting down to rest when all of a sudden you realise the ground is moving. ANTS !,,!
walkerchris77

Postby neilmny » Sat 13 Dec, 2014 9:35 am

walkerchris77 wrote:Sitting down to rest when all of a sudden you realise the ground is moving. ANTS !,,!

Hmmm .......had that one happen a couple of weeks ago. Almost back to the car just a couple of K's to go sat down on a rock to enjoy the view a while..............lasted about 30 seconds, those little buggers are fast!
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ElvenCraft Gear » Sat 13 Dec, 2014 4:51 pm

forest wrote:Pet hate !!!
I'm a pretty friendly fella. Why when I say hello or other greating pleasantry to someone in the middle the bush is it ignored while they walk past viewing there feet, often when I've stepped aside to let them past. Doesn't happen often but anoy's the crap out of me when it does. Just common manners isn't it to acknowledge another human being.
It's not like I'm standing on the train saying hi to every random person. We are out enjoying the outdoors, often many many miles from anyone else.

Gotta say this is my pet hate also.
Being from a small town, grew up thinking it was rather rude not to say "g'day" to everyone you see. (the index finger still lifts off the steering wheel by itself when passing by other cars)
So when you say "g'day" to someone it's almost an insult when they don't answer.
To appease my inner bumpkin, I now assume anyone who doesn't answer a "g'day" is - deaf, mentally disadvantaged, or doesn't speak english.
This is easily remedied by getting in their face, and saying very loudly and slowly "G'DAY - 'OW YA GOIN ?" :twisted:
Seems there must be a lot of deaf, mentally challenged, non english speaking people out there, because they all seem to be able to answer when I do this.

Nice to know they weren't being rude after all - poor buggers. :wink:
The most valuable items in your hiking kit are knowledge, experience, and improvisation.
Everything else is luxury.
ElvenCraft Gear
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Elvencraft Wilderness Gear

Postby ElvenCraft Gear » Sat 13 Dec, 2014 5:23 pm

Oh yeah - bushwalkers/campers who are tech-addicts and think everyone else wants to hear their music and see their iphone photos of grandma's cat/dog/bird/operation scars etc.
You usually meet these people when their GPS goes flat and they realise they can't work a compass or read a map (even if they had one)
Takes you all your energies to convince them that they are not going to die without technology, because they are usually clinging desperately to the EPIRB as the last remaining hope of surviving the terrifying ordeal of walking 2km back to the carpark.
The most valuable items in your hiking kit are knowledge, experience, and improvisation.
Everything else is luxury.
ElvenCraft Gear
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Elvencraft Wilderness Gear

Postby vicrev » Sat 13 Dec, 2014 7:32 pm

I met an experienced idiot & bushwalker,argued & went on & on that I don't need to carry map & compass,to"get with it",ONLY carry an Iphone, with a map thingy,that is one of the reasons I prefer to walk solo,not having to listen to fools droning on about their latest gear & bushwalking skills .........
vicrev

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 15 Dec, 2014 8:37 am

vicrev wrote:I met an experienced idiot & bushwalker,argued & went on & on that I don't need to carry map & compass,to"get with it",ONLY carry an Iphone, with a map thingy,that is one of the reasons I prefer to walk solo,not having to listen to fools droning on about their latest gear & bushwalking skills .........

Ye gods and little fishes, is this dweeb insane? Technology is wonderful, but to have total reliance on just one piece of technology defies belief. On extended trips I always have a set of photocopies of crucial sections of maps in case the real map dies. Then there's a good compass, a lot of experience, and hopefully good judgement.

Also, if said dweeb wants to carry just a phone for navigation, that is his choice. I see no need to rabbit on about the wisdom of this, trying to convince you. A better and more polite discussion is to assess the level of experience of the other person and pitch the advice to suit. What happened to courtesy?
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby vicrev » Mon 15 Dec, 2014 9:29 am

Lophophaps wrote:
vicrev wrote:I met an experienced idiot & bushwalker,argued & went on & on that I don't need to carry map & compass,to"get with it",ONLY carry an Iphone, with a map thingy,that is one of the reasons I prefer to walk solo,not having to listen to fools droning on about their latest gear & bushwalking skills .........

Ye gods and little fishes, is this dweeb insane? Technology is wonderful, but to have total reliance on just one piece of technology defies belief. On extended trips I always have a set of photocopies of crucial sections of maps in case the real map dies. Then there's a good compass, a lot of experience, and hopefully good judgement.

Also, if said dweeb wants to carry just a phone for navigation, that is his choice. I see no need to rabbit on about the wisdom of this, trying to convince you. A better and more polite discussion is to assess the level of experience of the other person and pitch the advice to suit. What happened to courtesy?
I will also add.I always carry a back up, In everything ,map & compass,Gps etc. etc. sometimes on the verge of overkill,that fool wasn't the only walking disaster I have met,there have been lots over the years..........
vicrev

Postby pazzar » Mon 15 Dec, 2014 8:51 pm

People who carry closed cell foam mats on the outside of their pack on narrow tracks. I ended up carrying what seemed like a whole mattress out of the Southern Ranges.
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 16 Dec, 2014 8:44 am

vicrev wrote:I will also add.I always carry a back up, In everything ,map & compass,Gps etc. etc. sometimes on the verge of overkill,that fool wasn't the only walking disaster I have met,there have been lots over the years..........

I have spare matches, a toothbrush and a spoon, along with a variety of other spare items. The weight is unfortunate; not having a toothbrush for a week is worse. My compass lives around my neck, never lost in 34 years. On one day ski trip at Lake Mountain I had my weekend pack with a sleeping mat and a down jacket. Everyone else had much smaller packs, and they laughed at me. Then we came upon a skier with a broken leg on the snow, shivering. My mat and down jacket were put to good use, and they stopped laughing at me. I don't use spare gear much, but when I do it's needed.

pazzar wrote:People who carry closed cell foam mats on the outside of their pack on narrow tracks. I ended up carrying what seemed like a whole mattress out of the Southern Ranges.

Agree. Little bits of blue mat litter tracks. The following is not an annoyance, just a bumbly. At Lake StClair I was relaxing after a trip, OLT or Walls, can't recall. A party was about to head off, north to perhaps Pine Valley. One person had a sleeping bag in a very light stuff sac lashed to the outside of the pack. After a few minutes of rain the bag would have been very soggy. At my suggestion the pack was repacked with the bag inside.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby north-north-west » Tue 16 Dec, 2014 10:35 am

ElvenCraft Gear wrote:...To appease my inner bumpkin, I now assume anyone who doesn't answer a "g'day" is - deaf, mentally disadvantaged, or doesn't speak english.
This is easily remedied by getting in their face, and saying very loudly and slowly "G'DAY - 'OW YA GOIN ?" ...

I'm deaf, higher than average intelligence, and speak very good English. Also highly anti-social. If you did that to me there's a good chance you'd be left a whimpering, bruised wreck.
What the *&%$#! blue blazes makes you think that your preference for social interraction is more important than my preference for solitude?

ps: Another one: inaccurate guidebooks. Like the one that insists that the scrub low down on Horizontal Hell - errrr, sorry, that should be 'Hill' - is really bad but that it 'gets easier as you ascend'. Actually, apart from a little bit by the lakeshore you can get really close to the summit with virtually no scrub, but the last bit is diabolical if you pick the wrong line, and not easy whichever line you take.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby vicrev » Tue 16 Dec, 2014 12:36 pm

north-north-west wrote:
ElvenCraft Gear wrote:...To appease my inner bumpkin, I now assume anyone who doesn't answer a "g'day" is - deaf, mentally disadvantaged, or doesn't speak english.
This is easily remedied by getting in their face, and saying very loudly and slowly "G'DAY - 'OW YA GOIN ?" ...

I'm deaf, higher than average intelligence, and speak very good English. Also highly anti-social. If you did that to me there's a good chance you'd be left a whimpering, bruised wreck.
What the *&%$#! blue blazes makes you think that your preference for social interraction is more important than my preference for solitude?

ps: Another one: inaccurate guidebooks. Like the one that insists that the scrub low down on Horizontal Hell - errrr, sorry, that should be 'Hill' - is really bad but that it 'gets easier as you ascend'. Actually, apart from a little bit by the lakeshore you can get really close to the summit with virtually no scrub, but the last bit is diabolical if you pick the wrong line, and not easy whichever line you take.
Well said, n-n-w, I am also partly deaf,If anyone got in my face yelling,I would also, have an unfavourable reaction, to that thoughtless twat. :x ...
vicrev

Postby GBW » Wed 17 Dec, 2014 8:33 pm

Some of these comments. :shock: For me, if I meet someone who wants to talk, that's fine. If they don't want to talk, that's fine. If they want to show me their gear, that's fine too. What other people are doing and the way they're doing it is the least of my worries. I'm just out there to have a good time.

Ants.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Earwig » Thu 18 Dec, 2014 10:43 am

Day 3. Doesn’t matter if it’s a three day walk or a seven day hike – day three usually sucks. It should always include great views or a fantastic beach or something to counter it’s day three-ness. Extended hiking on roads or vehicle tracks also sucks.
Live life moving around so when you're dead people can tell the difference.
MY HIKING BLOG http://ian-folly.blogspot.com/
Earwig
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby perfectlydark » Thu 18 Dec, 2014 12:30 pm

Shoes soles ripping off sucks
perfectlydark

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 18 Dec, 2014 1:30 pm

Leeches suck.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby walkerchris77 » Thu 18 Dec, 2014 7:16 pm

Lophophaps wrote:Leeches suck.

Hehe
walkerchris77

Postby corvus » Thu 18 Dec, 2014 8:42 pm

GBW wrote:

Some of these comments. :shock: For me, if I meet someone who wants to talk, that's fine. If they don't want to talk, that's fine. If they want to show me their gear, that's fine too. What other people are doing and the way they're doing it is the least of my worries. I'm just out there to have a good time.

Ants.

I agree.
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby neilmny » Fri 19 Dec, 2014 7:05 am

corvus wrote:
GBW wrote:............

Ants.

I agree.

X2
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

PreviousNext

Return to Bushwalking Discussion