Stupid Boot Laces Tension Question

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Stupid Boot Laces Tension Question

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 02 Oct, 2007 11:10 am

OK, this is a question I've always been too embarrassed to ask, because it's so basic, but here goes anyhow...

How tight do people pull their laces when tying them up on bushwalking boots?

When I first started walking, I used to pull them all as tight as I could get them to provide what I though would be the best ankle protection (like I used to with ice skates as a kid). After several years of this, I accidentally discovered that my feet got a lot less tired (on the soles, as well as the tops) if the laces weren't so tight, so I started doing them "fairly tight", instead of "very tight".

I'm now getting to the stage where I'm starting to experiment a bit more, and tying the laces even looser still. It sure is more comfortable. I figure that they only have to be tight enough so that the foot doesn't move around inside the boot enough to rub (should especially avoid lifting/rubbing of the heel). For me, the optimum now seems to be to have the laces quite loose at the bottom (above the foot), and quite tight at the top (around the ankle and leg).

This would have been a lot easier in my old Scarpas which had a lace locking eyelet at the ankle to allow two different tensions on the foot and the leg (which is how I got the idea that different tensions might be worth trying).

So am I doing this correctly now, or am I going to sprain my ankle, or do myself some other injury? How tight do other people do up their boot laces?
Last edited by Son of a Beach on Tue 02 Oct, 2007 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby walkinTas » Tue 02 Oct, 2007 11:23 am

Its not really a stupid question. I'll be interested in reading other peoples thoughts on this too.

I alluded to this in a discussion of boot, and Yes, I agree that if you do your boots up too tight your feet will get tired very quickly. On the other hand, too loose and the boot will move against your foot when you walk which will result in hot spots and blisters.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Speculator » Tue 02 Oct, 2007 12:21 pm

I've been wondering about this lately too. I used to get a bit of minor soreness across the top of my feet if the laces were too tight, so I started curling my toes downward when I was lacing my boots up, and lacing them up tightly, then relaxing my foot afterwards. This makes the foot higher in the boot when lacing them up, and means you don't lace them up too tightly. I figure with my foot in that position I'm simulating a position where my foot might need extra movement in the boot. So far it's been better than lacing up tightly over a relaxed foot.

All that said though, I've never had any great problems with boots so far (touch wood), and my feet don't complain much so I might not be the best example for some.
---
Peak bagging points: 10. Peak bagging bagging points: 10000.
Speculator
Optimus Imago
Optimus Imago

Re: Stupid Boot Laces Tension Question

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 02 Oct, 2007 1:25 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:This would have been a lot easier in my old Scarpas which had a lace locking eyelet at the ankle to allow two different tensions on the foot and the leg (which is how I got the idea that different tensions might be worth trying).

Oops... what am I saying? I've just had a look at my current Raichle boots and they also have a locking eyelet right at the ankle. I've just always skipped over it with the laces (a habit I got into with my old boots to avoid the laces pushing a seam into the top of my foot, I think).

Well good! I can now try my dual tensioning again. :D
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Joe » Tue 02 Oct, 2007 2:25 pm

I have to be really careful with lacing of boots. My orthotics raise my left foot up LOTS in the centre...so if i do boots up too tight i cut off circulation to my toes :P I have been told by many podiatrists and also just worked out through experimentation that the best (for me) is to leave boots just tight up to where they meet your ankle then very firm (not tight) across the ankle loosening up towards the top. Works every time for me. Anyone who wears good quality elastic sided boots (like blundstones etc) will notice that they are set up exactly the same way with the main pressure across ankle and just firm every where else...loosening to the top of boot...thats because it works :)
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Boot Tying Methods

Postby norts » Tue 02 Oct, 2007 3:09 pm

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/lacingmethods.htm

This gives you alotof info on different lacing styles.
I actually use one of his knots on all my boots these days. I use Ians knot, my laces use to always come undone but i have never had an issue with this knot.
When I was in the Army I would never do up the boot to the top as the GP boot would lace too high. Just because there are holes doesnt mean you have use them.

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: Boot Tying Methods

Postby Joe » Tue 02 Oct, 2007 3:25 pm

norts wrote:http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/lacingmethods.htm

Roger

haha awesome. I found that site ages ago and relaced all my wifes shoes into the Bushwalk/cycling fasion of lacing...gave her the irrits big time...I also tried his lattice lacing in some Cons and although it looks interesting its next to useless.
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

Postby Penguin » Tue 02 Oct, 2007 4:37 pm

Thanks for the web site norts. Obsessive compulsive has be the definition.

Because my big toes are big, I have the laces on the hrizontal section of the boot tight and then loose up the top. Otherwise I bash the hell out of the tops of my toes, especially going down hill. Son of a beach the Raichle's do this well.

Just goes to show that there is no ideal way, just what suits each of us. Also as we all age we get more idiosyncratic about what we like. Alwyas willing to try new ways of doing things but often find i revert back to what I previously found comfortable. I just bought a new pack, a macpac on old model run out. I still find the Macpac harness fits my short back the best and have never had trouble carrying my old Macpac quantum harness pack (max eight days in a row) in the past. I am sure other people find the quantum harness uncomfortable.

Taswaterfalls - I may have to go to orthotics soon, any suggestions of what to look out for?
Penguin
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Joe » Tue 02 Oct, 2007 4:46 pm

Penguin wrote:Thanks for the web site norts. Obsessive compulsive has be the definition.

Because my big toes are big, I have the laces on the hrizontal section of the boot tight and then loose up the top. Otherwise I bash the hell out of the tops of my toes, especially going down hill. Son of a beach the Raichle's do this well.

Just goes to show that there is no ideal way, just what suits each of us. Also as we all age we get more idiosyncratic about what we like. Alwyas willing to try new ways of doing things but often find i revert back to what I previously found comfortable. I just bought a new pack, a macpac on old model run out. I still find the Macpac harness fits my short back the best and have never had trouble carrying my old Macpac quantum harness pack (max eight days in a row) in the past. I am sure other people find the quantum harness uncomfortable.

Taswaterfalls - I may have to go to orthotics soon, any suggestions of what to look out for?

Ive had them from all the podiatrists in north of state, Devonport Podiatry, Lightfoot in launceston (what a great name for a podiatrist) and also Stuart Ogsden in Burnie. Burnies are what i am wearing now. they are totally different from anyone elses. I havent worn them long enough to say for sure but they seem so far to be damn good. Get ancillary cover on your health care before you do though...half the cost of orthotics that way :)
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

Re: Boot Tying Methods

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 02 Oct, 2007 7:45 pm

norts wrote:http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/lacingmethods.htm

heheh... I actually linked to his site in the orginal post here... but seems I was too subtle for most people to try the links. ;)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Bushwalking Discussion