Things you hate, dislike or annoy you when camping/bushwalki

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: Things you hate, dislike or annoy you when camping/bushw

Postby Strider » Mon 05 Jan, 2015 9:35 pm

When I end up on an exposed ridge line, for three hours in the searing heat, and I've forgotten my sunscreen :(
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Tue 06 Jan, 2015 6:28 am

walk2wineries wrote:Directions that say "after 10 minutes turn left." WHOSE 10 minutes? These sorts of directions will almost always call both 100m flat and 500m uphill "five minutes."

Ah yes. My pet hate with guidebooks and signs. Why do they insist on giving times instead of distances?
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby philm » Tue 06 Jan, 2015 6:42 am

When your gaiters just won't stay up and you have to keep stopping to lift them
Even worse when the person you are walking with's gaiters keep falling down and you have to keep stopping for them!
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby neilmny » Tue 06 Jan, 2015 8:18 am

philm wrote:When your gaiters just won't stay up and you have to keep stopping to lift them
Even worse when the person you are walking with's gaiters keep falling down and you have to keep stopping for them!

Hmmm ... I'd trash the gaiters and get better ones.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 06 Jan, 2015 8:21 am

north-north-west wrote:Ah yes. My pet hate with guidebooks and signs. Why do they insist on giving times instead of distances?

Then there are times of 100m distance with 200m vertical...
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 07 Jan, 2015 11:00 am

north-north-west wrote:Ah yes. My pet hate with guidebooks and signs. Why do they insist on giving times instead of distances?

Time is a natural unit of distance. However, given that speeds vary with a number of factors, using time only is ill-advised. I prefer the form " two kilometres, about 40 minutes" as this gives the best of both. Also, having done the two kilometres one can work out if one is going faster or slower than the notes indicate.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby north-north-west » Wed 07 Jan, 2015 12:57 pm

Lophophaps wrote:

Time is a natural unit of distance. However, given that speeds vary with a number of factors, using time only is ill-advised. I prefer the form " two kilometres, about 40 minutes" as this gives the best of both. Also, having done the two kilometres one can work out if one is going faster or slower than the notes indicate.

Sage.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Will305 » Fri 09 Jan, 2015 2:16 pm

Nothing sucks more than rain on the trail.
Other then that a wet sleeping bay on a cold winters night is enough to sent any camper packing :)
Will305
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby DanShell » Fri 09 Jan, 2015 6:56 pm

I get disappointed when niggling injuries/health issues/or just general soreness starts to lessen my enjoyment for a walk.

Ive had plantar fasciitis in my left foot for over 12 months now and I am just about fed up with it. Ive tried everything and wasted too much money trying to get it fixed but no one seems to be able to fix it. Help it yes, fix it no. :(

So after every day I am in all sorts of pain, so thats my mate or dislike when bushwalking.
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Happy Pirate » Fri 09 Jan, 2015 7:51 pm

DanShell wrote:I get disappointed when niggling injuries/health issues/or just general soreness starts to lessen my enjoyment for a walk.

Ive had plantar fasciitis in my left foot for over 12 months now and I am just about fed up with it. Ive tried everything and wasted too much money trying to get it fixed but no one seems to be able to fix it. Help it yes, fix it no. :(

So after every day I am in all sorts of pain, so thats my mate or dislike when bushwalking.

ouch!
5 years now with Plantar fascitis and sorry to tell you it NEVER entirely goes away. The first 12 months was the worst but I couldn't carry an O/N pack for almost 2 years. Then I eased into it with the best boots & shoes and inserts.
The more weight pushing down on your feet the more the arches stretch at the scar tissue and re-inflame. It was my main motivation for going ultralight. Also for taking up canoeing.
These days it doesn't stop me walking but if I stand in one spot for more than a couple of minutes I have to sit down for the pain.
I found the foot logic store in Melbourne had better inserts than the typical ortho-heel pharmacy brand. Shop around and get what feels best. Podiatrists were useless and I was too scared to try cortisone shots.

best of luck
Steve
With a Glass Eye & 3 Wooden Legs:
http://www.glasseyephoto.com.au
Happy Pirate
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby zebee » Fri 09 Jan, 2015 8:09 pm

Everyone's plantar fascitis is different... I developed it after a motorcycle crash where I broke my left knee. The right leg did all the work for a long time and developed PF in protest.

I ended up with custom orthotics made from a cast of my feet and used them in everything I wore on my feet for about 3 years. If I didn't, then the pain was awful.

I also did a lot of stretching. Stretching the calf and tendon by putting the sole of my foot on a wall - much more effective than the usual ones - and using my hands to stretch the foot itself, especially the toes and ball as per http://www.abc.net.au/health/minutes/st ... 907953.htm

It took maybe 4 years but I went from not being able to stand in the mornings and being in agony when getting up after sitting down or standing for any length of time to being pain free.

I think the custom orthotics were essential I have short wide feet with a naturally low arch so needed something shaped to fit me and my way of walking. The store bought ones just didn't work.

Zebee
zebee
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby DanShell » Fri 09 Jan, 2015 8:11 pm

Thanks Steve. My occupation has me on my feet for 8 hours day so that doesn't help. I find myself constantly stretching etc to try and relieve the pain while at work.

The odd part is that after spending a silly amount of money on things that don't work, a good old rolling pin under my foot works the best! So after a big days walking I am the person searching around camp for a nice chunky round stick to roll under my foot!
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby DanShell » Fri 09 Jan, 2015 8:16 pm

zebee wrote:Everyone's plantar fascitis is different... I developed it after a motorcycle crash where I broke my left knee. The right leg did all the work for a long time and developed PF in protest.

I ended up with custom orthotics made from a cast of my feet and used them in everything I wore on my feet for about 3 years. If I didn't, then the pain was awful.

I also did a lot of stretching. Stretching the calf and tendon by putting the sole of my foot on a wall - much more effective than the usual ones - and using my hands to stretch the foot itself, especially the toes and ball as per http://www.abc.net.au/health/minutes/st ... 907953.htm

It took maybe 4 years but I went from not being able to stand in the mornings and being in agony when getting up after sitting down or standing for any length of time to being pain free.

I think the custom orthotics were essential I have short wide feet with a naturally low arch so needed something shaped to fit me and my way of walking. The store bought ones just didn't work.

Zebee

At risk of turning this into a Plantar Faciitis thread (might be worth starting a thread on the subject?) Ill give some more info.

I too have broken my leg many years ago in a motorcycle accident, it is the same leg that I have trouble with.

I can not stand on my foot when I first get up, it is way too painful. Even after a 30 minute meal break at work I limp out of the lunch room for the first 10-20 metres as the pain is too much :( I agree with the stretching helping, particularly the type you mention but the old rolling pin is my best friend ;)
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby corvus » Fri 09 Jan, 2015 8:32 pm

First thing is to check out your footwear if it bends easily it is not suitable you need shoes with strong resistance when you bend the sole then add a good orthotic I use Foot Logics and they seem to work for me
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby Happy Pirate » Fri 09 Jan, 2015 8:43 pm

corvus wrote:First thing is to check out your footwear if it bends easily it is not suitable you need shoes with strong resistance when you bend the sole then add a good orthotic I use Foot Logics and they seem to work for me

Agreed. I find my Columbia or Rossi boots much more protective of foot pain than flimsy flexible shoes. And I was a dedicated 'shoe' guy before.
Dan - have you tied the frozen coke bottle technique?
Like the rolling pin but use a bottle of frozen water. I found wrapped in a towel helped. Stretching and reducing inflammation at the same time.
Like zebee said it's different for everyone but is there any way you can work sitting for a while? You need to ease the weight off your feet regularly.

To go back on topic I also hate it when you get to some pristine or important heritage feature and some immature W@^%&R has drawn a peni$ on it....

Steve
Happy Pirate
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby DanShell » Fri 09 Jan, 2015 9:13 pm

Steve, I have to admit I haven't used the frozen bottle under my foot. I have of course read about it numerous times and often thought its worth a try but I haven't done it. I just went and put a bottle in the freezer, ill start giving it a go instead of the rolling pin. At this stage Ill try anything. There is zero chance of being able to sit any more than my 30 minute meal break per day at my work place.

And yes I agree any graffiti or defacing of a heritage building or any structure for that matter is a senseless act. Keep it for the guest book if you must be a tool and even then its not wanted.
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lindsay » Sat 10 Jan, 2015 8:33 am

The frozen bottle, rolling pin combination worked for me, as did custom orthotics. My PF has almost entirely gone.
Lindsay
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Happy Pirate » Sat 10 Jan, 2015 8:33 pm

Orthoheel, Birkenstock, Brooks runners are about the best supportive shoes & sandals you can get.
If you have to be on your feet all day, get the best support and cushioning you can get. I also find Keens pretty good. (No personal connection with any of these).
I've heard custom orthotics don't add anything over off the shelf stuff and I've heard some folk swear by them so try as much as you can and do what works for you.
Best of luck
Steve

Also hate it when someone pitches a tent next to yours when the rest of the camp area is empty but I've ranted about this one before.....
Happy Pirate
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby perfectlydark » Sun 11 Jan, 2015 11:45 am

Its worth a second rant. That would be my biggest hate too
perfectlydark

Postby walk2wineries » Tue 13 Jan, 2015 1:08 pm

DanShell wrote:.//...

Ive had plantar fasciitis in my left foot for over.,,.//...........So after every day I am in all sorts of pain, so thats my mate or dislike when bushwalking.

Well that puts my issues into perspective! So sorry, hope some of the advice from yr fellow sufferers will help :oops:
walk2wineries
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby DarrenM » Wed 14 Jan, 2015 8:28 pm

Happy Pirate wrote:
To go back on topic I also hate it when you get to some pristine or important heritage feature and some immature W@^%&R has drawn a peni$ on it....

Steve

You mean like this?

DarrenM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walkerchris77 » Thu 15 Jan, 2015 7:39 am

Certainly some intelligent life forms out there
walkerchris77

Postby MartyGwynne » Thu 15 Jan, 2015 5:06 pm

Yup I with you guys about the plantar fasciitis, it really sucks. But kayaking in winter is very good for it as your feet are iced well to keep the pain down.....
I thought it had gone for a week.
Never seen any 'painted or drawn' penis's maybe it's a new thing.
I think the most annoying for me is not quite being able to get to where I want to get to such as around that bend, up to the top, just a bit further will be better, if it wasn't raining so heavily .....
MartyGwynne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby JohnStrider » Sun 18 Jan, 2015 11:41 am

When a map lies to you and says it's 8km to the top of a mountain when really it's about 10km with the last two kms all up hill.

Walked up Mt St Leonard in Healesville yesterday.
JohnStrider
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Happy Pirate » Sat 24 Jan, 2015 9:37 pm

Strider wrote:When I end up on an exposed ridge line, for three hours in the searing heat, and I've forgotten my sunscreen :(

Oooo yeah. I once walked 3 days of a 10 day walk in the Vic Alps with a T shirt on my head - the neckline around my forehead and the rest wrapped around my head - because I forgot to bring sunscreen. After that thankfully I met folk who squeezed half their tube into a bag for me.
Walking fashion eh?! the things they don't tell.
These days I wear a hat....
Steve
Happy Pirate
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Happy Pirate » Sat 24 Jan, 2015 9:43 pm

DarrenM wrote:
Happy Pirate wrote:

Steve

You mean like this?

Ooooh ... Ouch! yep just like that.

I won't even bother to hijack this thread with 'WT *$&# is it with graffiti and a penis obsession' but it does beg the question...

Steve
Happy Pirate
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby geoskid » Sun 25 Jan, 2015 1:02 pm

Sandflies- not really keen on the wee little things.
Did tent based st james walkway in nz earlier this month (will endeavor to write report when I get back in a few days).
Prefer our snakes and leeches.
Bushmans deet works for a while, next time I will try baby oil/dettol mix applied liberally.
Awesome scenery though.
Critical Thinking.. the awakening of the intellect to the study of itself.
http://www.criticalthinking.org/
geoskid

Postby sim1oz » Sun 25 Jan, 2015 7:21 pm

When someone says they prefer our Oz snakes and leeches that scares me a bit about NZ...

My kids would add any creepy crawly or flying insect that bites, from sandflies (haven't come across them) to mosquitoes, leeches and march flies. Last year my 10yo refused to sit for the remaining 8 hours of our walk after meeting a leech at our first rest break. I finally bought a pop-up mosquito shelter so we can sit and take a break without hysterics.

We bushwalk to enjoy nature and find a bit of space, so I agree with Philm
philm wrote:When you find a nice camping spot in the middle of no where and someone else comes along and pitches their tent near by!
Carpe diem!
sim1oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby geoskid » Sun 25 Jan, 2015 8:34 pm

sim1oz wrote:When someone says they prefer our Oz snakes and leeches that scares me about nz

Yeah, I think we get comfortable dealing with what we are used to.
It took a couple of days to be at ease walking through long grass.
Edit- I havnt expressed that very well at all, but I hope you gat my drift.
Critical Thinking.. the awakening of the intellect to the study of itself.
http://www.criticalthinking.org/
geoskid

Postby walkerchris77 » Sun 25 Jan, 2015 8:57 pm

March flys that are out in January. !!!!!!!!!
walkerchris77

PreviousNext

Return to Bushwalking Discussion