Things you hate, dislike or annoy you when camping/bushwalki

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: Things you hate, dislike or annoy you when camping/bushw

Postby clance » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 11:43 pm

Hot nights and mosquitoes

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk
clance
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby MrsGypsy » Tue 10 May, 2016 8:33 pm

Old rusty fence wire left lying on the ground or tangled around old fallen fence posts or trees.
Ugly, sneaky, and dangerous pokey-uppy-sticky-uppy bits waiting to ensnare my, my shoes or clothes, other people's, and other unknowing unseeing innocents.
Despicably despisable :evil:
(very low back of throat growl sound)
"For today only!" - it is only ever this moment that counts...!
MrsGypsy
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Postby icefest » Wed 11 May, 2016 10:52 am

north-north-west wrote:
icefest wrote:
north-north-west wrote:Walking for days in beautiful weather to get the chance to climb a hard-to-reach peak - and the weather goes off on summitting day, and stays bad until you're well on your way back out. :x

Which one was that?

Tramonbloodytane. Should have gone via Manfred rather than High Dome, but I wanted to explore the Amphitheatre properly - that didn't happen either, of course. :roll:

Aww, Isn't the top just scrub anyway though?
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Wed 11 May, 2016 1:35 pm

Not 100%. There's a rock rib that breaks through the scrub, not too differently to the Chimaera. But that route goes through some really good country and it would have been neat to get some photos. Plus the fagus was out. Plus I now still have to go back in to properly explore the Amphitheatre.
Plus it would have been a brilliant set of shots for the game. We've never had one from Tramontane in there.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby jobell » Wed 11 May, 2016 2:16 pm

March flies. No contest. Horrible things.
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R.Tolkien
jobell
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby north-north-west » Wed 11 May, 2016 3:40 pm

jobell wrote:March flies. No contest. Horrible things.

With you on that. Can remember a day on BHP when even jogging - with long sleeves and long pants and all - wasn't enough to keep the buggers off late in the afternoon. Horse flies on the BHP, marsh flies up near Jagungal.
Only thing they're good for is feeding fish - spent a very pleasant afternoon by Doubtful Creek once, cooking and eating and relaxing whilst swatting bities and dropping them in the water for the fish. It's just SOOOO satisfying. :D
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GBW » Wed 11 May, 2016 4:11 pm

Yes, flies with teeth...didn't find them quite as bad this year but last year from Baw Baw - Fiddlers they were a real pita. Even went as far as arming myself with a 2 person s2s nano fly net this year which allowed us to sit out the hottest part of the day in peace without being eaten alive.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jobell » Wed 11 May, 2016 4:25 pm

March flies seem to have the same tastes in humans as mosquitoes which meant that they drove me to distraction (and once on a very hot and long day to near tears) while leaving my walking partner mostly alone on the AAWT last year. I would sit during our breaks and use a shoe to swat at them. I'll try feeding fish with them next time, that sounds like fun.
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R.Tolkien
jobell
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby icefest » Wed 11 May, 2016 5:15 pm

north-north-west wrote:Not 100%. There's a rock rib that breaks through the scrub, not too differently to the Chimaera. But that route goes through some really good country and it would have been neat to get some photos. Plus the fagus was out. Plus I now still have to go back in to properly explore the Amphitheatre.
Plus it would have been a brilliant set of shots for the game. We've never had one from Tramontane in there.

Oh, I might have to go one day...

That would be really hard.

And I have another to add: Forgetting to turn off my camera and then not having any more photos for the rest of the trip.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Wed 11 May, 2016 6:16 pm

icefest wrote:
north-north-west wrote:Not 100%. There's a rock rib that breaks through the scrub, not too differently to the Chimaera. But that route goes through some really good country and it would have been neat to get some photos. Plus the fagus was out. Plus I now still have to go back in to properly explore the Amphitheatre.

Oh, I might have to go one day...

Easiest route is Marion track > Manfred > Murchison River. Pick the right lines and the return trip from the river is an easy half day. Otherwise only issues are the cliff lines on the eastern side of Manfred and the scrub around the Heel.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby walk2wineries » Wed 11 May, 2016 6:34 pm

MrsGypsy wrote:Old rusty fence wire left lying on the ground or tangled around old fallen fence posts or trees.
Ugly, sneaky, and dangerous pokey-uppy-sticky-uppy bits waiting to ensnare my, my shoes or clothes, other people's, and other unknowing unseeing innocents.
Despicably despisable :evil:
(very low back of throat growl sound)

OOh, yes. Ditto barbed or electric wire surrounding a rickety stile, threatening impalement or electrocution if you slip. Unmarked electric fencing on a public path or right-of-way.
walk2wineries
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MickyB » Wed 11 May, 2016 7:15 pm

walk2wineries wrote:Unmarked electric fencing on a public path or right-of-way.

Agree that they should be marked but it's easy to tell if it's an electic fence or not. An electric fence will have some type of insulator (plastic, porcelain etc) on each post that the wire will pass through. If the wire is stapled directly onto a timber post or passes direct through a star picket post then the fence is not electric.
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Giddy_up » Thu 12 May, 2016 2:14 am

MickyB wrote:

Agree that they should be marked but it's easy to tell if it's an electic fence or not. An electric fence will have some type of insulator (plastic, porcelain etc) on each post that the wire will pass through. If the wire is stapled directly onto a timber post or passes direct through a star picket post then the fence is not electric.

Just be careful with that last piece of information. It's true most of the time but a new fencing technique is using steel star pickets that are suspended on highly strained wire with the only insulators on the main posts which could be 200 m apart. It looks just like a normal farm fence except the steel posts will be just off the ground and used as "spreader bars", I hope that makes sense.
causa latet, vis est notissima
Giddy_up
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby MickyB » Thu 12 May, 2016 7:44 am

Giddy_up wrote:
MickyB wrote:

Just be careful with that last piece of information. It's true most of the time but a new fencing technique is using steel star pickets that are suspended on highly strained wire with the only insulators on the main posts which could be 200 m apart. It looks just like a normal farm fence except the steel posts will be just off the ground and used as "spreader bars", I hope that makes sense.

Thanks for pointing that out Giddy_up. I haven't dealt with electric fencing in about 15 years so I'm unaware of the new techniques. With the method you've mentioned I'm guessing all wires in the fence (not just the top wire) and the post would be electric?
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Giddy_up » Thu 12 May, 2016 8:50 am

Quite right MickyB, they are all live.

A simple test is to find a long stem of green grass if available (has to be green or fresh and I would say 6-8" long). Place the very tip of the grass on to the wires in question and slowly slide the grass forward towards the fence. You will hear a very slight ticking noise once the grass and current ground through you. You won't get shocked as the grass isn't capable of carrying all the current through to you and just "ticks" once sufficient grounding is made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
causa latet, vis est notissima
Giddy_up
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 12 May, 2016 9:09 am

walk2wineries wrote:OOh, yes. Ditto barbed or electric wire surrounding a rickety stile, threatening impalement or electrocution if you slip. Unmarked electric fencing on a public path or right-of-way.

Access to the true right bank of the Snowy River in Victoria below McKillops Bridge was across a farm. We sought permission and found the gap in the fence, guarded by a single strand of electric fence. There was a sleeve of plastic, probably irrigation or garden hose, maybe a metre long. The idea was that you grabbed the hose and had it going behind you as you gingerly stepped over. Shorts were a lot shorter then than today. One lady grabbed the hose to so that as she stepped over the hose was in front of her. This was a bad idea, as she received shocks high up on her inside thighs. I regret that I cannot detail the treatment. Suffice that it was a major ouch.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby puredingo » Thu 12 May, 2016 12:47 pm

Some people pay good money for that!

I've had it quite a few times when out hunting on local properties. Coat yourself in a lather of sweat and the shock ramps up X's10!!!
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 09 Aug, 2016 9:00 am

Have we covered the Inconsistent Signage issue?
At Dove Lake, the first sign says 'Ronny Creek via Lake Lilla 1hr 30 mins return'
5 minutes and a few photos on, at the first turnoff, the sign says 'Ronny Creek via lake Lilla 1 hr'
Some 15 minutes along at the next turnoff, it's 'Ronny Creek via Lake Lilla 35 mins'.

Get. Your. Facts. Straight. PLEASE!
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby loganator » Wed 24 Aug, 2016 7:12 pm

Tussocks! They look innocent and grasslike but they're horrible, making you judge every step, threatening to snap your legs, inundating your feet in marshy water that no shoe can keep out. Did I mention they bring you to a snails crawl? Add a foot of snow to the mixture and you're guaranteed the harshest slog of your life.
Nothing is going to stop me,
Even if my body falls broken
My mind and spirit shall carry me on
loganator
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby north-north-west » Wed 01 Nov, 2017 7:53 am

Trying to plan a trip and getting a forecast for the next week that is "Cloudy. Very high (90%) chance of showers, most likely in the morning and afternoon. Snow falling above 600 metres. Winds westerly 25 to 35 km/h turning southwesterly during the morning. "
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Heremeahappy1 » Thu 01 Feb, 2018 7:06 pm

Seeing the clean, dirt free individual on top of some remote mountain who even after 8 days bush still looks fresh, well fed, rested and sweat free... and theres me filthy, sweaty as camel herders jockstrap, bleary eyed 15 mins after leaving the car.
Heremeahappy1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 11:02 am

People who break vegetation on an overgrowing track, but leave it dangling.

If you're going to break it to make passage easier, break it right off and chuck it away. Leaving it attached creates a greater problem than the living vegetation.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Neo » Wed 07 Feb, 2018 5:01 pm

north-north-west wrote:People who break vegetation on an overgrowing track, but leave it dangling.

If you're going to break it to make passage easier, break it right off and chuck it away. Leaving it attached creates a greater problem than the living vegetation.

If it's green don't be mean, if it's brown you can knock it down.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Tortoise » Wed 07 Feb, 2018 5:57 pm

Cleaning up, especially boots and gaiters when I get home. :(
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ChrisJHC » Fri 09 Feb, 2018 4:45 pm

Tortoise wrote:Cleaning up, especially boots and gaiters when I get home. :(

Umm, getting your gear out 6 months after you last used it and realising you didn’t clean it when you put it away!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby lily2217 » Thu 22 Feb, 2018 10:33 pm

Going to the toilet!! and FlIESS
lily2217
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Geevesy » Fri 23 Feb, 2018 4:10 pm

north-north-west wrote:Trying to plan a trip and getting a forecast for the next week that is "Cloudy. Very high (90%) chance of showers, most likely in the morning and afternoon. Snow falling above 600 metres. Winds westerly 25 to 35 km/h turning southwesterly during the morning. "

:lol: :lol: :lol:

In Tasmania? Never...

I personally hate stuck up Overland Track wardens/rangers who don't know their own guidelines...

Oh and the Ferry operators... don't get me started! :evil: :evil:
A path! A path!
Geevesy

Postby johnw » Fri 23 Feb, 2018 8:26 pm

Discovering that your sleeping pad has developed a slow leak since you last used it - in the middle of the night when you are on it :evil:
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Fri 14 Dec, 2018 11:23 am

There is nothing more infuriating and frustrating than cancelling a projected trip because of a highly unfavourable forecast when said forecast turns out to be about as reliable as the average political promise.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zapruda » Fri 14 Dec, 2018 11:26 am

north-north-west wrote:There is nothing more infuriating and frustrating than cancelling a projected trip because of a highly unfavourable forecast when said forecast turns out to be about as reliable as the average political promise.

Story of my life...
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

PreviousNext

Return to Bushwalking Discussion