Steers/Mc coy hut location

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Steers/Mc coy hut location

Postby 3rd weekender » Sat 08 Nov, 2008 10:57 am

Hi

does anyone know how to get to mc coys/steers hut at south Febuary plains .corvus your name appeared on a blog site discussing this question . I think you turn off right off the Arm river track at Wurra Gurra creek bridge heading to pelion and head toward lake How (NWWC)
3rd weekender
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Steers/Mc coy hut location

Postby tasadam » Sat 08 Nov, 2008 11:27 am

I've never heard of it myself, though this might be a good time to slip in a reminder about one of the forum rules, in case it is indeed off-track...
Avoid posting detailed information on accessing sensitive areas without recognised tracks to public topics, but rather use private messages, email, or other non-public means to communicate such information instead. Feel free to ask questions about such areas publicly, so long as the post includes a reminder of this rule to get answers privately only.

If in doubt about what you are replying to in this regard, best to play it safe and respond with PM's. 8)
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby norts » Sat 08 Nov, 2008 5:55 pm

McCoys Hut No1 is marked in Chapmans book pg 113. It is just east of Wurragarra Ck.

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby flyfisher » Sat 08 Nov, 2008 6:53 pm

There is a pad which turns off the Arm river track before the Wurragarra creek bridge and is easily followed.
The hut is fairly well concealed amongst trees but if you look hard enough you will find it.We did !!

Flyfisher
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby tastrekker » Sat 08 Nov, 2008 9:04 pm

I've just re-read Simon Cubit's "A High Country Heritage" which confirms this is Basil Steers' first February Plains hut. The confusion about the hut's origin stems from it being incorrectly identified on a Cradle-St Clair NP map.
Check out my blog at www.blognow.com.au/tastrekker. I have three entries relating to each of Basil Steers' three February Plains huts. I have updated the entries to reflect my new knowledge of which hut is which. Thanks to those who have kindly commented on my blog and through this forum to show me the 'error of my ways.'
tastrekker
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tastrekker » Sat 08 Nov, 2008 9:13 pm

Oh no!!!
After that last post, I read the rest of the chapter about Basil Steers where it says, "a bushwalker's fire burnt the Wurragarra hut..."
I reckon the hut we are talking about here is a third incarnation of this secluded hut. Perhaps this reconstruction has happened more recently than the 1988 book from Simon Cubit. There is so much heritage wrapped up in these huts. How old is the youngest member of the Mountain Huts Preservation Society? Are any of them web savvy? I hope we don't lose all of the knowledge about these old places!
tastrekker
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Sat 08 Nov, 2008 9:59 pm

Such a Dark Horse I thought ,here was I cautioning you when you have the experience ,I know you now through asking questions and about your BB background with your Dad ,the Steers Hut saga could be a good introduction for you to the BWT Strollers (some of those you have met allready) you would be more than welcomed.
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Return to Bushwalking Discussion